Home

'17 or '18?

This is a discussion on '17 or '18? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: '17 or '18?

How bad do you want updated rosters? If the Bears didn't draft a QB in the first round last year I'd be happy sticking with 17
Old 10-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
Rookie

tubaSimulator's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
How bad do you want updated rosters? If the Bears didn't draft a QB in the first round last year I'd be happy sticking with 17
There are already 2017 rosters available for download (at least on Xbox)
Old 10-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
You can easily make the draft class into the real players and copy the ratings if you want. I wouldn't pay $60 for a player or two that would take about 5 minutes to make yourself.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
You can easily make the draft class into the real players and copy the ratings if you want. I wouldn't pay $60 for a player or two that would take about 5 minutes to make yourself.
Unfortunately I traded in my 17 before all the footage came out showing the gameplay issues so that I could get the best buy deal. Then once the footage came out I fell for the "you really need to play it before you can judge" bs.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #21
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Unfortunately I traded in my 17 before all the footage came out showing the gameplay issues so that I could get the best buy deal. Then once the footage came out I fell for the "you really need to play it before you can judge" bs.
I can certainly understand that. I typically give in on Black Friday.I would've been tempted to do the Best Buy deal but tbh I was never sure I even liked '17 more than '16 other than the player editing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #22
Rookie

mnAD28's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
Yeah, I hear ya there. I started a franchise with the Vikings in 17, and the updated roster had Bradford, etc.. but I really wanted Dalvin Cook. I ended up drafting a pretty good RB early and will just edit him to be Dalvin Cook. $20 for a new copy of '17 seems like a good bargain to see if I like it.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb61
I play coach mode and even though there's a big problem with it in 18 (have to hold down the R1 during each play), I enjoy playing 18 more than 17. Two reasons I think: 1) ratings matter more so you get better differentiation between great, good, and average players; 2) the drafts in 17 got toned way down in response to complaints by a vociferous handful of people, so 18 has better, more interesting players to build a team with.
Unless you play M17 ootb, draft classes are weak, some complain that the ootb version draft classes are too stacked, it's really not, it's just top heavy, meaning the best players in the draft are all ranked accordingly, making 1st and 2nd stacked!
I'm still having a blast w/ M17 Xbox one version. 1.01111
Haven't seen any punting issues, running is a challenge, and the variations of penalties that can be had w/ minor increases to penalty sliders.
Just turn that Int slider down 25-30 range for both user & cpu.
I have User: 33 CPU: 30.
I also lower my Qbs and the CPU QB's(short, med, Lng, Tor, and PA) ratings down -10 and you'll see a good amount of airballs and off throws, especially by Qbs 70 or less.
More organic off throws and pressure forced inaccuracy, it's AWESOME!
M17 ALL THE WAY!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 9

If you don't care about the most updated rosters, and do care about price, then Madden '17 is the best choice. M'17 can be had for nearly free from many retailers, especially used.

M'18 has no upgrades to franchise mode, it's the same mode. The 'sim' gameplay in 18 is probably worse than Madden's gameplay in 17. Graphics are improved in '18 but it's not a major step up for most people. THere is more audio in Madden '18, but if you're playing CFM mode -- like last year -- you hear the same identical recycled lines and nothing fresh which sucks (I thought they were adding those to the game this year in CFM... that's what they said, but I guess not). Sliders again have no noticeable affect.

Madden '18 is probably the second year in the series where the old game is better than the new game, even given rosters. The last time this happened was the disaster that was Madden '06 on Xbox 360, where Madden 2005 (or 2006) on Xbox/PS2 was much, much better than the '06 on 360.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »