Home

How many have already stopped playing m18?

This is a discussion on How many have already stopped playing m18? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #145
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: How many have already stopped playing m18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
I played during the free-trial week and could not wrap my mind around the fact that they were proud to release Madden 18 as a new game.
I mean, M18 the best playing online head-to-head game in the history of the series, especially with respect to the diversity of online head-to-head gameplay modes, diversity of core gameplay mechanics, and the high skill ceilings of those systems. It's also the most accessible Madden game ever, what with all the various helper options, Skills Trainer, and disability accommodations. Further, Frostbite made the game look significantly better and was a significant engineering achievement for the game, and the Longshot story mode was well received by critics and the fans alike.

Tiburon has plenty to be proud of, even if Franchise mode didn't take a major step forward from the perspective of the core audience.

Quote:
already dying franchise mode.
Haven't Tiburon people stated repeatedly that M18 Franchise has greater user engagement and retention year-over-year than M17, which in turn had more user engagement and retention than M16? Those two stats are measures of how many people are playing the mode, and if those are increasing it's a strong indicator of a plenty healthy mode which isn't dying whatsoever.

The gloom-and-doom scenarios which keep getting painted here simply have no basis in reality.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #146
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I mean, M18 the best playing online head-to-head game in the history of the series, especially with respect to the diversity of online head-to-head gameplay modes, diversity of core gameplay mechanics, and the high skill ceilings of those systems.
The Bold is an opinion, at best.

Another perspective could reasonably argue this opinion is unsubstantiated due to the nature of player interactions in Madden. Anyone who has spent any amount of time with this product is intimately aware with it's "scripted" nature and Dice Rolls.

We are still talking about a product that continues to struggle with accurately illustrating some of the most basic differences between different player types.

Quote:
The gloom-and-doom scenarios which keep getting painted here simply have no basis in reality.
This is probably true because the last 10 years have proven most people don't understand the business side of this equation.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #147
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
I mean, M18 the best playing online head-to-head game in the history of the series, especially with respect to the diversity of online head-to-head gameplay modes, diversity of core gameplay mechanics, and the high skill ceilings of those systems. It's also the most accessible Madden game ever, what with all the various helper options, Skills Trainer, and disability accommodations. Further, Frostbite made the game look significantly better and was a significant engineering achievement for the game, and the Longshot story mode was well received by critics and the fans alike.

Tiburon has plenty to be proud of, even if Franchise mode didn't take a major step forward from the perspective of the core audience.

Haven't Tiburon people stated repeatedly that M18 Franchise has greater user engagement and retention year-over-year than M17, which in turn had more user engagement and retention than M16? Those two stats are measures of how many people are playing the mode, and if those are increasing it's a strong indicator of a plenty healthy mode which isn't dying whatsoever.

Of course Tiburon is proud.... They took some of EA Austins assets to work on the Frostbite engine, and they were able to make good money off of a game that incorporated new lighting and gameplay.

You don't have to dig very far in these forums to find how displeasing the gameplay really is. But at the end of the day, Tiburon still got a paycheck, so all is well for them.

They can also repeatedly tell me that retention and and user engagement is greater than the year before, but what does that even mean? Are they considering offline franchises? Are more people playing online than offline? Why doesn't EA ever share the stats? Why is it the only time we hear about the stats, it is through their interpretation?

Madden will continue to keep a solid fanbase because it is the only football game in the business. They can afford to be lazy and take years off for franchise mode.

I franchise mode dying? No.
Is franchise mode growing? Absolutely not.

I would like to see what Madden's retention rate is in February. People are already bored of the game, thus 3 of the top threads in this forum are bashing on how dull franchise mode is.

This game has no replayability, and the only thing saving it right now is MUT. The purchase after the purchase of MUT cards, and playing online is the only thing saving this game. Because of that, we see all the resources get poured into those two areas.

People still love offline, single player modes, but as opposed to accepting that their offline modes are terrible, they would rather say that people are just more into online play.

They need to wake up and quit twisting these numbers that they aren't releasing to the public and realize that they have performed so poorly with franchise, that people have no other option for replayability besides MUT and online head to head....

But then again, that is exactly what they want.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #148
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
You don't have to dig very far in these forums to find how displeasing the gameplay really is.
Quote:
the top threads in this forum are bashing on how dull franchise mode is.
It's been the case for a while that this forum is no longer representative of the Madden community at-large. Madden is mostly an online competitive game now. That statement applies to both MUT and Franchise alike.

Quote:
They can also repeatedly tell me that retention and and user engagement is greater than the year before, but what does that even mean?
User engagement is typically measured in daily active users (DAU) - the total number of unique users who touch the mode in any capacity each day. If you are connected to the internet while playing Madden and you enter Franchise - cloud or offline - the game calls home to Madden's analytics platform and tells it you touched the mode, and you are a logged daily active user of that mode. Obviously if you play Madden with no internet connection, your activity isn't tracked and thus you aren't part of Tiburon's analytics.

User retention measures the number of people who have logged in at least once return to a mode within a given period of time following their previous login. Typically retention is measured in users who return within one- and seven-day intervals. This is a measure of how many people continue to play the mode over longer periods of time.

That Madden's DAU and retention metrics continue to grow indicate that more people are playing and coming back to the mode, which means their recent changes to the mode over the past several cycles have tangibly improved the mode. If the mode wasn't substantially improving, these numbers would not be growing.

Quote:
Is franchise mode dying? No.
Is franchise mode growing? Absolutely not.
Again, their numbers say otherwise. These numbers wouldn't be going up if people didn't like playing the mode; the vast majority of people don't play video games they dislike out of spite.

Quote:
People still love offline, single player modes, but as opposed to accepting that their offline modes are terrible, they would rather say that people are just more into online play.
Or the online modes are legitimately engaging in ways that video game developers can easily quantify with a variety of tools.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #149
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I am a simple man. I have enough fun with CFM as it is right now. I simply want CPU AI to be upgraded and catch up to the other two sports games I play.

Pretty simple.

Yet on M17 and M18 CPU AB AI went 5 steps backwards (now that I am playing M16 again). That is highly upsetting and mind boggling.

I enjoy Madden and applauded this team for the strides they have made in overall gameplay and presentation since M25. But the last two games really have a major wart and it can kill long term immersion. When the CPU AI can't be competent it is maddening and it is not fixable with sliders. Core CPU AI coding is heavily flawed and it is a major issue for offline franchise players.

And let’s not get into the so called tuning CFM supposedly got. I am still managing 32 teams for bone headed roster decisions and inept injury management and trades.

So again.....my mantra is fix the AI fix the AI fix the AI and a lot of the complaints would subside.

The single player experience is sub par against the CPU compared to 2K18 and The Show 17 (and probably FIFA and NHL if I would dare to say so).

And therein lies the issue. And I have said it before. Times have changed. We are dinosaurs and EA focus’s on MUT and online competitive play have put us on the back burner. Overhauling core CPU AI is not a priority.

And honestly......if the CPU QB’s played like they did on Madden 16 (fully patched version) this would be the best Madden game ever made. Make no mistake, the game is still good. It is a quality sports game. It just needs some TLC with AI.

Do that and things will be so much better for offline franchise players.

Still waiting..........
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #150
MVP

OVR: 1

im cynical about retention etc. if the number of people playing m18 daily as a percentage of the total number of installs of m18 then they can can make that claim if the percentage beats the same calc for m17. it doesnt mean a lot if the number of installs of m18 is 75% of m17. you could have so much fun claiming stuff using one stat which the other side disagree with another stat.

i havent bought m18. i dont play mut, i dont play online, have no interest in longshot over the old superstar mode and dont want to be a qb, have zero stick skills, play in coach mode and prefer defence over offence.
Obviously my views dont matter especially as im 53 and english. here is one hint for EA that they should take note of; i have no kids and therefore have more disposable income than someone who is mid 20s (hopefully )

if you (EA) dont want to satisfy my offline coach mode franchise fetish, please relinquish that part of your exclusive nfl license to someone who gives a s%^&. cos if thats what happening thats fine but i have no issue with writing to the nfl. the nfl had an expectation for madden exclusivity; i doubt at the time it had longshot and mut as a representation of the nfl
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #151
MVP

Is there some benefit in MUT such as getting free cards or whatever for logging in daily? Could this be driving stats? A lot of people are upset with the lack of improvement to franchise and ai. What really pisses me off is when tbe biggest issue in the game (qb ai) is ignored year after year. I know no game maker with competition would ignore the biggest issue over and over. They would lose most of their sales to someone who made a game where qb's made proper decisions and acted like the real life person they represent.

Last edited by timhere1970; 11-08-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: E
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #152
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Is there some benefit in MUT such as getting free cards or whatever for logging in daily? Could this be driving stats? A lot of people are upset with the lack of improvement to franchise and ai. What really pisses me off is when tbe biggest issue in the game (qb ai) is ignored year after year. I know no game maker with competition would ignore the biggest issue over and over. They would lose most of their sales to someone who made a game where qb's made proper decisions and acted like the real life person they represent.
Yes, there are rewards for logging in daily...which make the numbers invalid. Also, those numbers never talk about how LONG people are playing...only that they're logging in.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »