Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #81
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Its in their contract with the nfl that they have to do an annual release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #82
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Mike Young needs to head up Franchise Mode. I believe it'll remain lifeless until that happens. Listening to his interview on the Press Row Podcast just confirms to me that this is what needs to happen.
It doesn't really matter who was in charge of franchise mode this year. They just didn't have the resources needed to devote time to it.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #83
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
It doesn't really matter who was in charge of franchise mode this year. They just didn't have the resources needed to devote time to it.
It's not about just this year. It's about the past few years. Especially last year, when they supposedly had a large amount of "resources" to spend on Franchise Mode. Mike Young understands that we need narrative in Franchise Mode to keep in fresh and interesting. That's the person I'd like to see develop the mode over the next few years.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's about talent.
Live sucks because the devs don't have the talent to make it a great single player mode.
Madden's CFM sucks because they don't have the talent to make it great.
Again, you get what you pay for. How much experience to the devs at EA have? Are they pulling talented people from other companies, or hiring kids fresh out of computer schools?
Do the people in charge have the passion and desire like the 2k honchos do?
I would venture to say no to the above. They're getting exactly what they're paying for talent-wise.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #85
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Is it all about code? What I mean is, is the code still in use today so old, and only patched and tested, that the chances that the development team would have to start over next to impossible?

I'm no expert, but is it possible that different game modes have unique code sources such that when one mode receives significant updates, those updates don't get transferred to other modes?

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of talent, as I doubt EA would put its golden goose in the hands of aggressive, inexperienced code monkeys looking to change the world. More likely it's just the appearance of talent based on priorities.

But yeah, I'm a little worried that CFM, as it exists today, will eventually be gone. I think that true sim players will eventually find solace in other titles where a high degree of detail and control will be the expectation, not the exception.

My 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #86
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Well they had those resources in M17 and what did we get?

Look, the problem people have is not with resource allocation, is with lack of direction. Everybody can understand if resources went other way but nobody can justify how the few resources they get are used in such a poor way.

I saw an earlier post from Armor, one of the most respected guys on the forum, refering to how enjoyable the game is.

All I can think of is: Man, you need to be a bit objective, the fact that you get enjoyment out of the game while BY OWN ADMISSION looking away from glaring issues and using your imagination, is not a justification for the mode being how it is.

I can enjoy a cheesburger while knowing is not good for me.

When it comes to resource allocation / attention to detail, Madden 17 added:

Practice squad ---> poorly functioning & flawed logic

"Big decisions" ---> ROFL don't get me started, to keep it short: Useless

Play the moment ---> Very cool idea, all sports games should have this. HOWEVER, SIMMED parts of POM are wacky to say the least.

Gameplanning ---> Yeah cool, I was mostly interested in my oppononents 1st down tendencies, great

Formation subs ---> Great addition via patch, but not fully functioning. They even acknowledged this as said it was just laying the foundation... Come M18 and no improvement or tuning to it.

All of the above untouched for M18...
Add that to legacy bugs like CPU signing players for all team before a league is started, non-user friendly multiplayer approach, IR not working properly in pre-season........................................... Bug #1000, and what you get is:

MADDEN'S FUTURE OF CFM IS ALARMING. PERIOD.

Unless they either:
a) Scrap CFM and go to a more traditional/sandbox type mode
b) Start their M19 blog by saying they fixed 100+ legacy bugs from old CFM

Then there is no hope. What is the point of them *maybe* allocating more resources to CFM if they will be used on adding more half-baked / poorly functioning features without fixing what was broken from before?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #87
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
It's not about just this year. It's about the past few years. Especially last year, when they supposedly had a large amount of "resources" to spend on Franchise Mode. Mike Young understands that we need narrative in Franchise Mode to keep in fresh and interesting. That's the person I'd like to see develop the mode over the next few years.
If that is the case then I'm willing to bet dollars on the focus for CFM in M19 being a re-done UI main hub like Fifa has done this year showing video-packages of league news and canned cut-scenes of signings/awards.

In my opinion, what CFM is lacking is NOT narrative, is simply DEPTH. Everything is
a) Shallow -Which is their interpretation of user friendly-
b) Incomplete
c) Poorly implemented
d) Missing
e) All of the above

**The correct answer is e) btw**

Just inject some life/things to do in Franchise mode! I can't stress enough how disappointing it would be if the focus for CFM in M19 is making it more story-like to "increase" immersion because I'm pretty sure that would soak up their resources taking away from actually adding deep features.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #88
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

The problem is they need to take a year off and add/implement the features the community wants into Franchise. Even just 4-5 things from Deuce's list. They can't do it in one year because when they add in those Franchise features, other aspects of the game break and they have to spend a ton of time fixing those issues.

This leaves no time for any of their money-making features like MUT, Longshot, etc. And the suits aren't going to take a year off because they'll lose out on all that cash.

So this is where we're at. I don't believe that the devs want to see the offline CFM gamers suffer. But their hands are completely tied by the suits.

It would be just as bad to release a game with 5 new, fresh and awesome CFM features only to have them either not work correctly or have other things break in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »