Home

Madden Draft/ Scouting Overhaul

This is a discussion on Madden Draft/ Scouting Overhaul within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden Draft/ Scouting Overhaul

The Draft
One of the most important events in the NFL is the NFL Draft. The draft is not only important for the real NFL, but extremely vital to adding longevity to a Franchise within Madden.

The NFL offseason is its’ own season. It is an opportunity for teams to solidify their rosters, and build or rebuild for their quest for a Super Bowl championship through free agency, trades, resigning, and of course….. The NFL Draft.

The NFL Draft is not only for teams to improve, but it is a continuation for many athletes’ football careers. It is the beginning of their conquest for greatness.

EA sports has come up short when it comes to presenting the storylines, scouting process, and the actual draft. Below I layout ideas for the improvement of those short-comings.

Player Card
I have Josh Rosen as the example for some of these mock-ups. I like using real players because people can relate and using real athletes adds another level of immersion to the game.

Profile Picture
One thing that Madden eventually got right, was scrapping the made-up pictures of real people for using the in-game players. Madden needs to build upon this by adding more options for players’ appearance and give us more than 100 heads to choose between

Similar to the way EA used Texas and Oregons’ uniforms, I would like to see teams jersey styles emulated in storyline photos and draft profiles.

Notes
Notes fill you on what the player has accomplished before the NFL while in college.

Stories
Stories gives you the option to select stories that a player you are scouting has been tagged in.

Stories get tied into a players ratings, attributes, injuries, or they could be just a news story. If you read a news story on an injured player, it will imply that the player may be injured during the draft. If a story describes that a player is struggling, it may indicate that they are not as great as originally scouted.

Awards
Nothing too in-depth is required here. If a player is an All-American or All-Conference, this will tell you so. If a player won the Heisman, it will be listed, and that will follow him forever. Commentary will be tied into awards that they have won. In 2022, Brandon Gaudin will mention a player you drafted as “former Heisman winner”

Statistics
This doesn’t have to be game by game, but it allows you to see what a players strengths may be through statlines. If you are scouting a running back, and you see he has 50 receptions, it gives you an idea that they are great in the passing game. If a QB has 500 rushing yards, you know they are a dual threat. Or it could mean they throw or run the ball a lot in their system.

Edit Player
Probably the most important addition is the ability to edit a player prior to the draft. The commissioner would have full control over this as far as name, build, equipment, college, and even ratings. This can be locked prior to starting a CFM in order to avoid rating manipulation.

The players’ height, weight, and age have been moved to their own box below. The addition to that box is the players’ dominant hand. Some users have preference with on using only right handed quarterbacks and left handed QBs. I used to struggling back in the day playing with Vick, because playing with a left threw me off.

Player Comparison
Another important addition to the player card is the addition of Player Comparison. It gives the user an idea of the kind of player they are drafting. This would measure up a players ratings vs other players in the NFL when they were that age. Additionally it lets you know when that player was drafted so you have an idea.

Projection

You can value a player all you want, but in all reality, you have no idea what that player is worth to other teams in the league. The Bears thought the rest of the league valued Mitch Trubisky A LOT. SO much that they traded up ONE pick to select their player. This to add that element to Madden are:

Mock Drafts

The first thing to notice is the fact that there are multiple mock drafts. Just like real Mock Drafts, there are a lot of incorrect predictions. However if you commonly see a guy like Saquon Barkley as a Top 3 pick, it gives you the idea that you need to have a Top 3 pick in order to draft Barkley.

Mock Drafts are determined by several things:
Team Needs
Players Talent
Players Potential
Teams/ GM Draft History
- Teams like the Raiders will draft speed guys

Combine/ Pro Day Results

The combine is arguably as big as some NFL games. Some players make or break their draft stock on their performance at the combine. John Ross and Chris Johnson raised their draft stock immensely just from the 40 yard dash.

Pro Days are where players make up or solidify their performances from the combine. It is important to have both scores so when we are looking to draft a player, we know they are consistent with their speed, strength and agility.
The combine and Pro Day do not need a physical representation, just a solid foundation and correlation between the results and a players attributes.

Medical

One of the most important aspects of drafting a player is their health. We have witnessed phenomenal athletes fall tremendously because of injury or health concerns. Jaylon Smith went from a top 10 pick to a second round pick because of a nasty knee injury. Or Rueben Fosters’ shoulder concern that led to him falling to the second round as well.

Something that is often requested in Wishlists is Dynamic Injuries. Essentially what this means is if a player has a certain injury, it could permanently affect a players ratings, progression, or it may be a reoccurring injury we see come back.

Hiring a proper Medical Staff and trainer would be important insuring the health of your current players, and finding injury concerns with potential free agents and of course draft prospects.

Trainers value would be weighed by two categories:
-The rating boost they give players on their attributes of toughness and injury.
-How accurate their scouting report is on detecting injuries. This would be weighed by percentage. The closer to 100%, the more accurate.

Once again, this does not need physical representation, however documenting injuries for prospects that have an actual effect on performance adds a sense of realism t the game that would separate Madden from other sports titles.

Scouting

The most important part to a successful draft is scouting. Scouting is the same for every team across the board in Madden. This leads to a problem in year 5 of your franchise when every team is almost equally matched because they all drafted studs. All scouts in Madden are the same, and it is time that we see scouts actually matter.

The three most important qualities that a scout must have are:
-Accuracy: If a scout can’t give a GM an accurate assessment on a player, they are essentially worthless. This is what separates a team from draft a Ryan Leaf or a Peyton Manning. This is measured by a percentage. Closer to 100%, the better. If a scout is at 50% accuracy, the rating of a player may be at a +/- 5 for that rating.

-Unlockable Traits: As compared to giving us three random traits to scout, every rating attribute can be scouted. However only a certain amount of that rating can be scouted. For example if you are scouting a Quarterback:

Altogether, in order to unlock 100% of a players trait, you would have to spend 5,500XP if you started at 0%.
Ratings like speed and strength would not be affected by this, because these are scores you would unlock from the combine automatically.

-Potential
Something that is critical in real-life scouting that Madden brushes off to the side is potential. Potential would be a rating that a player is expected to achieve. If a player comes into the league as a 77 overall, but has a 96 potential, he may be valued a lot more than a prospect who is an 82 overall with 89 potential.

We will never fully know a players true potential, however it is still something real NFL scouts use to measure the worth of a player when drafting him.

If we wanted to take a more incognito approach, the potential rating could be displayed as a letter grade so we cannot get their potential down to an exact science.

Potential is something can change at any time due to a number of reasons. Reasons such as:
Injury: If a player receives a serious enough injury, it may slow down or stop their progression
Poor performance: If the player is struggling, this affects their confidence as well as potential
Coaching: If a coach or system do not align with the player, the may not get the rating boost they need
Playing Time: If a player sits on the bench for too long, their wont gain the necessary experience to move up in ratings. This can go the other way if they are on a team with a solid veteran player at their position who can mentor that player.

Athletes

What do players like Terrelle Pryor, Hines Ward, Josh Cribbs, and Julian Edelman have in common? They were all quarterbacks in college who became successful receivers in the NFL.

In Madden we do not have the option of drafting players who are "athletes". In a time where we see players like Ty Montgomery playing halfback, or running backs line up as receivers, it is very common to see people fill in multiple roles. Below is an example of how drafting an athlete would work.

Athletes are much more difficult to scout because they require so much work if you want to scout them for several positions. If you were to scout Terrelle Pryor as a QB and receiver you would need to scout his throwing abilities, as well as receiving abilities.

These are just some ideas to that I think can assist Madden in adding longevity to franchise mode.
What do you think?
What can Madden do to add longevity to Franchise Mode?
What can Madden do to make scouting and the draft fun and realistic?

Last edited by Toupal; 10-05-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Update/ Additions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
F17
Rookie

Re: Madden Draft/ Scouting Overhaul

That's a great read. There's so much potential for cfm to be brilliant. With the community churning out great ideas here for free it makes no business for ea to ignore it. They find out exactly what we would love for free!
Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Pro

Exactly. If Madden did even half of this, I would be handing out my money now for it. That's awesome stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Did you have to format all of this in the OS text box and link images or is there an easier way to do it? I want to paste those docs I sent you without reformatting everything lol

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Did you have to format all of this in the OS text box and link images or is there an easier way to do it? I want to paste those docs I sent you without reformatting everything lol
I had to format this in the OS text box unfortunately and upload the photos through imgur.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

That’s all good stuff. I like it all.

I also wish we were allowed to pick a certain number of players and “work them out.” Bring them in and run a certain number of plays with them against our own team. You couldn’t see their rating while you do it, but it would let you get a “feel” for a guy in a way that’s impossible to accomplish otherwise.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the most important thing is having different scouts for each team, so that each team doesn't have the same info on every player they scout. For example, the Texans scouts obviously saw something in Deshaun Watson that other scouts didn't see
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I think the most important thing is having different scouts for each team, so that each team doesn't have the same info on every player they scout. For example, the Texans scouts obviously saw something in Deshaun Watson that other scouts didn't see
And the Bears must've looked at Trubisky more highly than the other teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »