Home

Where We Stand With Madden NFL 18 After a Few Weeks

This is a discussion on Where We Stand With Madden NFL 18 After a Few Weeks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Where We Stand With Madden NFL 18 After a Few Weeks

Kevin Scott In what is becoming more and more of an unfortunate trend for new sports...

Written By: Operation Sports

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Where We Stand With Madden NFL 18 After a Few Weeks

Article was spot on. At least for me, there's a lot of bittersweet, more so bitter than sweet. You're right: CFM, the mode I frequent the most, is bland and repetitive with no immersion. I've had to adjust Pass Blocking sliders and still give up 6 sacks a game, no matter who I play with. The AI is almost broken (especially Quarterbacks and Safeties).

The sweet part is that I got forty bucks when I traded it in yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 5

Honestly until EA tries to give a damn Madden will always suck. When 2k comes out we are talking about accesories, player likeness, and other authentic things that add to the finishing touches to make a game with great gameplay(even though they can improve) even more steller. But with madden, we cant even get the small stuff right. Gameplay has improed minimally over the past decade. We still have running backs and receivers with the same runnning animations. smh. The gear outside of the helmets is sub par. Player models need improving, cleats havent changed in years. Maddens gameplay is unrealistic to the point of laughter. Canned animations, no physics, pre scripted events all over the place.

Its not even Madden thats the issue but the developer. We see what happened to Live and how they got laughed out of the gaming basketball arena. They released such a crap product that they canceled the game. Now imagine if that was the only basketball game we had. EA wouldnt have srapped it, but took everyones money. Idc if the grass looks better, and i must say the game is prettier, but who cares. Only thing that is great about this game is the updated roster and official league/team logos. The players are the exact same, they could at least customize them a little. smh. But yea, issa problem that wont be resolved until people stop buying the game. I enjoy football and want to compete by playing madden, but its a insult to my wallet and intelligiance to spend any money on this.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Rookie

Ya totally agree.. too many legacy issues with the core gameplay for me to purchase it. If they can fix it with patches I'll pick it up on Black Friday. I find that the problem with EA today. They don't focus on making the gameplay similar to the game time realistic experience but on GTA type stories or other gimmicks. It's sad. If you want to add stuff add real attire, presentation.

Last edited by Dolphins88; 09-14-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Rookie

ginix's Arena

At least it feels like the community is reaching it's breaking point in regards to all the issues it can tolerate.

Whether that's just the OS community or if this has actually affected the player base/sales remains to be seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

Questions that I have:

What game was being played during the advertising blitz prior to the release of Madden. It seems as though the only thing EA improves on, on a yearly basis is advertising/promotions/ and hype. Kudos to that department.

Second how can older versions of Madden from the late ps2 days play better than versions on current consoles. cant they just implement those codes

In addition, how can NCAA 14 (ps3)/ NCAA11 (ps2) stand the test of time. Do developers of EA games share a knowledge base. After all, they are both EA products.

Something has always been amiss with Madden.
At this point in time I will just start believing what others have said. Madden is just a yearly money grab buy a company who has no competition.

Last edited by tril; 09-14-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcooks
Honestly until EA tries to give a damn Madden will always suck. When 2k comes out we are talking about accesories, player likeness, and other authentic things that add to the finishing touches to make a game with great gameplay(even though they can improve) even more steller.
I think saying "Madden sucks" is a bit of hyperbole but I completely agree with your comparison to 2K. 2K is not without flaws and the series might not receive major changes year to year but the development team touches on just about every aspect of the game each year. You'll rarely find a mode or feature that has gone untouched from one year to the next. That doesn't mean this always leads to improvements but you can't fault the team for not trying or caring.

I would love to see Madden work on individuality when it comes to players such as adding signature styles and animations. QBs, IRL, have unique stances and throwing motions. Some running backs and even receivers have signature running styles (running low to the ground, running up right, holding the ball differently). Receivers might have signature catching styles. OBJ seems to love one handed catches or highlght catches in general. He should be one of the only receivers in the league making ridiculous one handed grabs. As good as a receiver like Antonio Brown I don't recall him making spectacular one handed catches like Odell (I could be wrong though). It details like this that would make Madden feel and look even more authentic (though the game probably has more pressing issues when it comes to gameplay).

As for the main topic of the article I agree based on the time I've spent with the game. I was disappointed with the lack of changes I noticed once I started playing. Graphics are definitely an improvement but not as drasitc as I was expecting. Gameplay is a bit better but doesn't feel too much different from last year. To be fair I have yet to try out the new passing system which could make a difference. I only have the trial version so Im not yet willing to waste my trial time messing around and learning the new passing mechanics.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Rookie

Glad I passed this year. Doubt I'll even buy around Black Friday. I'm not spending my money on a Story Mode I didn't want and MUT, which I never play. MUT wins...i guess. Sad indeed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »