Is hoarding draft picks cheating? - Page 3 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Is hoarding draft picks cheating?

This is a discussion on Is hoarding draft picks cheating? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is hoarding draft picks cheating?

Also, if i trade a pick during the draft outside of tbe first two rounds i take the offer from the team with the most cap space regardless if its the best offer.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukoustics
The game isnt realistic anyways. No team would trade top draft picks for scrub veterans. It can be as realistic as you want it to be.
Although the browns should.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #19
Rookie

I play an Offline Franchise, and I try to avoid doing this.

Not only do I feel cheap after it, but I want the CPU to remain as competitive as possible.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Rookie

I use a strict house rule of only moving down once, and moving up once per draft. You have to pick wisely as to when to do it. also the CPU doesn't trade during the draft so you have to keep that mind, your the only trading.. i also limit the trade block picks also. trading only once per year. it makes mine more realistic.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #21
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
While I agree with this post, at the same time if you do this don't post in franchise threads bragging about your draft picks or how well you turned around the team.
INTs, and so on.

You could almost say the same thing if someone tweaks sliders to make it easier to run, less likely to throw INTs, and so on.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #22
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89
I play exclusively offline or in my own online league. I guess my follow-up question would be when you guys play by yourselves, what "rules" do you make to make things more realistic and challenging?

I feel like hoarding picks should be one - i.e. you're only allowed 3 draft pick trades a year.

Also, no clearing cap penalties - though I always end up cheating on that.
My online league uses a trade calculator for regular trades with the cpu, for draft day we do no CPU trades allowed.

When I am playing offline I used the following house rules:

1. Only trading a top 5 pick if that team needs a LT or QB and one is available.
2. When trading, I only select from the offers available and I accept the deal from the best team at the time.
3. If I am trading for a first round pick (and not giving up my own 1st), I have to give up a top player in his prime. I define a top player for this scenario as someone who is 87 or above and under the age of 27.
4. I won't trade current draft picks (outside the 1st rounders) for 1st round picks. Example: trading a 2018 2nd rounder for a 2019 1st.

#4 is especially important to me because in CFM the 2nd round is pretty much useless, it's a waste to even scout any of them outside of the top 5. But the CPU AI values 2nd round picks in the game and will give up a ransom for them.

5. Don't accept any trades that don't seem realistic. An example in my first CFM draft I had an extra 5th round pick I didn't want to use. I looked at the trade offers and one team was offering a two 2nd's and 7th for it.

6. Limit of 10 picks a year.

Most of these aren't realistic and won't match the real NFL but given the limitations of the CPU AI they are needed to make the game competitive.

I also like to do randomly generated first round busts for both myself and the CPU. For this, I use an online random number generator and select 5 numbers from 1-32. Whichever numbers come up those players end up being busts that year and I edit their ratings accordingly. Even if they are my own players. That has been the only way I have come up with to have any chance of having busts in the game which happen all the time in the real NFL.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #23
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89
What do you think? Usually the formula for what the CPU offers you in a trade for a draft pick is 1 round up the current year plus a late round pick (sometimes.) So trading a 2018 3rd gets you at least a 2019 2nd, and maybe a 5th, 6th, or 7th in either year. Thereís some exceptions, like with first round picks, where I found you can get a 1, 2, and 3, reliably and sometimes even 2 2nd rounders. Also if you have the 1st overall pick, you can trade down twice, first to 2nd, and then to 3rd, picking up 2 1st rounders and a 2nd each time.

Following this strategy, you can have 10 or more first round picks by year 3 or year 4. Couple this with an aggressive strategy in free agency the first few years and you can reliably have as many first rounders as youíd like in subsequent years. I find I usually end up trading down anyway as the green talent becomes scarce for that round.

My question is: do you think itís cheating? Yes itís pretty cheap, but an NFL team could technically do this.
You bought the game. You play how you want to play. Simple.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
Rookie

Is it cheating? No. It just exposes a poorly designed/implemented feature within CFM. Unfortunately, bad cpu trade logic is only compounded by bad cpu draft logic, and bad cpu player/roster management.

I usually try to avoid fleecing the cpu for draft picks/players, but there are occasions where I will trade for a bunch of picks in the next years draft, and then during the next off-season I will trade those extra picks to "bad" cpu teams to help them try and rebuild quicker.

Also, when rebuilding teams, I will trade away high 1st/2nd round picks for picks later in the same draft. I then use those extra picks from the 2nd round on as a foundation for my rebuild.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »