Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #129
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
My current theory is the the rise of fantasy football destroyed the interest in franchise modes by the hardcore users. There is still a contingent of die-hards, but we are now in an age when twenty and thirty-somethings view football primarily via their fantasy teams.

Because while it makes some people feel better to say the 12-year-olds are playing MUT, its is almost exclusively college age and thirty-something dudes playing. It is the same people that used to want Madden and sports games for franchise mode, but now see MUT as more fun way to play with their favorite players.

But you know, I'm sure if CFM players continue posting condescendingly about MUT players being little kids that EA will step right up and cater next year's game to full on sim franchise play.

Like I said......todays 20 somethings and 30 somethings.....are not like we were in the heyday of Franchise mode.

Exactly my point.
NBA 2K22

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 09-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #130
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
Exactly, you can have perfect gameplay but if the only mode I care about isn't a vast improvement on the stale repetition of what it was last year and before, then I'm left playing PlayNow games for 12 months.
So your telling me CFM is completely unplayable?

We will agree to disagree. It’s not great....but it is far from bad. And personally gameplay AI is horrid compared to the state of franchise mode on Madden.
NBA 2K22

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #131
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I agree to a certain extent but I think it's more of the casual vs. hardcore than anything. A lot of the stuff that affects solo users is also stuff that will annoy leagues. I'm sure many leagues don't like the fact that you can sign franchise QB's for so much less than market value especially so with the amount of additional cap space most teams are provided with. I'm sure a lot of leagues would appreciate authentic practice squad rules and other things along those lines. I know online leagues have to hate the fact that anybody can just snipe FA's at the last second because of how that system works.

But the thing that holds all of that back is EA's complete reluctance to add that kind of stuff out of fear of scaring away the casual user. On top of that most casual users don't know or care about those kind of things. They don't know Matt Stafford got $50 million for writing his name on a piece of paper or that Kirk Cousins is making $24 million this year so when they both consistently take 4-year deals for around $65 million, they don't care. They like the fact you can trade for or sign whoever you want. CFM is, and likely will continue to be, built around the most extreme casual type of user. It's the path they've been on for the last several years and I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

The first question that is going to be asked with regard to any feature being implemented into CFM is going to be "can a 12-year old comprehend and understand this?" and if the answer is no then that feature is either going to be completely dumbed down to the point where they can or it's not going to be included or even considered at all.

Of course, they are aiming for the middle of the bell curve. The easy stuff. When no other competitor is allowed to pick around your edges you don't have to cater to the niche.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #132
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

We will agree to disagree. It’s not great....but it is far from bad. And personally gameplay AI is horrid compared to the state of franchise mode on Madden.
When you say 'gameplay AI is horrid', are you referring to 'play now gameplay'? Just curious.

And I generally agree with you. CFM not at all unplayable. I think the boiling point for some is the general lack of noticeable progress in removing tired CFM features and replacing them with streamlined, more efficient and realistic features. But I think some people, including me, are a little to anxious when it comes to the game overall. I'd rather just enjoy it than complain.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #133
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:

I would agree with this, the mode is not great and needs a lot of improvement but if you have some creativity or play with a couple friends, it can still be enjoyable.

Me and a couple friends just finished a season where a rookie qb for the chargers went nuts and won mvp, offensive player of the year, rookie of the year, best qb and led the league in qb rating. Safe to say he went to the pro bowl as well. His season just made us laugh not because of how improbable this is but because it made it fun. Plus when I played him he destroyed me for 434 yards and 4 touchdowns. Stuff like this can help make an overall bland mode a lot more fun.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #134
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
When you say 'gameplay AI is horrid', are you referring to 'play now gameplay'? Just curious.

And I generally agree with you. CFM not at all unplayable. I think the boiling point for some is the general lack of noticeable progress in removing tired CFM features and replacing them with streamlined, more efficient and realistic features. But I think some people, including me, are a little to anxious when it comes to the game overall. I'd rather just enjoy it than complain.
AI in CFM and off the field. It needs an overhaul.

The CPU QB play, the CPU play calling and strategic football or let me say”lack” of. It’s just not up to par with other sports games. Not close actually.

And I agree.....I rather enjoy it.

I felt the progress of the game was taking a nice track from M25-M16 then last season although we got some more features in CFM....the AI went backwards and this season....more so.

It's crazy. But it is true. I have played dozens of games now inside CFM (offline) and the AI can be absolutely brutally bad. Laughable at times.

So if they launch Madden 19 with all the bells and whistles of a “MyLeague” type of experience but still have this piss poor CPU AI on and off the field.....who cares?

They gotta get CPU AI playing smart and realistic football first. Otherwise what is the point of playing the CPU?

I have house rules and workarounds that make the game enjoyable.....but it is a tease. We get moments of brilliance and then get the QB standing still in the pocket for 7 seconds.....then taking a sack instead of either throwing the ball away, moving out side the pocket and making a play with their feet, or even sometimes simply not throwing to a wide open safety valve and just looking down field with tunnel vision.

Mind boggling.

CPU AI is where they really need to get this game back on track for those of us who simply do not play online.

Problem is......I am losing a lot of faith that will ever happen based on the trajectory of the games trends and the immense popularity of MUT and online competitive gaming with Madden.

It is what it is.

But this will be my last dance if this stays the same for M19, M20 and beyond
NBA 2K22

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #135
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:

@Armor: I'm gonna use your quote as an example, but please take it as it is intended.

The poster you replied to said --not quoting 100%-- "if it's not a vast improvement over the stale mode we have now..."

And you come back with "So you're telling me the game is unplayable?"

I made this comment before in multiple threads when I see people reacting to any "CFM is not good" type of comment... The M.O. of people who enjoy CFM is to make hyperbole out of any critique of the mode so that the bar is set sooo low that it is easy to defend.

Yes, the mode is not unplayable.
Yes, the mode can be enjoyable if you put time and imagination into it.
No, THE MODE IS NOT GOOD AND MOST OF WHAT'S IN IT IS POORLY IMPLEMENTED.

All those three things can be true at the same time, and acknowledging the last one should not take away from the two first ones.

People who enjoy Madden's CFM justify their hope in the mode's future in the baby-step approach the devs take; that's fine and all, but the only way baby-steps work is if they are steps forward. All these crab-walks of implementing features that don't work and then moving on to the next flawed feature don't help at all..

*DISCLAIMER*
- Granted, there are a few people that claim the mode is unplayable, let's agree that we're focusing on people with a bit more solid/objectivies criticism of the mode.

Last edited by msdm27; 09-14-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: *Grammar correction
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 AM   #136
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Maybe what changes this the most is the level of interest simulation players gain in other text sim offerings, if any substantial ones surface. I'm patiently waiting for the team from OOTP Developments to get their v1 football sim out for testing. If EA Tiburon's directors and dev team start detecting a departure from Madden and towards a competing sim product, they may change course. Although, I'm still comfortable with whatever they choose. They're demonstrating good business acumen right now, opting for exciting and profitable modes.

But I'm with you on the 'faith' thing.

I doubt the NFL and EA will ever part ways. To some extent, if the marketplace continues to demonstrate the sway towards MUT and whatever succeeds it, the sim players will be left behind. EA can still make a great game that fantasy-driven players will want in their consoles each season. It should still be a ton of fun, it's just that good ol' contract negotiations with a star DE might not be part of the plan.

Last edited by goalieump413; 09-14-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: point clarification

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »