Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #225
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
This is simply not true at all.

In this interview last year from Rex, at the 31:30 mark, he's asked about Nano blitz recognition and the possibility of O-line play evolving to include blocking schemes, and he specifically states that when he pitches these advanced ideas, the high level execs base their resource allocation on how easily marketable the feature will be, thus directly influencing the creative direction of the game. "Why are you pitching me something that you need to fix or clean... that's not something I can go out and sell." His exact words.

Sales and marketing have everything to do w/ the creative direction of the game and the resources allocated.
Yeah, I remember that interview well...it's the one that really dashed my hopes of the game changing for the better.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #226
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
This is simply not true at all.

In this interview last year from Rex, at the 31:30 mark, he's asked about Nano blitz recognition and the possibility of O-line play evolving to include blocking schemes, and he specifically states that when he pitches these advanced ideas, the high level execs base their resource allocation on how easily marketable the feature will be, thus directly influencing the creative direction of the game. "Why are you pitching me something that you need to fix or clean... that's not something I can go out and sell." His exact words.

Sales and marketing have everything to do w/ the creative direction of the game and the resources allocated.
So, based on the interview, are high level execs sales and marketing or VP's of different departments?

Sales and Marketing in the places I've worked are lower hanging fruit vs higher level execs.

Point being, based on what Rex said, it's the higher level execs that make pitching sim ideas upstream more difficult.

Last edited by roadman; 09-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #227
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, based on the interview, are high level execs sales and marketing or VP's of different departments?

Sales and Marketing in the places I've worked are lower hanging fruit vs higher level execs.

Road,

Does it even matter? Sale and Marketing, executives.....whatever.

All that matters is the state of the game (AI) and CFM (I like it but it can be so much more compared to other successful sports games I play and enjoy a lot more).

Bottom line is.....Madden for at least me personally, has now hit a wall on this console gen. The crazy thing is the past 2 versions (17, and 18) are the best Maddens I have played on the field but they still lack strong fundamental on the field AI that other games capture far better.

And it is a shame. Because to me it obvious the power of the PS4/XB1 is not being stretched for AI and franchise on Madden.

But it is on other sports games.

Bottom line.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 09-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #228
MVP

Understand that when Rex says that in the interview the context of the situation is important. It's not that he can't fix those issue, or that the "suits" don't want him to, but the problem is that any large scale rebuild or reworking of systems requires a large allocation of development resources. When he says marketing and sales tells him they can't sell that, they are basically demanding a back of the box feature they can really push. These features tend to also be resource heavy so in a either or situation the back of the box feature will win out of a rework of a behind the scenes system that may need redone.

With all that said Rex and the team have still been able to do these things but they tend to have to do them in round about ways over time. When Rex realized they had some extra time this year he started going down the list of legacy issues and trying to knock out as many as possible. When they have "back of the box" features closely related to other issues they will use that as an excuse to get inside of a related system and try fixing other problems.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #229
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

@T4VERTS

I do think most of us understand those distinctions and that context. It's just that there comes a point when you just have to call bull regardless of the circumstances. Personally, I call bull. I think many others do as well.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 09-20-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: English language
Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #230
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
@T4VERTS

I do think most of us understand those distinctions and that context. It's just that there comes a point when you just have to call bull regardless of the circumstances. Personally, I call bull. I think many others do as well.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Bull on what? I was replying to how Marketing and Sales effect the direction of the game. Are you saying they don't or they do? Which is bull? Are you just frustrated and saying everything is bull?

I'm not trying to be condescending, I really am trying to get an idea of your view here. I have been in and out of this thread and may have missed a running dialog from you.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #231
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I wish I could remain optimistic but we have been hoping they were listening for what feels like years. I honestly don't believe EA would go "balls to the wall" even if they could, the focus has shifted and it didn't happen overnight. The writing is on the wall, EA is more concerned with grabbing the younger market and every year that market adds potential new customers as kids age so there is literally zero reason for them to devote anymore time to CFM then they absolutely have too. In the end the kids that "age in" so to speak far outweigh those of the "sim" community who don't purchase the game, throw in MUT providing an extra revenue stream and the H2H competitive crowd that does the tournaments and it's fighting an uphill battle at this point.

From a business perspective EA is smart, at our expense but smart none the less. They give out copies to the bigger youtube channels to get free marketing, those guys play MUT. EA fixes the pack odds for the bigger youtube channels that play MUT knowing they will then broadcast pack openings, people see them pulling high end cards and think its possible only to go buy a bundle and walk away with junk. It's literally all a shell game, EA markets consistently whether it be commercials, youtube channels, the game changer program etc and let the sales roll in.

I see no way EA ever puts CFM front and center. As an extention of that gameplay, at least in the way we want it, wont get the TLC that we desire. EA has a few months to prove me wrong if they can actually seperate the 3 modes and tweak sim to be what we want but I have this sinking feeling that the patches we see will address the game as a whole and not an individual mode.

In closing, lets be honest about some things. The braindead CPU QB issues have been around prior to this year. Last year they never ran at all, this year they rarely run but very rarely throw the ball away. A couple years ago there was that RT glitch where basically the RT wouldnt and couldnt block anyone, well take a peak at the stats as everytime I look my RT leads in sacks given up and LE's always seem to be at or near the top in sacks individually. As an example, my LE Solomon Thomas broke the single season sack record thanks to RT's struggling to block unlike a LT. Having said all that I am enjoying the game with certain house rules that others probably would have zero interest in utilizing, for me however its working but I really don't forsee a situation that results in me buying M19 without a major overhaul of CPU AI, playcalling and QB AI in specific.
This times ten.

Its happened to me, Im flippin' 43 years old (September 10th). I should know better shouldnt I? I already paid 60 bucks for the game.

I watch a few twitch guys, see some of my favorite streamers pulling 92 overall legends or 89 overall Odell's and Im like HOLY **** it can happen!

I pay 50 bucks for MUT points to get a 80 Overall PUNTER. Then open another pack and get a 81 overall PUNTER.

I should just know better. IF there is a next year for me, Ill probably play MUT. But will spend NO money on it at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #232
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

Not on you or your post. On the reasons EA gives for this game.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »