Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 AM   #625
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
This is an area where The Show gets it, I think.

When I take a bad team over in The Show, it's several years before I'm able to make the playoffs. I did a Braves franchise this past year, and it took me 7 seasons, I think, to make the WS. The first 5 seasons were abysmal.

I would love it, personally, if it were possible to have a decade-long playoff drought in Madden, and if it were possible to play 20 seasons and not win a SB.
And along the same lines, I'd love it if winning the SB one year did not mean you already know you have a dynasty.

Currently once I win the SB I know that the game is about to get a lot less enjoyable.

Now of course franchise needs other features, but if these two areas aren't addressed than the mode will still be unfulfilling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #626
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
And along the same lines, I'd love it if winning the SB one year did not mean you already know you have a dynasty.

Currently once I win the SB I know that the game is about to get a lot less enjoyable.

Now of course franchise needs other features, but if these two areas aren't addressed than the mode will still be unfulfilling
I would like to see separate xp sliders for human and cpu. This wouod allow us to up the competition.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #627
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
That's one of the big problems with CFM, there is zero chance of there ever being a Wes Welker type scenario where a guy bounces around between a few teams before anyone taps in to his potential. You know immediately who your superstars and quick developers are and you can sink all of your training resources in to those guys and never waste any time developing a bust
This forum would absolutely meltdown if the game handled ratings realistically. No one would accept it because they want to buy into the fantasy that their superior GM and head coach abilities would prevent down years.

Can you imagine if your starting HB went down, and then the rookie back-up was suddenly rated as the best HB win the league? Kareem Hunt says hi!

The problem is that the eye test just doesn't work in a video game. You can't hide the ratings and try to organically set a depth chart. And if you can view the ratings, how much credit do you think a guy gets for starting the best HB?

One option could be that you take the ratings that you see, and then each game each and every rating becomes a random number from 10 below to 10 higher than the the rating you see. Maybe that ratings reset every three games? So a slump can happen, and then maybe even get extended. Or maybe he recovers and plays over his head for a few games.

And I've always thought career trends should match real life models. A player might have a late bloomer model, or a breakout rookie that never plays well again. Or a career guy that goes up and down.

How would you feel if the ratings of each player on the field were hidden and changed from game to game, or every three or four games? What if players got worse for three seasons, and then suddenly had last hurrah? What if your rookie of the year never plays well enough to start again?

It's all real. And it would result in the masses flipping their lids.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #628
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
This forum would absolutely meltdown if the game handled ratings realistically. No one would accept it because they want to buy into the fantasy that their superior GM and head coach abilities would prevent down years.

Can you imagine if your starting HB went down, and then the rookie back-up was suddenly rated as the best HB win the league? Kareem Hunt says hi!

The problem is that the eye test just doesn't work in a video game. You can't hide the ratings and try to organically set a depth chart. And if you can view the ratings, how much credit do you think a guy gets for starting the best HB?

One option could be that you take the ratings that you see, and then each game each and every rating becomes a random number from 10 below to 10 higher than the the rating you see. Maybe that ratings reset every three games? So a slump can happen, and then maybe even get extended. Or maybe he recovers and plays over his head for a few games.

And I've always thought career trends should match real life models. A player might have a late bloomer model, or a breakout rookie that never plays well again. Or a career guy that goes up and down.

How would you feel if the ratings of each player on the field were hidden and changed from game to game, or every three or four games? What if players got worse for three seasons, and then suddenly had last hurrah? What if your rookie of the year never plays well enough to start again?

That all sounds good to me.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #629
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL

I'd be happy if they'd hide potential and slowly unveil ratings over the course of a player's rookie season. Start out showing just measurables and the ratings you scouted and reveal more as more snaps/games are played. Then give the option to turn this feature on or off so that everyone is happy. They need to move more towards customization instead of a one size fits all franchise mode

Last edited by reyes the roof; 10-31-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #630
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I'd be happy if they'd hide potential and slowly unveil ratings over the course of a player's rookie season. Start out showing just measurables and the ratings you scouted and reveal more as more snaps/games are played. Then give the option to turn this feature on or off so that everyone is happy. They need to move more towards customization instead of a one size fits all franchise mode
Even better to me would be to get the players measurables every preseason and have to rely on position coaches for the rest.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #631
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

The problem with madden ratings is there is no deciferable difference on the field. A CB with 88 man coverage plays the same as a cb with 85 man coverage and they plays the same as a cb with 83 man coverage.

The numerical rating system is just to give users a way to say this guy is better. What they need to do is tie all animations directly to ratings, I thought this where they were going with the new ball carrier moves but they kinda just half arsed it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #632
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

That ratings really need to matter (duh, but apparently not duh enough), both on the field and in simulations within franchise. The ratings should also be weighted appropriately for positions with franchise/CFM.

There is a guy on youtube who IIRC created a simulation engine within a text game, and he started off with a star QB and RB, and the team went 14-2. He replaced them with an average QB and RB and the team went 6-10, and replaced them with a bad QB and RB and the team went 2-14. Now, I know Madden's system is more complex, but I know for a fact it wouldnt be hard at all to make the simulation engine better when it comes to determining who wins and loses. I know there are some surprises every year, but its usually not a completely talented devoid team that doesnt have a good QB making the playoffs. Look at the Browns and 49ers....everyone knew they would both be bottom 5 teams, and that they are. Then there is a team like the Jets, who lack talent but have great coaching....unfortunately the importance and impact of great coaching isnt at all reflected in Madden....as I said before, hiring coaches and scouts in Madden is just window dressing to make it seem deep when its not. It impacts nothing, and as anyone knows, a great coach can get the most out of talent, even inferior talents, while bad coaches can keep talented teams in the mud.

There is just way too much that Madden lacks that it really has no business lacking at this point. There is no reason franchise mode should be in the shape that its in. Can anyone seriously say that franchise mode has gotten NOTABLY better since Madden 05? Hell, I think there is a better argument that it has actually REGRESSED. The CPU and sim engine was pretty rough on 2005 as well, at it was still early in franchise modes development. Now, 13 years later, where are we?

-Sim engine almost as bad as it used to be.
-CPU team trade/FA/draft logic only slightly better, and in some cases, worse.
-Coaches actually matter less than they did 13 years ago. Back then there were OCs and DCs in the game, and while coaches didnt feel hugely impactful then either, it was at least on the right track.
-Ratings still dont matter much outside of a few. Seriously, when you draft a superstar, do you feel like you actually have a special player?
-Player roles were removed. Some may not care, but they could be invaluable if implemented correctly in terms of helping make franchise mode run better and bring more immersion to the experience.
-Less customization
-Less immersion. Tony Bruno got redundant, but it was at least something. Newspapers with pictures and headlines were more immersive than Twitter feed stuff.

I mean, I could go on for about 20 other smaller ones (although still nice features), but whats the point? You guys get what Im saying.

I love videogame football and franchise mode, and thats primarily why I havent purchased Madden NEW since Madden 12. Ive purchased it used twice since then. I regret spending even $9 on Madden 25, and Madden 17 is decent, but still infuriating with alot of the CPU AI garbage.

Im tired of rehashing the same points every single year, but until EA stops rehashing the same mistakes and the same tired franchise mode, I dont have a choice.

And Im tired of the "short development cycle"excuse as well. Seriously? How can people accept that as a legit excuse when they are charging the full $60 EVERY SINGLE YEAR? The same price you would pay for Rockstar and Naughty Dog games that have been in development for 4-5+ years. Yet, for $60 with Madden every year, you can count on a roster update, a few new pieces of equipment, new MUT features, and a few shallow changes to franchise mode.

Its exhausting, and Im both devastated and furious that we have to have this conversation every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »