Home

Playcalling

This is a discussion on Playcalling within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Playcalling

What do you feel is the best way to call offensive plays? Formation, concept, play type?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Playcalling

I personally do Play Type

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7

I like to use Concept. I tend to decide on a certain type of play, and like to look exclusively at the variety of plays and formations that fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldan1991
What do you feel is the best way to call offensive plays? Formation, concept, play type?
I use them all.

Coach Suggestion if I know from experience the play I want will be there (fastest way to get to it).

If I know it's not there I'll use Formation.

If I'm not 100% sure of the formation the play is in (was that Gun Trey Flex or Gun Flex Trey?), I'll use Concept.

Finally, for some not so common plays (FB run, QB draw, etc.) and play action, I'll go to Play Type (mostly habit).

Ideally, if the playbook was pared down and I knew it as well as I should, I'd use Formation almost exclusively (and perhaps Suggestion if I knew the desired play would be there).
Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Playcalling

Because I’m not the best play caller, I’ve devised this method to make me feel like I’m calling things the way the playbook intended using concept, personnel group and formation. Let’s take a running play for example.

With the default NYJ playbook that I’m using in my NYJ CFM, the running concept with the most plays is Inside Zone. So, when I run it’ll be inside zone 9.9/10 times.

The next thing I look at is personnel grouping. Which one has the most sets in it. For NYJ, it’s 11 (1 RB, 1 TE).

After that, I look at formation group that has the most sets with the 11 personnel grouping. For NYJ it’s Gun so when I call a run play it’s going to be inside zone out of a Gun set with 1 RB and 1 TE.

I do the same thing for short, medium and long passes as well. Makes things easier for someone who tries to play coach mode but isn’t great at turning an overall game plan into called plays on game day.

From there, I follow a philosophy of try what I want on 1st down and then spend the next few plays trying to get the first down if I didn’t get it on first down.

Weird I know but it helps and works for me. Defense though...I just watch that in cpu vs cpu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by NoleFan; 09-24-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I go by formation most of the time, sometimes I'll use play type and concept if I have a particular play in mind but I'm not sure which formation it's in. I wish there was a way of filtering plays when you selected, for instance if I want to run a dagger, I wish I could choose the concept and then pick a formation so I only see dagger plays in the shotgun, or dagger plays in the singleback formations
Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Pro

Formation almost exclusively but ive thought of trying the other ways just to see how it would go.Coach mode guy here exclusively just never had stick skills plus i love strategy of coach mode espcially for football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Personnel usually, because that's how I dictate matchups.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »