Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #449
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
I think, ultimately, those microtransactions will be in every game, but the game itself or the access to the game will be free, I think there's an inevitability that happens five years from now, 10 years from now...

It may well be that there will be games that survive and they are the $60 games, but I believe that the real growth is bringing billions of people into the industry and calling them gamers. Hardcore gamers won't like to hear this. They like to circle the wagons around what they believe is something they feel they have helped build--and rightly so.

-Peter Moore, 5 years ago

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi.../1100-6383445/
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #450
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden's future of CFM is alarming

All I'm going to say is this;

If franchise is doomed to be fed by the scraps that fall from the table, please, for the love of all that is good and decent in this world, just give us year-to-year saves!! Or let us share our franchises.

I don't want to create the same classic roster over and over again as each version is released!

Do the community this solid. Please!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #451
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning2Harrison
Instead of shouting at EA's deaf ears, perhaps it would be better to lobby the NFL to terminate the exclusivity deal as soon as legally possible.
The NFL cares very little how good or bad Madden is. They get their licensing cash, and as long as Madden doesn't do anything to make people look down on the NFL (suspensions, blatant late hits, concussions....) The NFL is perfectly happy as is.
The NFL didn't approach EA for the exclusive license...EA approached them several years in a row. The NFL didn't agree to the licensing deal until 2k put out NFL 2k5 at 20 dollars, which pissed EA off. The NFL also felt this hurt them because they would lose licensing revenue at 20 bucks per game. So, the **** deal was done, and WE have paid for it ever since.
As for the post above about MUT....absolutely spot on!!
Madden has morphed into something that resembles NFL football less and less every year, and the time is coming where they won't even NEED the NFL license anymore because it'll be fictional characters across the board. Of course, they'll keep the license, because God knows they don't want any competition to the garbage they're putting out today.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #452
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Quote:
I think, ultimately, those microtransactions will be in every game, but the game itself or the access to the game will be free, I think there's an inevitability that happens five years from now, 10 years from now...

It may well be that there will be games that survive and they are the $60 games, but I believe that the real growth is bringing billions of people into the industry and calling them gamers. Hardcore gamers won't like to hear this. They like to circle the wagons around what they believe is something they feel they have helped build--and rightly so.
-Peter Moore, 5 years ago

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi.../1100-6383445/
Not sure exactly what this quote is supposed to show. From reading the full context the fragment you bolded is referring to mobile gaming.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #453
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
This was the beginning of the end. I remember that presser he did and knew Madden as we knew it was going to be done franchise-wise.

Everything is moving towards online and it sucks.

Peter Moore is a 4 letter word in my book.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #454
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Not sure exactly what this quote is supposed to show. From reading the full context the fragment you bolded is referring to mobile gaming.
The features being added to Madden, Destiny, NBA 2K, Assassins Creed, Overwatch, Forza, etc., etc., are mobile features being implemented in console games to maximize profit. Presenting games as collections of mini-games with short time commitments, cool-down timers, alternative currency systems, expiring rewards, random loot drops, etc., all bolstered of course by microtransactions.

The mobile market growth has slowed, at least in the West, so for companies like EA, Take2, Ubisoft, etc., to boost profits off of their existing licenses, they're implementing features that a new generation of videogame players have already become acustomed to in the mobile space. Peter Moore was likely talking about the digital native mobile generation in that poster's quote, but what worked to monetize mobile games (and effectively killed the mobile gaming market) is now the focus of traditional console games.

Just as how there is no good innovation in mobile games anymore, at this rate, there will likely be no good innovation in console games -- especially with valuable licenses like the NFL, NBA, auto racing, and so on.

Last edited by Rebel10; 10-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #455
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
The features being added to Madden, Destiny, NBA 2K, Assassins Creed, Overwatch, Forza, etc., etc., are mobile features being implemented in console games to maximize profit. Presenting games as collections of mini-games with short time commitments, cool-down timers, alternative currency systems, expiring rewards, random loot drops, etc., all bolstered of course by microtransactions.

The mobile market growth has slowed, at least in the West, so for companies like EA, Take2, Ubisoft, etc., to boost profits off of their existing licenses, they're implementing features that a new generation of videogame players have already become acustomed to in the mobile space. Peter Moore was likely talking about the digital native mobile generation in that poster's quote, but what worked to monetize mobile games (and effectively killed the mobile gaming market) is now the focus of traditional console games.

Just as how there is no good innovation in mobile games anymore, at this rate, there will likely be no good innovation in console games -- especially with valuable licenses like the NFL, NBA, auto racing, and so on.
Excellent post. Innovation is lacking in all gaming. We have gone from game makers not being able to keep up with our imaginations due to technical advances to game makers not keeping up with our imaginations due to an unwillingness to do the hard work. Madden leads the pack in this regard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #456
MVP

OVR: 9

Aye, and I think it's not just doing the hard work, but making the financial commitment to do the hard work, over making the financial commitment to take easy profits.

Easy profits are taking advantage of naive or young gamers with loot crates, microtransactions, expiring rewards, premium DLC, unfulfilled season passes, pre-order bonuses, and everything else that the industry has fallen onto to bolster short term publisher profits. Project managers end up prioritizing these "features" ahead of making quality games, because they're prioritizing short-term revenue ahead of building a lasting, returning fan base.

Madden has a lasting, returning fan base (one of the most dedicated in the entire industry, seriously many of us have played 20+ iterations of Madden or NCAA going back 20+ years), but it's becoming less easy to profit from that fan base because we're more critical or less naive about these sorts of quick cash-in mobile features being added to games. The problem with these quick cash-ins is that they're not going to build a lasting new fan base, and just like how the mobile gaming industry is dead (with a tiny fraction of games -- like 1/1000 of 1% of mobile games -- generating sustainable profits via the game mechanics), the console game industry is going to follow because these are cheap mechanics that are more similar to gambling than they are to rewarding, lasting videogame mechanics.

Last edited by Rebel10; 10-11-2017 at 01:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »