Home

Running some tests on route running and coverage

This is a discussion on Running some tests on route running and coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Running some tests on route running and coverage

I did this test many years ago and after discussing it in another thread figured I do it again.

Thread from previous test: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-running.html
(note: I read the comments in that thread, damn man I was crying for adaptive AI back in 2013 )

So here is what I did on default all pro, slow speed:

Create two WRs. One is named Peter Parker, the other is named Bow-Legged Steve. On most attributes relevant to WRs they are going to be 90. Peter will have 99 route running, bow-legged Steve will have 0.

Create two CBs, Good Man and Bad Man. During the first part of the test they will both have identical attributes. Physicals at 90, MCV 85, prs 75.
Then I'm going to lower one to 0 MCV and repeat the plays.

Run them through a series of plays and see the outcomes.

So first the good. The game is a lot smoother and more realistic since the last time I ran this test. Last time CBs would stumble backwards and just do weird crap that created separation for the WR. This time everything is more realistic. The better route runner had more separation, but it wasn't because the CB was stumbling around like a drunk.

The bad? The effect of route running ranged from subtle to nonexistent.

The really bad? Press interactions are bugged. Badly.

Okay so for the following routes the RTR attribute seems to have no impact:
curls
slants
drags

The route where RTR had the most impact:
C route

For all other routes the impact was small. I was still able to complete passes to bow-legged Steve, but my windows were smaller and he typically had to hold on to the ball while getting hit.

Something surprising and distressing happened when I bumped one corner to 99 MCV and dropped the other to 0 -- not much happened actually. I didn't run as many plays with this setup because I discovered something that sidetracked me, but I was able to complete almost the entire route tree to my 0 RTR WR vs a 99 MCV corner. With that big of a discrepancy Steve should have been completely shut down, but I completed the majority of passes to him.

I don't have the full video of my tests, but I saved my roster file so if you guys want to see a particular setup let me know.

I did make one very brief video, for The Chef:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWhg7f_4_ro
This was bow-legged Steve running slant routes vs a 99 MCV corner. Sorry I didn't leave it on coach stick longer, but this is what it read:
Speed 0
Height +3
Rt Run -50
release +20
(Can anyone tell me what Tony Jefferson was doing on the first play?)

Then I made a change. I put good corner at 99 prs, and Steve to 0 rls and guess what happened? Steve had a damn field day! The CB started bugging the F out lol. He would briefly engage at the line, but then release the WR and stand still for a moment, while Steve ran free over the middle of the field.

Then I swapped WRs, so the coach stick said the release matchup was -15. Those results were mixed. Sometimes the corner played a great inside technique where he completely walled off the slant, but then other times he did the goofy **** from above.

I need to test this more, but it seems that there is a CB big win animation that is bugged. Its suppose trigger but instead of playing out the CB spazs out.

I'm going to ask Rex and Clint if practice mode alters the RTR-MCV dynamic in anyway, and ask if they noticed any bugs in press animations.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 10-09-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Running some tests on route running and coverage

This is all just par for the course.

Last year the press animation would basically let any receiver, any overall, any release just get 5 to 10 yards off the CB. No matter the ratings.

Now instead of just getting beat, they stand frozen for a second. Then give chase.

It happens in certain zones as well. Sad but true, as long as there still making MUT money, they could care less.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »