Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #617
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

CFM should be completely scrapped, they should separate the modes again, and keep online vs offline separate, having played in APF 2k8 online league only for 5 years before server closed on PS3, really don't need much to get a lot of enjoyment out of it, good gameplay and good group of gamers with set of house rules and your set. offline franchise mode needs to immersive to the player, actual storylines affecting user, weekly prep from 2k5 was perfect for weekly activities. A big thing for me I want to see is records and historical tracking, have every record in the game and actual recognition with overlays and audio and awareness to when a player is getting close to records. Lastly, I feel sports gamers vs other gamers have different objectives in what they want from a game, Rex explaining the ranking thing sounds dumb for franchise, they had something like that in madden 09 with the rings

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #618
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I watched that video linked a page or two back, and I think there is genuine cause for concern for offline sim types.

The issue that stood out to me was Rex's focus on compulsion loops. It seemed lost on him that the compulsion to play CFM is not the ability to level up. Rather, it's the ability to enter an alternate football universe and test your GM and game-day skills.

It was telling to me that Rex spoke casually about how they want to keep you playing after you win a Super Bowl--as though it were relatively easy to do that. In Madden, it is, but not so in real life.

What if CFM began by simply making it more challenging to build a stacked roster, develop talent, stay healthy, and execute vs. complex opponents' schemes?

And what if CFM had comprehensive stat tracking and a robust narrative component that allowed you track and interact with the many story lines that drive a season or multiple seasons?

Would that not be more compelling than new uniforms or practice-based mini-games? In my mind it would, but after listening to that clip, I think this line of argument is utterly incomprehensible within EA's current development philosophy.

Lastly, what if in CFM, what you could do schematically was limited by your coaching staff and players? What if you knew the CPU, when it had a good staff, could surgically game plan to attack your weaknesses, and what if you knew the CPU could dynamically assess those during the seasons and across multiple seasons?

I'd think that would make for the most compelling franchise experience to date.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #619
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Just a question in general, but isn't Rex's dev background partly in like a COD or Metal of Honor type game where leveling up and stuff is a big part of it? I don't think it's intentional, but he seems to be biased towards competitive, online type, not as a dev necessarily but just as a gamer.

The offline sim types want a difficult challenge, building a team, scheming, building a hopeful powerhouse, not a Legend of Zelda/Final Fantasy XP power up.

I think a lot of it is the focus and background of these guys and the very limited people in their ears that have a sim background.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #620
MVP

OVR: 0

What i would love is to be abe to take over a team during the actual offseason and go though resigning, release, free agency and the draft. I would like the opportunity to start as a position coach and work my way off. I would like to be abe to start as a new coach with a limited playbook and go through the growing pains of players learning a new offense or defense. I would like to improve as a coach and introduce new concepts and have players get better at them with training. I would like to sign a big name free agent and watch him adapt to my scheme, maybe even not work out well. These things and more would introduce different career trajectories and make cfm replayable. I would love to see them update team playbooks based on what teams were actually doing as the season goes on.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #621
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Just a question in general, but isn't Rex's dev background partly in like a COD or Metal of Honor type game where leveling up and stuff is a big part of it? I don't think it's intentional, but he seems to be biased towards competitive, online type, not as a dev necessarily but just as a gamer.

The offline sim types want a difficult challenge, building a team, scheming, building a hopeful powerhouse, not a Legend of Zelda/Final Fantasy XP power up.

I think a lot of it is the focus and background of these guys and the very limited people in their ears that have a sim background.
Correct, he previously worked on COD.

I think when it comes to getting people invested into franchise they just don't get it. Franchise is unfulfilling in the long run because a) you immediately know player's outlook after drafting them, and b) it is far to easy to build a perennial SB contender.

Yes, revealing the development speed during the draft gives good bragging rights in that moment, but after that I think it takes away from the enjoyment because there is no wonder or need to hope you drafted right. Its a bit like story spoilers in that regard.

And I think everyone agrees that it is far too easy to find studs in the draft. If you need a player at any position it seems like 9 out of 10 times you will find that long term starter.

Based on all my observations, and not just limited to this forum, the sweet spot is between going 7-9 and 11-5. If you consistently fall outside that range you lose interest in franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #622
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Correct, he previously worked on COD.

I think when it comes to getting people invested into franchise they just don't get it. Franchise is unfulfilling in the long run because a) you immediately know player's outlook after drafting them, and b) it is far to easy to build a perennial SB contender.

Yes, revealing the development speed during the draft gives good bragging rights in that moment, but after that I think it takes away from the enjoyment because there is no wonder or need to hope you drafted right. Its a bit like story spoilers in that regard.

And I think everyone agrees that it is far too easy to find studs in the draft. If you need a player at any position it seems like 9 out of 10 times you will find that long term starter.

Based on all my observations, and not just limited to this forum, the sweet spot is between going 7-9 and 11-5. If you consistently fall outside that range you lose interest in franchise
Exactly, there is no challenge to building and managing a team, which is what franchise mode in general and especially football is all about.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 10-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #623
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

That's one of the big problems with CFM, there is zero chance of there ever being a Wes Welker type scenario where a guy bounces around between a few teams before anyone taps in to his potential. You know immediately who your superstars and quick developers are and you can sink all of your training resources in to those guys and never waste any time developing a bust
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #624
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Exactly, there is no challenge to building and managing a team, which is what franchise mode in general and especially football is all about.
This is an area where The Show gets it, I think.

When I take a bad team over in The Show, it's several years before I'm able to make the playoffs. I did a Braves franchise this past year, and it took me 7 seasons, I think, to make the WS. The first 5 seasons were abysmal.

I would love it, personally, if it were possible to have a decade-long playoff drought in Madden, and if it were possible to play 20 seasons and not win a SB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »