Home

CPU Draft Logic is still not correct

This is a discussion on CPU Draft Logic is still not correct within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #33
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CPU Draft Logic is still not correct

There hasn't been a big issue with QB's drafted in my CFM yet. The Vikings had injury prone Bradford with Normal development and drafted a QB that is better for them long-term. The Rams have Goff who is still only around 79 or 80 OVR in his 4th season and Normal development and drafted a Quick development 81 OVR QB. That rookie will be a 90 OVR soon.

The Steelers drafted a Quick development guy at the end of the 1st round in my 1st draft and let Ben walk in FA. Now due to regression that young Steelers QB is higher OVR than Ben and Ben is playing for the Jets.

The Chargers kind of frustrate me because they have drafted a 1st round QB two straight years. But this season they are 2nd in the league in standings with 13 wins I think and their rookie QB with Superstar development is an MVP candidate, AFC OPOY front-runner, AFC OROY front-runner, and AFC QB of the Year front-runner. That rookie QB will be a stud after the season ends and they progress him. And they have a back-up 2nd year QB with Quick development that is 78 OVR. Hopefully they trade the back-up away, but I haven't seen those kinds of trades yet for QB's.

Trubisky is still sitting around 79 OVR with Slow development as the Bears franchise flounders in my CFM. They need a QB.

The Saints drafted 1st round QB with Normal development in my 3rd season after Brees retired. They already had a starter that was better OVR, but that starter missed most of the season due to injury. That Normal development 76 OVR QB went on to win NFC OROY and ended up being mid 80's OVR after one season with Superstar development.

I bumped Dalton down a bit to allow the 2nd year QB they drafted to start over him. Both the 2nd year QB and Dalton are Quick development, but the younger guy is going to develop past Dalton more quickly. No reason for the Bengals to sit around with low 80's Dalton for the rest of his career and pass on their 2nd year QB who could be 90+ OVR in a couple seasons.

So overall it appears like the teams in need of QB's or ready to move on from their long-term starters are properly drafting guys. The Jags also drafted a QB that has already overtaken Bortles.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #34
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MornyHan
The Cowboys drafted a QB after the first season. Hes 2 OVR points lower than Prescott but they are starting them.

Also the CPU never runs 2 HB systems for teams like the Saints, Falcons, Bears, Vikings, Bengals, etc.

It just ruins my CFM experience with the lack of attention given to CPU logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I do miss the 2 HB systems. There used to be sliders for it back in M13 I think. I don't remember those sliders as much in M15. But you could determine how many carries HB1 and HB2 got.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #35
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

For the most part in my experience draft has been decent. But don't get me wrong there are still some big WTF **** that goes down. Honestly I'm no code writer but I feel like I could do an excel code that would have a handful of checks in it to determine if a team should go in the first round with a guy or not. Simple things like age, dev, ovr, and maybe even where the player was drafted at would could be factored in. Or as has been stated simple tags such as QB of Future and things like that would solve it too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #36
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Yes, the draft logic does still need a fair amount of work especially concerning QBs. A team can have a starter around 85 and a back up at 77 both under 32yrs old and then will draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who is at 73 when they have more pressing needs at many positions.

Others have said it, designations like Franchise QB, First round pick, and more, need to come back, not with gameplay boost, but just to aid the CPU with its team management.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #37
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Part of the issue is the CPU has a set draft logic on when to take players. In the 1st round they don't reach much beyond 7 or 8 picks ahead of the projected draft position of that player. So unless the QB is projected to go in the top-5 the worst teams in the league that need a QB may not be drafting a QB of the future.

To mimic the NFL where teams slobber over QB potential and wildly reach on QB's in the 1st round, I think any QB projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round should have the CPU attempting to draft them in the top-5 picks.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #38
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Yes, the draft logic does still need a fair amount of work especially concerning QBs. A team can have a starter around 85 and a back up at 77 both under 32yrs old and then will draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who is at 73 when they have more pressing needs at many positions.

Others have said it, designations like Franchise QB, First round pick, and more, need to come back, not with gameplay boost, but just to aid the CPU with its team management.
Teams in real life do this like the Patriots. They move on from their back-up QB's as trade assets or in UFA that nets them a compensatory pick. Brady isn't young, of course, but they have drafted many back-up QB's over the years that go on to start for other teams.

Compensatory picks is one thing sorely missed in Madden CFM's. Because teams really don't get the compensation they should be getting for letting a stud walk in UFA.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #39
Pro

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

In my CFM I draft for all teams ...but I fully understand why people don't want to go down that road

But to be fair to the AI ..I don't mind a few *WTF* picks anyway ...in real life I was surprised when the Chiefs went after a QB with Alex Smith in place and many times over the years I've followed the draft I've been left bewildered by the picks real GMs make

The use of traits or badges ( or whatever they used to be called) would however solve quite a few of the issues I do have in that regard and additionally be used in some way with team chemistry systems should they ever be introduced

Last edited by briz1046; 02-22-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
I do miss the 2 HB systems. There used to be sliders for it back in M13 I think. I don't remember those sliders as much in M15. But you could determine how many carries HB1 and HB2 got.
I wish they would do this for all positions, so that way i could get my dline rotating every 3-5 snaps consistently.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »