Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #593
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I will say it yet again.

We are dinosaurs guys. The 12-25 year old demographic plays the ultimate team card modes. It has totally taken over sports games and is a huge market. Just huge.

I am just happy I still have franchise modes in games these days.

The landscape of sports gaming has drastically changed since the move to the PS3 and now PS4. Itís just reality. We can pound sand all we want. But mainstream sports games are not going to be deep text simulation franchise mode games.

Never ever.

And they donít have to be. I am a huge fan of The Show and 2K18 and those franchise modes also have their share of bad AI and issues. And go into those forums and you will see the venom as well. Yet for me they function well enough for me to have fun and make ďitĒ work.

I am done thinking and day dreaming about amazing franchise modes in sports games. Just give me great AI.....I want top of the line AI in this day and age (to me with the power the consoles provide it should be better for offline solitaire gamers like us).

Features? They are far and few being added cycle to cycle. Why? Because the resources are clearly going into online/card modes. It is simply reality.

So for me coming to grips with that (and this was the year I did) has liberated me from worrying about more being added into franchise mode and my energies have gone into 32 team control, house rules, and creating a robust universe for myself at my pace (no more will I be purchasing yearly sports titles....done done done). I donít have to race and finish a season before the next version comes out anymore.

Nope. I have turned a new leaf. I am not giving them anymore money for years. I have spent thousands on sports titles since my earliest days of playing games.

Adapt or die. Simple as that. You canít fight the overwhelming momentum of this new generation of sports gamers who love card modes and donít even sniff franchise modes.

Itís BS. Kids are playing card modes. Not franchise mode. That is where most of the resources and focus goes into sports games.

Fortunately IMO 2K and The Show have competent and deep franchise modes (although go into the general forums and you will read a different tune of how they suck).

Madden just needs to make moderate improvements with CPU progression being balanced with the human player and re-wriitng CPU AI. Until that happens Madden is now dead to me moving forward. M18 is my last hurrah unless the AI is greatly re-worked. I can simply play M16-M18 for years and years.....they are all basically the same game to me (and I have loads of great classic rosters for all 3).

Adapt or die.

Pounding sand to me is futile and a waste of energy. We are not the target market at all. Come on guys.....wake up.
You're right about much of this, the world is changing. However EA still needs to know why we have stopped handing over money. They also need to remember that older gamers are the ones who have got money - we can buy games as and when we please, we're not like younger gamers who might get to pick a few games now and then as gifts, a lot of us are in the position where we can buy a new game on a whim.

Also worth remembering that while SI's Football Manager series doesn't have same level of sales as Madden its audience is increasing and they're abandoning the heaps of data format.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #594
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

Ok here is my issue..

1 Iím not the target group got that
2 why isnít the ďsim guysĒ saying to Rex on their show..before u do these ďdropsĒ..add ďsimĒ and authentic as Rex said items currently missing

Add assistant coaches
Add more in depth injury system
Add active game roster
Add more in depth Playbooks ie (stunts, correct defensive fronts, weak and strong side LBís and D ends)

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #595
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobloouk
Progression reward loop sounds terrible and not at all what I'm looking for in a game. The progression I care about is developing my franchise in a realistic manner and the reward I get is managing to win games and potentially a Super Bowl. Live content is not going to get me to play more, if anything it will encourage me to play less. "Win another superbowl, win another superbowl, win another superbowl" does lack reward - because the game doesn't provide the reward it should because it is far too easy when playing the CPU!

Just make the game work, add the features that people are asking for. Implement DeuceDouglas' plan for CFM and I'll be happy. Stop trying to make CFM like all of the other games on the market. I don't play those other games because I don't enjoy them!

Yes, i totally agree with you here.I didnt totally get it, in one point Rex said alot of people already play cfm year round, but they looking for ways to get people coming back during the year? The thing to me is , adding things that goes towards any type of xp boost, gives you more scouting info on opponent, etc allows you to build your team more because you have the free time and others may not ( speaking for online leagues only here) is nothing sort of adding something more to the game that gives an even larger unbalance than what it already does with rewards xp . Im glad Rex did bring it up, about some people have families in online leagues and he didnt want to add something to give an advantage over others.But then they went on talking about giving you clips on opponents and giving you more in depth look at opponents tendencies. That is something that should already be in the game( or a full feature added) , not something only those with the extra time get. Which in itself, is creating an imbalance.

Really the only thing they can add ,that wont do that in online leagues , is uniforms.Outside of that there really isnt much i can think of that will not in some way, give some an advantage over others in this realm of what they are looking at. In an offline CFM, its fine, if its an option. Then you dont have to , but you have option to do it to boost your team. I got no problem with that. Except this 1 thing. CFM already has a long laundry list of features people have been asking for for a long , long time. They already took away resources from a mode that clearly already needs more resources not less, this year. I do not want them even skimming any resources from CFM in building of features in order to support this " live content" stuff. By doing so, its only going to further infuriate an already pissed off community.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #596
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Don’t know if this violates TOS here by linking (I apologize if so), but definitely goes to the heart of the OP and gives a glimps at the mindset of Rex as it pertains to CFM going forward.

He starts at the 39:00 mark and what’s relevant to the OP topic stops at 1:04:20 (the rest is not worth your time listening to as Rex is no longer on and the discussion isn’t about CFM anymore)
https://youtu.be/absz0ljwnro
I couldn't stomach listening to the Rex's entire interview.

They destroyed franchise mode.

I hope they don't have the nerve to say sim and madden together.

Last edited by bucky60; 10-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #597
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I couldn't stomach listening to the Rex's entire interview.

They destroyed franchise mode.

I hope they don't have the nerve to say sim and madden together.
In fairness toward the end Rex did say that priority would be given to features first, but how much stock can we put in that when he spent most of the time talking about live content? It's not even like Rex was on mainstream media and had to stick to marketing's talking points
Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #598
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I hope that all OS CFM heads watch this to see the clear picture of what Madden is for good and bad. Although it won't stop some people from still asking for these things, Rex made it clear that CFM live content updates is a totally separate beast from feature/gameplay implementation. He'll probably have to say it 1000 times during the next couple of years.

Also with H2H League balance being a detriment to various team building rewards, many things that I might suggest for the content update is out. Unless somehow certain things can be used for solo CFMs only. Not knowing specifically what can and can not be added through these live content updates makes it harder of course to brainstorm as well.

So people more creative on this front than I am will have to come up with stuff that may be appealing to all of us CFM heads. Referencing something that was said by Rex, I am that, "try to win the Superbowl over and over" player, and as was mentioned earlier in thread, that will be enough for the majority of CFM heads if the gameplay A.I. and the CPU team building A.I./playcalling provides a strong enough challenge.

So as far as the feature front goes, OS is the home of the hardcore CFM heads, and so while most here might disagree, I think that majesty95 is right in his analysis that the majority of the people who play CFM will be satisfied with 3 or so solid new additions to CFM a year in terms of features. Even looking long term probably only 3 or 4 dishes of the Deuce Douglas 12 course CFM meal will probably get in, so we should decide which are the most essential parts to lobby for.

My outlook on what Madden is very similar to Armor's, with some exceptions. I agree with his take on the reality of who the target market is, and how the resource will most likely be distributed going forward, but incremental improvements in A.I. and CFM every year, is enough for me to buy the game every year and get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out it. I understand that that doesn't work for everyone. Personally I could never go back and play Maddens without off-ball injuries, coaching adjustments, and I.D. the Mike, or other little gameplay and A.I. improvements. I know that 19 will have a several things that make 18 unplayable for me as well. For a lot of people this incremental improvement is a travesty and a rip off, but that's not how I see it, I get my money's worth every year.

The Show and NBA 2K obviously have more depth in their Franchise modes than Madden does, but I'm not actually convinced that those games have more people or a larger percentage of their customer base playing those modes, than people who play CFM. It helps the "Madden CFM sucks" narrative to think so, but my gut tells me that it isn't necessarily true.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #599
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Donít know if this violates TOS here by linking (I apologize if so), but definitely goes to the heart of the OP and gives a glimps at the mindset of Rex as it pertains to CFM going forward.

He starts at the 39:00 mark and whatís relevant to the OP topic stops at 1:04:20 (the rest is not worth your time listening to as Rex is no longer on and the discussion isnít about CFM anymore)
https://youtu.be/absz0ljwnro
Aw **** man that part where Rex said everyone enjoys XP and choosing what gets better based on player performance makes me miserable. He said CFM needs an overhaul which is nice but if the broken progression isn't fixed then there's no point.

Give us a sim progression option and leave XP for arcade or something. I guess it is not a prevalent enough thought in the community though. Unfortunate for me. I wish the NFL and EA weren't preventing me from enjoying a different football game (I know the business reasons why please don't lecture lol).

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #600
MVP

Toupal's Arena

The idea that Madden will only add a feature if it affects online play is mind-blowing to me

Madden can easily and all of the features that we have been requesting for franchise mode and it would not affect anyone in a negative way.

So the excuses to not Implement something because you're gearing towards online play is absolutely insane.

Additionally no one on these forums has seen the actual numbers that compare the number of online players to offline players. So to just blatantly say that offline is outnumbered holds no validity.

They have the capabilities to add what we want because many of these features have already been in the game before.

So in the year 2018 why is it that we don't have easy features such as custom draft classes, assistant coaches, historical start tracking, or any of the other ignored requests?

What is the real reason why they put no effort or resources in the franchise?
Why are they not being open and clear with the community?
What is the excuse for Madden 19, 20, and so on?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »