Home

My thoughts on CFM gameplay

This is a discussion on My thoughts on CFM gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Rookie

KagedStorm's Arena

OVR: 0
My thoughts on CFM gameplay

Hi! Making my first topic here. Before we get started, I want to assure that I don't think I'm the best Madden player in the world by any means. This is the first year since 2014 where I got the most recent Madden game at or before launch so I'm getting back into the swing of things.

I went ahead and made a Chargers Fantasy Draft Franchise, and I usually focus on OLine and defensive skill players since positions like RB and WR can still be workable without superstars for the most part. One thing that irks me is that it seems like certain events are hard-coded to happen once the week has started. I played against Denver in Week 7, played it twice due to a desire to experiment. Both times my QB Cody Kessler(originally had AJ McCarron but found his ratings to be too hard to work with) was picked off 4-5 times. I usually throw a pick or two a game so I'm not frustrated that the defense punished me, but I noticed that it seems to to make QBs make horrible throws for no reason, even on passes that normally work without too much of a hassle. On the second attempt I threw a pick that was definitely on me, threw a bullet to a elongated slant route with a LB jumping the route so no biggie. On Defense, picked off Derek Carr to get the ball back in their red zone, needing a TD to get the lead (think it was 27-23). My first offensive snap after the turnover, threw to a wide open receiver but Kessler made a WILD pass and it was picked off. Yeah frustrating in any situation but ratings aside, I truly feel that the pass should have at least gotten close to the intended receiver. Kessler wasn't pressured at all and his feet were set, already making passes like that (I believe it was a slot slant) quite a few times in the game. I also noticed that the CPU seemingly has the power to block kicks and punts whenever they need to, had like 4 or 5 times where a PAT or punt was blocked by Week 5, all coming at critical moments or at least where it benefited the CPU greatly.

I'm all for a good challenge, but I think the programming is set a little biased towards the CPU getting plays they need where they otherwise would lose out pretty big. All in all I could just be a paranoid conspiracy theorist thinking EA Sports is just wanting to make CFM hard on me personally, but if anyone has anything to add whether it's confirming that my thoughts have standing or just telling me that I need to play better (I use default sliders), it's all welcome!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: My thoughts on CFM gameplay

CPU just finds a way to challenge you in some games, definitely. Some games are easy with no problems, just some games give you a huge challenge.

However, what I found out that it's still very much possible to control the cpu. A - let's say not so good player - gets nervous if the cpu leads, procudes picks and loses the game. A good player (like I see in our online league) controls the ball, doesn't give the cpu enough possessions to really hurt you and win quite easily. I'm not in the second category, but I know how I should do it - just can't execute like I want to.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagedStorm
Hi! Making my first topic here. Before we get started, I want to assure that I don't think I'm the best Madden player in the world by any means. This is the first year since 2014 where I got the most recent Madden game at or before launch so I'm getting back into the swing of things.

I went ahead and made a Chargers Fantasy Draft Franchise, and I usually focus on OLine and defensive skill players since positions like RB and WR can still be workable without superstars for the most part. One thing that irks me is that it seems like certain events are hard-coded to happen once the week has started. I played against Denver in Week 7, played it twice due to a desire to experiment. Both times my QB Cody Kessler(originally had AJ McCarron but found his ratings to be too hard to work with) was picked off 4-5 times. I usually throw a pick or two a game so I'm not frustrated that the defense punished me, but I noticed that it seems to to make QBs make horrible throws for no reason, even on passes that normally work without too much of a hassle. On the second attempt I threw a pick that was definitely on me, threw a bullet to a elongated slant route with a LB jumping the route so no biggie. On Defense, picked off Derek Carr to get the ball back in their red zone, needing a TD to get the lead (think it was 27-23). My first offensive snap after the turnover, threw to a wide open receiver but Kessler made a WILD pass and it was picked off. Yeah frustrating in any situation but ratings aside, I truly feel that the pass should have at least gotten close to the intended receiver. Kessler wasn't pressured at all and his feet were set, already making passes like that (I believe it was a slot slant) quite a few times in the game. I also noticed that the CPU seemingly has the power to block kicks and punts whenever they need to, had like 4 or 5 times where a PAT or punt was blocked by Week 5, all coming at critical moments or at least where it benefited the CPU greatly.

I'm all for a good challenge, but I think the programming is set a little biased towards the CPU getting plays they need where they otherwise would lose out pretty big. All in all I could just be a paranoid conspiracy theorist thinking EA Sports is just wanting to make CFM hard on me personally, but if anyone has anything to add whether it's confirming that my thoughts have standing or just telling me that I need to play better (I use default sliders), it's all welcome!
Are you actually upset that Kessler threw an inaccurate pass?

The guy has high 70's accuracy in most categories. He will let one sail every now and again in real life, and he should in the game too when playing on sim.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Rookie

KagedStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexInOrd

The guy has high 70's accuracy in most categories. He will let one sail every now and again in real life, and he should in the game too when playing on sim.
A bit, if I'm being honest lol. I know he throws wild ones pretty often but in this situation I thought it was too coincidental that in a near-perfect environment other than it being in the 2 minute warning (no pressure, superb OLine blocking and waiting for intended receiver to become as open as they were going to be, which was pretty open since nearest defender was a few yards behind them).

Not terribly salty though, I knew I was gonna have problems with a 74 overall QB. Just wanted to see if my thoughts had any validity and for the most part I can concede that I'm not a very good decision maker as a passer.
Houston Rockets
Arizona Coyotes
San Diego State Aztecs
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexInOrd

Exactly. I've had to adjust my play style since I play with the Bears and have decided to turn the keys over to Trubisky. The strength of my team is running the ball to control the clock and playing tough defense. I can make throws with Trubisky but his inaccuracy hurts me at times so I can't just chuck it all over the yard with him like I've done in previous years with any QB no matter their rating. With lower rated QB's you have to get used to errant throws and having to make up for their mistakes. I'm enjoying my CFM experience and personally like the change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Rookie

Madden 18 has really made passing accuracy a very important rating, just as it should be. Last year I moved CB Nick Marshall to QB and could still throw the ball around. This year, I'm making sure I have a backup QB in case my starter goes down because the drop-off in accuracy feels much more steep.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Rookie

KagedStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
Exactly. I've had to adjust my play style since I play with the Bears and have decided to turn the keys over to Trubisky. The strength of my team is running the ball to control the clock and playing tough defense. I can make throws with Trubisky but his inaccuracy hurts me at times so I can't just chuck it all over the yard with him like I've done in previous years with any QB no matter their rating. With lower rated QB's you have to get used to errant throws and having to make up for their mistakes. I'm enjoying my CFM experience and personally like the change.
That makes sense and I just realized that last year I had Dak as my QB so I guess my griping was more due to the change in what I had. In the end that is best for gameplay having the accuracy at a premium so just gotta do better and learn to lean on running the ball more than making the QB make all the plays
Houston Rockets
Arizona Coyotes
San Diego State Aztecs
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagedStorm
That makes sense and I just realized that last year I had Dak as my QB so I guess my griping was more due to the change in what I had. In the end that is best for gameplay having the accuracy at a premium so just gotta do better and learn to lean on running the ball more than making the QB make all the plays

Yep! All is not lost as you can make Kessler one of the three players you'd like to focus on in training which will help with his development. As the season progresses you will have the option to up his short, deep and intermediate passing ratings if he's playing well so keep that in mind.

As a side note I've scaled my passing play calls down quite a bit to focus on routes Trubisky does throw well and that has helped me tremendously. My completion percentage is right around 65% and I'm averaging about 180 yards per game with 7 min quarters. Not eye popping but he's improving rapidly and I'm not losing the game due to multiple turnovers and pick sixes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »