Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #633
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
This forum would absolutely meltdown if the game handled ratings realistically. No one would accept it because they want to buy into the fantasy that their superior GM and head coach abilities would prevent down years.

Can you imagine if your starting HB went down, and then the rookie back-up was suddenly rated as the best HB win the league? Kareem Hunt says hi!

The problem is that the eye test just doesn't work in a video game. You can't hide the ratings and try to organically set a depth chart. And if you can view the ratings, how much credit do you think a guy gets for starting the best HB?

One option could be that you take the ratings that you see, and then each game each and every rating becomes a random number from 10 below to 10 higher than the the rating you see. Maybe that ratings reset every three games? So a slump can happen, and then maybe even get extended. Or maybe he recovers and plays over his head for a few games.

And I've always thought career trends should match real life models. A player might have a late bloomer model, or a breakout rookie that never plays well again. Or a career guy that goes up and down.

How would you feel if the ratings of each player on the field were hidden and changed from game to game, or every three or four games? What if players got worse for three seasons, and then suddenly had last hurrah? What if your rookie of the year never plays well enough to start again?

It's all real. And it would result in the masses flipping their lids.
I really don't think it is as drastic as 10 OVR points, players can still play well but not have the line block, or D schemes for them, etc. But regardless, that is what confidence/morale is supposed to be for, make the OVR week to week a little dynamic. If done correctly, don't think anyone here would mind.

I think most people have wanted some way to hide ratings also.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #634
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
The problem with madden ratings is there is no deciferable difference on the field. A CB with 88 man coverage plays the same as a cb with 85 man coverage and they plays the same as a cb with 83 man coverage.

The numerical rating system is just to give users a way to say this guy is better. What they need to do is tie all animations directly to ratings, I thought this where they were going with the new ball carrier moves but they kinda just half arsed it
Player ratings absolutely matter, and they are already tied to animations.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #635
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Player ratings absolutely matter, and they are already tied to animations.
Show some proof of this...not just a dev saying it...some video.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #636
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelmosinee
Show some proof of this...not just a dev saying it...some video.
I will never knock the sentiment of someone asking for evidence to back up statements. That said, this is sort of thing is very difficult to show in a video. You have to control for all of the variables, including the various "dice rolls" in the gameplay engine (which, we cannot see). So, if a player gets beat on one play, is it because ratings aren't playing out or because he "failed" his "dice roll"? How would we know that a player had an 87 rating versus an 83 rating, that the outcome would have been different for that one play?

A meaningful video of this sort would need to be dozens (if not hundreds) of hours long, spanning multiple games, multiple matchups and showing a detailed player-by-player breakdown of each play (showing player ratings and assessing how each rating played-out for each interaction). Because of all the underpinning currents in the game, (fatigue, player confidence, type of game, etc), you would have to gather an enormous sample size to show statistically significant data trends.

I'm not saying that this is impossible, just saying that this isn't some five second clip that someone can throw on Youtube.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #637
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I will never knock the sentiment of someone asking for evidence to back up statements. That said, this is sort of thing is very difficult to show in a video. You have to control for all of the variables, including the various "dice rolls" in the gameplay engine (which, we cannot see). So, if a player gets beat on one play, is it because ratings aren't playing out or because he "failed" his "dice roll"? How would we know that a player had an 87 rating versus an 83 rating, that the outcome would have been different for that one play?

A meaningful video of this sort would need to be dozens (if not hundreds) of hours long, spanning multiple games, multiple matchups and showing a detailed player-by-player breakdown of each play (showing player ratings and assessing how each rating played-out for each interaction). Because of all the underpinning currents in the game, (fatigue, player confidence, type of game, etc), you would have to gather an enormous sample size to show statistically significant data trends.

I'm not saying that this is impossible, just saying that this isn't some five second clip that someone can throw on Youtube.
Statistical anomalies create a perception problem for EA. People tend to not realize that these anomalies can occur without something being "broke" while also failing to understand their occurrences are not even a blip of the total sample pool.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #638
MVP

Toupal's Arena

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/31/...crate-changes/

I hope EA gets this generous with Madden 19...
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #639
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
The problem with madden ratings is there is no deciferable difference on the field. A CB with 88 man coverage plays the same as a cb with 85 man coverage and they plays the same as a cb with 83 man coverage.

The numerical rating system is just to give users a way to say this guy is better. What they need to do is tie all animations directly to ratings, I thought this where they were going with the new ball carrier moves but they kinda just half arsed it
I noted this back dealing with NCAA, that EA’s ratings system is Tiered, and that there is no difference with the “in between” numbers with those ratings that function in “animation” triggering (ratings used in win/loss formulas are different).

Just recently (highlighting/separating the Elite player from the crowd) the threshold windows have been changed from times past where they mostly based on 10+pt thresholds (ie 70-80-90 etc...)

MCV is the “proximity” Rating with some of the win/loss formula vs RTE mingled within.

I gave TrojanMan some info pertaining to this rating and others that would significantly clean up some things in CFM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98F0590A-8C30-49DD-A1D5-27AB94FE4771.jpg (100.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #640
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Posted by 4Verts on Twitter:

From EA earnings report

More than 50% of Madden NFL 18 players engaged in the "Longshot" story mode through Q2.
3:16 PM - 1 Nov 2017

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »