Is hoarding draft picks cheating? - Page 2 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Is hoarding draft picks cheating?

This is a discussion on Is hoarding draft picks cheating? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is hoarding draft picks cheating?

I play exclusively offline or in my own online league. I guess my follow-up question would be when you guys play by yourselves, what "rules" do you make to make things more realistic and challenging?

I feel like hoarding picks should be one - i.e. you're only allowed 3 draft pick trades a year.

Also, no clearing cap penalties - though I always end up cheating on that.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Rookie

rplatypus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89
I play exclusively offline or in my own online league. I guess my follow-up question would be when you guys play by yourselves, what "rules" do you make to make things more realistic and challenging?

I feel like hoarding picks should be one - i.e. you're only allowed 3 draft pick trades a year.

Also, no clearing cap penalties - though I always end up cheating on that.
I use the NFL trade value chart. If you have a top 3 overall pick, only trade it to the CPU if they are targeting a stud QB. If you trade a late 1st for a future 1st, don't trade to a team that is likely to be awful the following year. No more than 3 instant starters per year. No more than 2 if you are a playoff team. Basically instant starters are equal to the number of top 75 picks you have. Trade off anyone else for another teams bust. Only select a projected starting Qb in round one.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

It's definitely cheating. Cheating is also definitely OK in a single player game.

I was able to sign the top 3 FA WRs after the draft (so AFTER every team has had a chance to sign all these guys) and trade them for a top 5 projected 1st round pick and a 2nd. I also signed a FA CB that I traded for a first, and a RT that I traded along with a 4th for a 1st. It's crazy cheating. The AI is completely brain dead when it comes to trading. But it's also fun to do in single player.

It does mess up your free agency money though. I had 5 1sts last year and completely intended on trading a couple away for future picks but I had to reserve the money so I had nothing to get FAs with.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

If you're playing solo, have it your way. Some guys really get into the solo CFM and have tons of self restraint rules. Others exploit everything. I think it just depends on what you enjoy on the field. Personally, I value generated players way more than real life players so I prefer the picks.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
Pro

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

I dont think its cheating, as long as each trade to acquire said picks is a fair one. For example, if you play a 32 team online league and acquire enough picks to have 13 in one draft, i dont think its cheating because 1) you did it by trading with other humans and not by exploiting a computer that obviously does not have the same power. and 2) every other person in the league technically has the same ability to do the same thing.

Now if its an online league, its not cheating if each trade is fair, but to an extent because the CPU does not have the same capability.

http://i.imgur.com/VCklOeM.png
Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 PM   #14
Rookie

The game isnt realistic anyways. No team would trade top draft picks for scrub veterans. It can be as realistic as you want it to be.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #15
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

No, I don't think it's cheating to accumulate picks through a system that's part of the game.

I understand that this accumulation of picks comes at the expense of realism can be disturbing to some game players, but there's also a dark side to stockpiling first rounders. As others have mentioned, your cap space will close up on you if you choose to accumulate these picks and then actually make the picks. Instead, I've adopted a pseudo-system that helps avoid this costly mistake.

If I start an offline CFM and go for the first overall pick (doing the trade down routine...) I usually never pick anyone in the first round. I always trade down, accumulating 2nd thru 4th round selections from the CPU teams. This way, the cost of drafting players doesn't mess things up. Also, if you think about it, the initial cap cost isn't the real trouble. The real trouble surfaces when these players sign their first, non-rookie contracts. If you make the mistake of signing 1st round studs, their salary demands in their second contract will be excessive, forcing you to make hard choices about who to release or trade.

Another aspect of draft pick hoarding is that there's no good reason to do it unless you plan on actually making the picks. Sounds foolishly obvious, but consider that drafting a player typically means that he'll make the team. Too many picks per draft and you're running out of available rookie roster space, forcing some of your veteran players to either be cut or traded away.

If you trade veterans on your current roster away to make roster space for the incoming wave of rookies, some of those vets have bonuses remaining that you'll be eating, leaving you with dead money against next year's cap. This doubles the problem, since you may need that money for future contract negotiations with your new batch of rookies.

So here's what I've done before... Yeah I may go after all those draft picks for the fun and excitement, but ultimately, I'm going to use those picks to increase the odds that the top scouted talent on my board goes to me. In other words, I'm buying more of the overall chance to draft and sign the incoming rookie that I really want. In my opinion, that improvement on the chance is the biggest single benefit to draft hoarding. Once I draft the player I really want, those other peripheral picks become pointless. I could trade down again, or just fail to draft someone. Either way.

Again, I wouldn't worry about any sort of cheating, since this is your private, single person league. Just be aware that there are some, not-so-obvious consequences down the road for taking this approach. It's fun, but the delayed reality check can be harsh.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #16
Rookie

GrayDawg's Arena

Its definitely cheap and since the a.i. is very limited anyway you have to set up house rules to make it difficult. In the end its just not worth doing. Here's hoping EA can figure out how to make scouting and drafting difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »