Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #529
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Donít get me wrong, A&S. Thereís a TON of sim elements in this game, and lots of fun to be had, but in all honesty, this game is built with the casual gamer in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Agree on that 100%!!!
NBA 2K22

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #530
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
So you are saying the average casual gamer uses line adjustments, audibles, coverage audibles, hot routes, individual defensive hot routes, ID The Mike, all the different throw types etc.

I am in no way saying this game is a great simulation of NFL football. Itís not.

But I do have a lot of fun playing it, and use all the tools they have put in the game to enjoy my experience. While Madden is not where a lot of us thought it would be since the move to PS3 and now PS4.....Madden 18 is still easily the best version on the field this game has ever had.

I canít even stomach playing the nostalgic PS2 titles. Heck no. They can't even hold a candle to this version.

I think EA is really getting bashed unmercifully here.

I am in no way thrilled about the lack of franchise mode improvements and core AI.....but the game is not trash like some people pound and scream about.....oh heck no.

Highly playable for me personally. Where as on PS3.....it was bad. Really bad.
Agree with this. Playing more or less on all pro default, and if you don't understand and recognise the coverage pre snap, it's quite hard to pass the ball IMO.

It's obviously massively dumbed down from real life, but that's probably for the best as my brain can't keep up with reading the safeties and checking the blitz at the same time.

Actually my best pass this season is probably when I pressed O instead of X, and Hoyer YOLO'ed the deep pass into double coverage and Garcon came down with it. Which, if you've watched any 49ers games this season, is frighteningly realistic.

The QB AI is the biggest issue, and I think it's exacerbated by some under rating of QBs in certain areas. Don't know which areas exactly, but Alex Smith for example will scramble and throw the ball away. Kellen Moore will stand there like a dumb *** for 6+ seconds and get sacked.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #531
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Live's struggles have absolutely nothing to do with who they are focusing on. Live has struggled because they have taken years just to get the game playable.

And have on with the 2K threads if you think 2K is focusing on the sim crowd. You might be surprised. Better yet, watch the latest 2KTV within the game.

Or here:

NBA Live is cut from the same cloth that Madden is. We are witnessing what would happen to madden if it had competition.

2k is also certainly not catering to just sim. However, 2k has what sim players in Madden have been begging for. Regardless of the target audience, 2K gets results for the sim user and franchise player.

People can make all the excuses or arguments they want, but what it really comes down to is results. And for franchise, we received no results for Madden 18, which has lead a large portion of the OS community concerned for the future of CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #532
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
NBA Live is cut from the same cloth that Madden is. We are witnessing what would happen to madden if it had competition.

2k is also certainly not catering to just sim. However, 2k has what sim players in Madden have been begging for. Regardless of the target audience, 2K gets results for the sim user and franchise player.

People can make all the excuses or arguments they want, but what it really comes down to is results. And for franchise, we received no results for Madden 18, which has lead a large portion of the OS community concerned for the future of CFM.

If NBA 2K has what Madden sim players are craving, then Madden sim players are really screwed. Because the sim aspects of NBA 2K are not being well received in forums. The negativity for the game pretty much matches what you get every year from all sim gamers. It's not good enough, and it will never be good enough. They will scream, and they will tank user reviews.

The fact is, 2K is not beating Live because they have sim elements. They are beating Live because MyTeam and MyPlayer are much better than LUT and The One. That, and presentation and gameplay is still way ahead of Live.

Sports game sell better the less they cater to sim gamers. The more sim gamers are interested in a game, the more negative the social media around the game will be.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned. I'm more saying that the ship has sailed. It's not ideal, but it is reality. You see a ton of negativity around The Show, too. Head Coach flopped. Action Sim games on the PC flopped. AI for roster management among all sims is dismal.

Most sim gamers really have moved on. The other option is to adapt to what is actually being sold. If all you want is a great franchise mode, then you best option is to move on from sports games. I don't believe any companies are going to invest heavy in that area again for a long time.

At some point you have to realize that you are asking game companies to lose money so you can have the game you want. There is a word for that.

"Entitled"

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 10-18-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #533
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Agree with most of the post, but I will disagree regarding the 2k sim user during game play. All one needs to do is look at the last few pages of the impressions thread and I happen to agree with the sentiment.

Franchise, of course, 2k offers a ton more options and opportunities vs Madden and it's not even close.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #534
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
If NBA 2K has what Madden sim players are craving, then Madden sim players are really screwed. Because the sim aspects of NBA 2K are not being well received in forums. The negativity for the game pretty much matches what you get every year from all sim gamers. It's not good enough, and it will never be good enough. They will scream, and they will tank user reviews.

The fact is, 2K is not beat Live because they have sim elements. They are beating Live because MyTeam and MyPlayer are much better than LUT and The One. That, and presentation and gameplay is still way ahead of Live.

Sports game sell better the less they cater to sim gamers. The more sim gamers are interested in a game, the more negative the social media around the game will be.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned. I'm more saying that the ship has sailed. It's not ideal, but it is reality. You see a ton of negativity around The Show, too. Head Coach flopped. Action Sim games on the PC flopped. AI for roster management among all sims is dismal.

Most sim gamers really have moved on. The other option is to adapt to what is actually being sold. If all you want is a great franchise mode, then you best option is to move on from sports games. I don't believe any companies are going to invest heavy in that area again for a long time.

At some point you have to realize that you are asking game companies to lose money so you can have the game you want. There is a word for that.

"Entitled"
And who is to say that Madden would lose any money by putting effort into franchise mode?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #535
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
So you are saying the average casual gamer uses line adjustments, audibles, coverage audibles, hot routes, individual defensive hot routes, ID The Mike, all the different throw types etc.

I am in no way saying this game is a great simulation of NFL football. It’s not.

But I do have a lot of fun playing it, and use all the tools they have put in the game to enjoy my experience. While Madden is not where a lot of us thought it would be since the move to PS3 and now PS4.....Madden 18 is still easily the best version on the field this game has ever had.

I can’t even stomach playing the nostalgic PS2 titles. Heck no. They can't even hold a candle to this version.

I think EA is really getting bashed unmercifully here.

I am in no way thrilled about the lack of franchise mode improvements and core AI.....but the game is not trash like some people pound and scream about.....oh heck no.

Highly playable for me personally. Where as on PS3.....it was bad. Really bad.

Glad at least someone else is willing to say it. All I see is bashing in this forum. Turns me into a fanboy by comparison when I'd much rather be the balanced middle ground.

Madden has come such a long way since M25 in terms of 'sim' features. There are issues and criticism is fair, but come on. I've been in or run a fairly competitive (in terms of skill, not as in game mode) sim league since M15. We have plenty of guys who don't really know how to read a defense post-snap too well or use features like ID the Mike. And this group represents a mega-hardcore slice of the sim community.

So I just can't get on board with the "sim crowd has gotten nothing" chorus. Detailed zone responsibility, match coverage, ID the mike, slide coverage, DB press leverage & alignment, run blocking (yes, as far away as it still is, blocking is much better than M15), pass blocking & pocket formation (interior pass blocking still a major issue but they've made clear strides here), DB/WR interactions in general, etc... FAR from perfect, and I have some glaring criticisms of balance this Madden.

But it's come a long way. Wish the devs got at least credit for what they have done amidst all the loud cries about what they haven't.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #536
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
And who is to say that Madden would lose any money by putting effort into franchise mode?

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »