Home

Excessive pancakes since recent patch

This is a discussion on Excessive pancakes since recent patch within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Excessive pancakes since recent patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As I understand it, the pancaking stuff is triggered by the game's "Weak Box" logic, in which the game would give a boost to the offense's run blocking effectiveness if the defense came out in a poor run defense. An extreme example of this would be a 3 TE set by the offense lined up against a Dime defense. This logic used to trigger in both User v User and User v CPU games, but was limited to just User v User games following a title update in February.

I am going to guess you are getting hit with the Weak Box penalty because Cover 2 is not a run defense in Madden. It consistently only puts seven defenders at most in the box (fewer as more DBs replace linebackers, such as in Nickel and Dime sets). You can view the run fit for your current play by pulling up Coach Cam (hold R2 / RT) and then holding Square or Circle (X / B) depending on which side you think the offense will run toward. Different coverages add more defenders to the run fit, such as Cover 3 (which adds one of the safeties to the run fit for a maximum of eight run defenders) or Cover 4 (which puts both safeties in the run fit for a maximum of nine run defenders).

If you insist on playing Cover 2, you might try the Show Blitz preplay adjustment to drop a safety into the box (Triangle / Y, then left stick left). This will put you in really bad position to defend against a vertical route on that safety's side of the field, however.
That's just so ridiculous. I'm consistently awed at how the binary nature of this game can create the worst and sometimes incredibly unrealistic outcomes.

In a MUT squad game recently, I had just hit a perfect coffin corner and placed the opposite team within their own 5 yard line with less than 8 seconds in the first half. They come out in '13' personnel. There are 8 seconds left, I am not going to risk them sending the 1 WR they have on a 9 route and outrunning our coverage, so we come out in Nickel and cushion the the coverage to negate a deep pass. If they bust a 40 yard run because my DB's are 15 yards off the ball and I've only got 4 DL's and 2 LB's, big deal; We are going to the half.

Madden logic apparently dictates such an incredible mismatch that the entire front 7 get annihilated, there are literally no gaps because the offensive line just ran through everyone. Their RB actually went untouched and finished the half with a 95+ yard TD run.

What a lazy way to 'simulate' a personnel mismatch.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #90
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
That's just so ridiculous. I'm consistently awed at how the binary nature of this game can create the worst and sometimes incredibly unrealistic outcomes.

In a MUT squad game recently, I had just hit a perfect coffin corner and placed the opposite team within their own 5 yard line with less than 8 seconds in the first half. They come out in '13' personnel. There are 8 seconds left, I am not going to risk them sending the 1 WR they have on a 9 route and outrunning our coverage, so we come out in Nickel and cushion the the coverage to negate a deep pass. If they bust a 40 yard run because my DB's are 15 yards off the ball and I've only got 4 DL's and 2 LB's, big deal; We are going to the half.

Madden logic apparently dictates such an incredible mismatch that the entire front 7 get annihilated, there are literally no gaps because the offensive line just ran through everyone. Their RB actually went untouched and finished the half with a 95+ yard TD run.

What a lazy way to 'simulate' a personnel mismatch.
Well the good news is that, now that you know how the game works, if you want to not allow a 95-yard rushing touchdown before half next time in MUT Squads - a game mode which uses the competitive game style, not simulation, so realism is secondary by definition - you know what to do: match personnel with the offense and then use an individual defensive hot route to back off only the CB matched up against a WR to protect against the deep pass.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #91
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Well the good news is that, now that you know how the game works, if you want to not allow a 95-yard rushing touchdown before half next time in MUT Squads - a game mode which uses the competitive game style, not simulation, so realism is secondary by definition - you know what to do: match personnel with the offense and then use an individual defensive hot route to back off only the CB matched up against a WR to protect against the deep pass.
Nothing you said is untrue of course, but the fact that this is the appropriate answer for such an inane gameplay mechanism, makes me hope that they can keep as many competitive style gameplay design decisions as possible from bleeding into sim style going forward. I don't want a collateral damage bug like the pancake glitch messing up sim style for months like happened this year.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Is this an insinuation the scenario is only possible under the "competitive" setting?

Legit question, I only fool around with MUT. The game doesn't understand football at a fundamental level, but the fantasy nature of their card game is enjoyable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »