Home

The Offline CFM Conspiracy

This is a discussion on The Offline CFM Conspiracy within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Offline CFM Conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
I'm 16, probably the youngest dude on this forum, most of y'all seem to be in y'all 30s
Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app

Lol, I'm not far removed from my teenage years; my first Madden was 2001 (I was four, it was my first ever video game) I wasn't one of the only kids who actually enjoyed Franchise/Owner/Superstar mode. I had friends who absolutely loved each of them, especially on the PS2 consoles when EA actually gave a damn.

[i] alright alright allllriiiiiiiight [i]
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #18
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Offline franchise is never going to get the massive overhaul it needs. It's about as probable as Madden coming to the PC again (and possibly not mutually exclusive either by the way).

Our best bet is to move the franchise mode experience off the console entirely, and perhaps online into a web application, or even a app store like experience. Consoles play the games (or not, EA could offer a live streaming simulation service for a fee), but the franchise app is where the front office features are. Turn it into an app store experience where community devs can make apps like progression engines, trading and drafting AI packages, and sell them for small prices - EA gets a cut.

This echo system would satisfy both EA's profit margin and our desire to improve offline franchise mode, because we'd be making the improvements EA won't/can't.

They could even keep the same franchise features in the console game entirely, but the web app could replace the components you want it to. Modular addons that integrate into 'hooks' in the software that extend its capabilities is common in the web software world.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Offline franchise is never going to get the massive overhaul it needs. It's about as probable as Madden coming to the PC again (and possibly not mutually exclusive either by the way).

Our best bet is to move the franchise mode experience off the console entirely, and perhaps online into a web application, or even a app store like experience. Consoles play the games (or not, EA could offer a live streaming simulation service for a fee), but the franchise app is where the front office features are. Turn it into an app store experience where community devs can make apps like progression engines, trading and drafting AI packages, and sell them for small prices - EA gets a cut.

This echo system would satisfy both EA's profit margin and our desire to improve offline franchise mode, because we'd be making the improvements EA won't/can't.

They could even keep the same franchise features in the console game entirely, but the web app could replace the components you want it to. Modular addons that integrate into 'hooks' in the software that extend its capabilities is common in the web software world.

I'd like that, but knowing EA, they'd most likely want a bigger cut, so much so to the point where they'd eventually control the whole app. But I do agree, if CFM could get something like a Steam Workshop, that'd be legendary.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #20
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy
I'd like that, but knowing EA, they'd most likely want a bigger cut, so much so to the point where they'd eventually control the whole app. But I do agree, if CFM could get something like a Steam Workshop, that'd be legendary.

Steam Workshop is a great example.

I think EA would need to provide a complete working system so you can use the app from day 1, but the default replaceable components could be whatever they were going to ship in Madden anyway, just API driven and modularized. Then you take the API for, say, weekly progression, run your own code, and return whatever values Madden expects, and then you have your own weekly progression engine. EA just needs to define the APIs, allow you to override what code is loaded for it, and away you go. They'd also need to provide the official "app store" and the workflow that reads and writes the save game files.

The system would be limited by the APIs offered, but it's a start and a solid foundation going forward - something that can be improved upon in an Agile manner outside of Madden release dates, because it's simply about reading and writing the franchise save game files, which can live somewhat independently from Madden version, to an extent.

It's a tall order and realistically never going to happen, but it's a tried and tested way to solve problems like this.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
There's no conspiracy. What there was is a lack of resources. The resources that would have gone to CFM were used for Longshot and NBA Live. That's all.
Come on dude... Lack of resources? EA is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest gaming company on the planet. Every year its that same reasoning that's given for the shortcomings in the game.

I love Madden, but the excuses are like a bad record on constant replay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #22
Rookie

Aweb20's Arena

The largest disappointment for me is just how differently the game plays between CFM and Play Now. It's almost like they don't update the CFM gameplay and it's lagging behind the rest of the game.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aweb20
The largest disappointment for me is just how differently the game plays between CFM and Play Now. It's almost like they don't update the CFM gameplay and it's lagging behind the rest of the game.
This is definitely where I was coming from with my OP. Play Now and CFM are two different gaming experiences -- on the field. In fact, half of the issues with presentation and accessibility on-the-field in CFM is actually resolved in Play Now.

I call it a conspiracy because if you simply took the Play Now feature and dropped it into the CFM's weekly Play Game feature, you would have the same experience of Play Now in CFM. Simple. Right? Apparently not. Because CFM doesn't allow you to set up your game at all like the Play Now feature does (uniforms, playbooks, time of day, weather, etc...). What's worse, is that Play Now has better cut aways, more instances of stat overlays, less close ups of the freaking coach after every play!!! The conspiracy is that EA made a conscious decision to make sure those elements were NOT in CFM. That is where I cry foul. And to make things worse, workarounds for uniforms have already been "patched," or should I say, removed since release day. What the hell? By the end of the season, we might not even be able to play a game in CFM!
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 AM   #24
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
Really..? And where will the resources go next year, What excuse can you make for them in advance. If you believe that the resources will go to CFM.. I'd like to sell you some property in FLA. Every year we are told that they are going to improve CFM and every year they come up with another excuse. I predict M19 will be all about the new version of Long Shot story mode and MUT. From now on, It's going to be all about OL. It's almost like Political promises. Promise us anything we want to hear, get our vote and then do the exact opposite. Then make an excuse and say Wait till next year,. Same ole song and dance.
It's not an excuse it's a fact. They chose to allocate their limited resources to something other than CFM. How is thag even a question? The reason CFM was barely touched is because Long**** and NBA needed those resources and they chose to give them. In other words, our user experience was willingly sacrificed for something else.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 09-19-2017 at 02:49 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »