Home

Optimum settings for QB to move?

This is a discussion on Optimum settings for QB to move? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #73
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Optimum settings for QB to move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
So here's the thing:
1. QB is the hardest position to play in sports
2. Your A.I. can only be as "smart" as the humans who code it..

Programming CPU QB play must be extremely difficult to do because you have to tell the QB what he will do perfectly. THEN how do you SCALE the QB play as ratings go down?

Imagine the brain power that has to go into a simple decision such as: "A QB with 82 awareness will not see this corner route open against this cover 1 press on 2nd and 6, when a pass rusher is 2.8 yards away and the free safety is 7 yards inside of the route."

I think if you were programming robo QB it would be easier, but scaling it down due to ratings is the problem I see.. And I'm just talking awareness. And when do they tuck and run? When should they throw it away? Not easy to program....
Its actually not that hard. Especially when it comes to QBs evading the rush. Why? Because they have features/ratings/traits that SHOULD control that. The AI controlling Cam Newton should calculate:

"Rush is coming from the left side (how quickly should depend on his Awareness rating)...Cam's Sense Pressure trait is "Trigger Happy"...Cam's throw ball away trait is off....Cam is a scrambling QB = Attempt a scramble to the right."

Ive seen AI behind the scenes for a couple of sports games and the AI is constantly calculating what to do down to the second. I think thats the case for Madden too. Its just that the AI (as a whole) is too slow to identify pressure and unable to make the right decision based on the player's traits. That poor programming not because its difficult just because its poor programming.

I'm VERY pro developer. I see how hard that the devs on the game I help on work so I'm very sympathetic to how difficult it can be. My issue is Madden is EA's #1 sports game in the US. They should have more than 1 person developing the AI. If they dont, thats a poor use of resources. If they do, than I find it crazy that multiple people (and the QC team) missed the fact that QBs werent scrambling regularly and taking a ton of sacks.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #74
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Its actually not that hard. Especially when it comes to QBs evading the rush. Why? Because they have features/ratings/traits that SHOULD control that. The AI controlling Cam Newton should calculate:

"Rush is coming from the left side (how quickly should depend on his Awareness rating)...Cam's Sense Pressure trait is "Trigger Happy"...Cam's throw ball away trait is off....Cam is a scrambling QB = Attempt a scramble to the right."

Ive seen AI behind the scenes for a couple of sports games and the AI is constantly calculating what to do down to the second. I think thats the case for Madden too. Its just that the AI (as a whole) is too slow to identify pressure and unable to make the right decision based on the player's traits. That poor programming not because its difficult just because its poor programming.

I'm VERY pro developer. I see how hard that the devs on the game I help on work so I'm very sympathetic to how difficult it can be. My issue is Madden is EA's #1 sports game in the US. They should have more than 1 person developing the AI. If they dont, thats a poor use of resources. If they do, than I find it crazy that multiple people (and the QC team) missed the fact that QBs werent scrambling regularly and taking a ton of sacks.
Great post. And the QBs haven't been scrambling for a few releases now, and it's been brought to them directly each time, and the game has had it working fairly well in the not too distant past.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #75
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

I'll concede that QB scrambling shouldn't be as difficult. My post mainly dealt with awareness in general.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #76
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10

OK, the sack issue has been pretty much "fixed" for me...SO FAR.

I say fixed because I've had to band-aid together tons of different things. I fully understand the AI for QB out of the box is...broken

Editing QB traits + ratings + offensive line stamina + custom playbooks + offsides to 0 = beautiful games on All Pro.

In MY opinion.

I know it's a ridiculous amount of steps...far more than we should put up with.

BUT...

If you can get past it, the game is playing 10x better with these tweaks.

Just finished two games. Carolina (ME) vs St. Louis and New Orleans (CPU).

Sacked St. Louis 0 times and New Orleans once.

Stats were very realistic. Both QB's were around 60-65% with 1 INT. Won both games by 6 or less.

One of the BIGGEST keys was tweaking the CPU's playbooks and stripping away plays that tend to result in sacks. Not only 4 verts, curl flats, and spacing...but any plays that don't have safety valves (TE or HB routes). Also - many PA plays take way too long to develop...unfortunately it's a best of trial and error tracking them down. A lot of 4 WR and 5 WR sets are also difficult for the CPU when they don't have enough time to handle the blitz.

Again, I know it's a pain in the neck. A ton of work. Takes two controllers and that whole nine yards. BUT it's NIGHT and DAY compared to the GARBAGE play calling the CPU uses by default. In my opinion, it's very hard to have a good balanced game of sacks/pressure against the CPU against the default play calling. There are just too many predictable play calls that result in easy sacks.

So with that being said, here's what I'm currently running as my setup:

QB TRAITS:
QB STYLE: SCRAMBLING
THROW BALL AWAY: YES
SENSE PRESSURE: TRIGGER HAPPY
FORCE PASSES: BALANCED
TIGHT SPIRAL: YES

QB RATINGS:
SPEED: 80+
ACCELERATION: 80+
ELUSIVENESS: 99
BALL CARRIER VISION: 99
STAMINA: 99

OFFENSIVE LINE RATINGS:
STAMINA: 99

PENALTY SLIDERS:
OFFSIDES SLIDER: 0
FALSE START SLIDER: 40 (still testing - will probably need to be 0 too)

More testing to be done this week. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #77
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Haha... There is no way I'm doing any of those things.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #78
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10

OK...so I just lost to the Browns LOL.

Their QB is a rookie. Evan Carstens. 16-25 for 172 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

Sacked him once. (Mario Addison).

He had 85 acceleration as a rookie and 79 speed. And this made him VERY difficult to sack in combination with all of the other traits and ratings I'm using.

This game is officially fun again.

Still trying to get run blocking right...but that's an entirely other discussion.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #79
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggerCoach
OK...so I just lost to the Browns LOL.

Their QB is a rookie. Evan Carstens. 16-25 for 172 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

Sacked him once. (Mario Addison).

He had 85 acceleration as a rookie and 79 speed. And this made him VERY difficult to sack in combination with all of the other traits and ratings I'm using.

This game is officially fun again.

Still trying to get run blocking right...but that's an entirely other discussion.

I set All OL with the big mauler trait and they were run blocking like crazy. Haven't tested it a ton though. I would set all FB to blocking. They will actually block the edge way better

Playing:
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #80
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Playing on All-Madden is the only answer I've found to this issue.

It was great for a few seasons but I've gotten tired of the cheese on All-Madden, yet I can't play on All-Pro due to the terrible CPU QB play. Thus, this game has been collecting digital dust since 2K dropped.
Yea 2k will do that to you lol...and I been back on mlb the show alot lately too waiting on madden to tighten up a few things.

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »