Home

EA College Football potential going forward

This is a discussion on EA College Football potential going forward within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: EA College Football potential going forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
All i know for sure is, i'd be thrilled to hear Ncaa was coming back. Man, can you image how fantastic all the college stadiums would look with Frostbite?

I agree. The NFL is a boring brand of football, and Madden matches that in terms of fun factor. An NCAA game would be fantastic. I would love to only buy Madden every five years or so again.

...but yeah, my hopes are not high.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

OVR: 0

I remember the last one, wasnt it 2014?

Anyway, Ive never been a college fan. Maybe because I joined the Army out of High School, never got to experience the whole college thing. I was off getting shot at lol

But I remember buying that game and making a player, a RB. Three years, played all the games. Won the hiesman, was best RB in college three years running and then I was able to export that guy to madden.

Where I ended up having a HOF career. Did that with a WR, a QB and a LB.

The gameplay was fantastic from what I remember.

I still dont think though, being as I really dont care about college ball, that I think it could compete with Madden, much less 2K titles.

I picked up NBA2K18 for rent yesterday. And wow. I mean. This is whats sports gaming is outside of EA? Its. Amazing.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
Rookie

Unfortunately, EA has only themselves to blame for this. They just took it too far... #15 from Florida being a speedy, white, left handed QB. On top of that, they tried to tell you with a straight face "no... that's not Tim Tebow... it just so happens to have his attributes."
Old 09-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #20
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

In my opinion, even if they dont allow shareable rosters I think it would still do well. Some group of guys will edit the rosters as accurately as possible and make a spreadsheet with every edit and people will probably copy it to get real rosters. Or at the very worst play with all generic players, with is what dynasty mode is after 4 seasons anyways. The things they would have to get right is gameplay first and foremost, and then licensing. Another would be making dynasty mode is editable and open as possible. Plus, the editing would have to be great too, being able to fully create uniforms, teams, fields, and possibly stadium creator (this one would be pretty tough..).

Overall I think its possible though, which is why I started this thread. If 2K created a fully licensed college basketball game, and EA created a fully licensed college football game, both with completely generic rosters, I think they would sell extremely well (granted the dynasty modes were in-depth.). Personally with a game like that that could bring back imported draft classes, I think Madden/2K and college games would complement each other instead of compete against one another.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
In my opinion, even if they dont allow shareable rosters I think it would still do well. Some group of guys will edit the rosters as accurately as possible and make a spreadsheet with every edit and people will probably copy it to get real rosters. Or at the very worst play with all generic players, with is what dynasty mode is after 4 seasons anyways. The things they would have to get right is gameplay first and foremost, and then licensing. Another would be making dynasty mode is editable and open as possible. Plus, the editing would have to be great too, being able to fully create uniforms, teams, fields, and possibly stadium creator (this one would be pretty tough..).

Overall I think its possible though, which is why I started this thread. If 2K created a fully licensed college basketball game, and EA created a fully licensed college football game, both with completely generic rosters, I think they would sell extremely well (granted the dynasty modes were in-depth.). Personally with a game like that that could bring back imported draft classes, I think Madden/2K and college games would complement each other instead of compete against one another.
They would never be allowed to have a roster editor in a college game, it would have to be a locked game that allows no customization to players and names. Facilitating others in the infringement of peoples likeness makes them liable. That I think is what people are missing in this whole thing about college games. The idea of "yea just give us the tools and we will infringe on their likeness ourselves!" is a flawed one. Napster wasn't stealing anyone's music they just provided a platform to do it with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #22
Rookie

Boling4Humor's Arena

OVR: 3

In a perfect world, I wish 2k would hop on this idea to build for the future of competing with madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Respectfully disagree. The community can handle the roster part. As long as the teams are licensed (and the conference names plus some bowls) I think it would sell.

This is why it will never happen. Allowing the community to create likenesses or representations could open them up to a lawsuit for something akin to negligence. They didn't steal and use a players likeness, but they willfully allowed the opportunity. I wouldn't be a clear cut case obviously, but there is no way EA or any other major developer would subject themselves to the potential for litigation like the O'Bannon case.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #24
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

You know, I always wondered something about the decision to end this game. Hear me out...

It was ended because of a player likeness issue which was largely because EA basically created each teams real roster, with accurate numbers, and heights, and weights, and general appearances. To it was easy for say, Braylon Edwards back in the day to see that tall, African American WR, wearing jersey number 1, who just happened to be his height and weight and say hey!! That's me!!!

So why didn't EA just keep making the game, and as you said, simply include a random roster that ships with the game. Even add tech, or an option on the game menu to re-randomize the default roster. Everything because randomly generated. Height, weight, skin color, equipment, numbers. At the end of the day, if a roster sharing feature is still available and people recreate the roster of their favorite team on their own, that's not on EA.

With the ability to see, and easily prove that the roster is randomly generated, there's no more player likeness issue. If Michigan's roster ends up with a HB #23 and they actually have a REAL LIFE #23 on the roster, then it's purely a co-incidence because they'd be able to show the technology, that randomizes the entire roster, which again should avoid the likeness issue. I'd assume at this point though, they'd use randomly generated names too. Even if you have the rare occurrence of a randomly generated name, being the name of a real player, the chances of it being the right team, and right position, right height & weight, and skin color are pretty slim, but you can still defend yourself as EA by going woah! hold on here! We're not representing a likeness of that player... it's randomly generated by this function in the game right here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »