Home

Re-signing players and bonus

This is a discussion on Re-signing players and bonus within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Rookie

shmoeco's Arena

OVR: 2
Re-signing players and bonus

I am not sure if I am missing something here or not, but I have messed around with a few CFM so far and have had issues resigning players in every one.

Here is my example in my Lions franchise for Nevin Lawson:

Fair offer screen: $19.2mil/4 years with $6.64 signing bonus =$25.8m

When I go into the negotiations screen the contract offer starts at:
4 years $4.8m/1.35 signing bonus. He rejects it because the signing bonus is so low.

So if I go to increase the signing bonus up to what he wanted, 6.64 mil, the contract ballons to 4yrs/45.7m. So I get hit with the signing bonus each season?

That makes zero sense and it makes it so I have went through a full season and unable to resign any players because the bonus money makes every contract huge. Shouldn't the signing bonus only hit for the first season, or am I just totally missing something here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Re-signing players and bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoeco
I am not sure if I am missing something here or not, but I have messed around with a few CFM so far and have had issues resigning players in every one.

4 years $4.8m/1.35 signing bonus. He rejects it because the signing bonus is so low.

So if I go to increase the signing bonus up to what he wanted, 6.64 mil, the contract ballons to 4yrs/45.7m. So I get hit with the signing bonus each season?

That makes zero sense and it makes it so I have went through a full season and unable to resign any players because the bonus money makes every contract huge. Shouldn't the signing bonus only hit for the first season, or am I just totally missing something here?
The signing bonus is the money the player gets "up front" or guaranteed money. The player gets it right away, but the bonus is spread out over the length of the contract.

For instance, if a player signs a 5 year, $50 Million contract, with a $10 million signing bonus, then he gets $10 million up front. The $10 million is guaranteed. And it is spread out over the length of the deal. So, the bonus counts against the cap at $2 million each year for 5 years. If you trade, or release the player, it STILL counts against your cap for the ENTIRE 5 years.

In the case above, his cap hit would be (if the deal was even, not front loaded, or back loaded) $8 million PLUS $2 Million each year.

If you cut him or trade him, then you gain $8 million in cap space, but are still on the hook for the $2 million cap hit each year remaining on his deal.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
The signing bonus is the money the player gets "up front" or guaranteed money. The player gets it right away, but the bonus is spread out over the length of the contract.

For instance, if a player signs a 5 year, $50 Million contract, with a $10 million signing bonus, then he gets $10 million up front. The $10 million is guaranteed. And it is spread out over the length of the deal. So, the bonus counts against the cap at $2 million each year for 5 years. If you trade, or release the player, it STILL counts against your cap for the ENTIRE 5 years.

In the case above, his cap hit would be (if the deal was even, not front loaded, or back loaded) $8 million PLUS $2 Million each year.

If you cut him or trade him, then you gain $8 million in cap space, but are still on the hook for the $2 million cap hit each year remaining on his deal.
You'll actually take the cap hit all at once, so if you cut him after year one, you would take an $8 million hit the next year
Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
You'll actually take the cap hit all at once, so if you cut him after year one, you would take an $8 million hit the next year
Yeah, I realized that after I typed it out. Though it isn't always a immediate cap hit. If a player is cut before June 1, the entire remaining signing bonus becomes a cap hit in the current season. If the player is cut on or after June 1, then only the current year's signing bonus counts against the cap that season. The REST of the signing bonus counts against the NEXT season's cap.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think that's not the question of shmoeco. He asked whether the signing bonus in Madden is the total bonus for the whole length of the contract or it is a yearly bonus.
In his example it sounds like the bonus in the resigning screen is a yearly number.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackebarsch10
I think that's not the question of shmoeco. He asked whether the signing bonus in Madden is the total bonus for the whole length of the contract or it is a yearly bonus.
In his example it sounds like the bonus in the resigning screen is a yearly number.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Short answer, yes.

Here is the long answer.

On the resign screen (the one that shows ALL the players available to resign) it gives the "FAIR OFFER" It shows the TOTAL non guaranteed contract (Lets say 12.2M) over the number of years (lets say 4 years). To the right, it shows the signing bonus. (Lets say 6.64M) This is the TOTAL signing bonus. TO the right of that, it shows the TOTAL contract (18.8M)

Now, when you click on "negotiate" it seems to show different numbers. But, it really doesn't.

it shows the available funds, cap room, and the fair offer amount (18.8M/4 years) This offer contains the TOTAL contract PLUS the TOTAL signing bonus.

Below that, it has:
Years 4
Salary $3.1M
Signing Bonus $1.66M

MAKE OFFER $18.8M

The years, salary, and signing bonus can be edited. The make offer amount will change based on changes made to years, salary, and signing bonus.

The years is simply how many years the contract is.
Salary is the amount of NON GUARANTEED money PER YEAR. Mutiply this number by the numbers of years, and you will get the TOTAL amount of non guaranteed money in the contract.

The signing bonus is the amount of GUARANTEED money the player gets PER YEAR. Multiply this number by the number of years, and you get the TOTAL signing bonus (6.64M in this case)

Hope this clarifies things.

Last edited by ktd1976; 09-21-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoeco

The math here is
4.8 salary x 4yrs = 19.2M this matches the fair offer
1.35 bonus x 4yrs= 5.4m this does not match the fair offer.
Total offer = 24.6m Fair offer was 25.8

You offered less than the fair offer and it was rejected.

Players will rarely take less and sometimes want more than the fair offer.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
Rookie

shmoeco's Arena

OVR: 2

Thanks for all the feed back everyone, very helpful and I understand it all now. Where I was getting confused with numbers was I didnt think the signing bonus was spread out over all of the years of the contract. I thought it would be all upfront in the first year on the deal. I have had success resigning players now. Thanks again!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »