Home

Are pursuit angles broken?

This is a discussion on Are pursuit angles broken? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Are pursuit angles broken?

This year I have noticed a common theme in a lot of big runs and big plays and that is pursuit angles. This is a 2-fold issue I've noticed.

Issue number 1: defenders will make multiple cuts pursuing to a defender. Rather than making a straight line to the ball carrier they will make multiple change of directions pursuing to the ball carrier often taking them out of the play or engaging with a blocker.

Issue number 2: Defenders will run to where the ball carrier has been rather than where they are going so they often get behind the ball carrier giving the offensive player a lot of open field in front of them.

I don't remember it ever being this bad and it's an eyesore when you notice it. The user mitigates a lot of this.

Thoughts? Is this a bug or poor game design?

Sent from my LGAS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Are pursuit angles broken?

Depends on what difficulty; I play on All-Madden and have seen some janky pursuit angles. All-Pro isn't bad, and Pro is like playing with the 70s Raiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

No, you are absolutely right. Pursuit is very bad.

From what I've observed, the problem is janky movement animations. I think I'm talking about the same thing you pointed out in issue 1. Its like the change of direction cut is more pronounced and exaggerated, like they are getting juked by ghosts or something.

You are right about issue 2, after I reword it. They don't run to where he is, they do try to run where the ball carrier is going, the problem here is that:
A) They take too aggressive of an angle
B) I don't think they take ratings into consideration, e.g. this guy has 90+ speed so I need to widen my angle. Its why speed backs are still overpowered (though not as much as in the past), defenders take the same angle on every RB.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy
Depends on what difficulty; I play on All-Madden and have seen some janky pursuit angles. All-Pro isn't bad, and Pro is like playing with the 70s Raiders.

I play on all-pro and I absolutely notice it and it is bad. I don't think its a ratings issue. They'll make a bunch of tiny adjustments and they'll get way out of position or worse by the time they get to where they were going the ball carrier is long gone.

Another issue that happens is during tackles defenders not in on the play will act as if the play is over.

Last edited by oneamongthefence; 10-07-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I play on all-pro and I absolutely notice it and it is bad. I don't think its a ratings issue. They'll make a bunch of tiny adjustments and they'll get way out of position or worse by the time they get to where they were going the ball carrier is long gone.

Another issue that happens is during tackles defenders not in on the play will act as if the play is over.

Yes to the bold. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it was occasional, but seems like it happens every time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
No, you are absolutely right. Pursuit is very bad.

From what I've observed, the problem is janky movement animations. I think I'm talking about the same thing you pointed out in issue 1. Its like the change of direction cut is more pronounced and exaggerated, like they are getting juked by ghosts or something.

You are right about issue 2, after I reword it. They don't run to where he is, they do try to run where the ball carrier is going, the problem here is that:
A) They take too aggressive of an angle
B) I don't think they take ratings into consideration, e.g. this guy has 90+ speed so I need to widen my angle. Its why speed backs are still overpowered (though not as much as in the past), defenders take the same angle on every RB.
So thats why I'm always beasting with Tarik Cohen and why speed is overvalued in Madden....
Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
So thats why I'm always beasting with Tarik Cohen and why speed is overvalued in Madden....
Partially.

And this only comes from careful observations during games. I haven't tested it, nor have I seen any code.

So take what it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've also noticed the ridiculous amount of defenders being juked by QBs and TEs. S**t's ridiculous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »