Home

Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

This is a discussion on Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #209
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Here is a video by SimFBallCritic where he interviews Rex on the futur of CFM. Fast forward to oughly the 38 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=absz...ature=youtu.be

The Highlights

He discusses the fear single players have of other games following the Destiny model (which MUT uses). MUT is already a live service pushing out updates and features all season. The idea is you get re-engaged to play.

Franchise is a closed service. It is on a continuous loops with no definitive ending.They want to re-engage people with CFM.

They built a lot of technology back into franchise to set them up for success in the future and adding live features.

So what would franchise look like with live updates?

Rex puts emphasis on two things. Progression and Rewards.

"The more you play, the more you rank up." - Rex Dickson

He refers to leveling up as if it were a pokemon game.

The other guys share their ideas, and some that made Rex pause and think.

They also point out that they don't want to punish players who don't have the time to sit down and "grind". That is why games lean into "cosmetics" by providing nw uniforms and "peakocking".

CFM Ranking/ Rewards (compulsion Loop

Rex discusses how they are looking at adding some sort of ranking system to CFM to encourage players to play longer. He knows they want to incorporate this, however they do not know how yet. What would be something to work for outside of just continuously winning Super Bowls. He said it shouldn't be a feature that can give your team more power

Idea

As opposed to an online ranking system between other users being the focus, I think this would be perfect for a hall of fame system.

Based on how well a player or team performed, you can earn points towards the hall of fame.

You would compete with current and past players, coaches, and owners with the ultimate goal of becoming The G.O.A.T.

To get Tom Brady's score so far you would consider things like:

Stats: Every touchdown or yard is worth something that factors into a players success

Awards: Each award depending on the prestige of the award is worth something. For example league MVP might be 2,000 points, super bowl MVP would be 2,500, and rookie of the year might be 1,000.

Team Success: Each big game won would add some sort of legacy point. Won a Super Bowl? 1,000 points Beat a rival in the playoffs? 500 points. So on and so on.

You could then view where your players rank compared to everyone else in the NFL currently and historically. Or even view online where other people rank.

Is there something you want to play other than your games in franchise?

AzureEffect shares the idea of Skills trainers based on coaching.

This comment left Rex speechless until he stated:

If there was something EA could put out everyday, something you could play, what would you want it to be?

Rex states their is a lot of square pegs for round holes here...

Situational Playbook

Rex shares the idea of scout teams with the playbook of your upcoming opponent,and having situational playbooks for things like 2 minute offense 3rd and Long....

These ideas are for the future and not immediately because as Rex states...

"We need to rebuild and get franchise where it need to be and belongs first."

To get the thread back to where youíve started it, I put my thinking cap on to add to your initial ideas...

Live Updates

What makes the road to the super bowl so difficult is the constant roster turnover. If people are bored or become Disengaged by winning every year, the thing that makes winning so easy is their roster (not their stick skills - Iím sure there is data to back this up. How often do people opt for the legitimately worst team in a one off game). Roster management should be more challenging in a realistic way. The foundation of this is making cpu AI better for trading and drafting. That aside...

Things that periodically happen that cause a stir in me experience in CFM (for me and my league) stem from:

Coaching Changes
Draft Prospects
UDFA

Keeping that in mind, and any live update would have to apply to all CFMs no matter where they are in the season (online and offline) I would like to see:

Goat coaches - if EA can use retired players as cards in MUT then we should be able to see the same players in CFM. That said, I would like to see MUT goat players come back as coaches or have the bronze (baby goat) player inserted in the draft (under an alias)

Live updates to draft classes and UDFA - if there are players that no one in the CFM has scouted, I would like to see them replaced for different players. And their storylines pushed through a live update.

Draft prospect individual workouts - I would love it if you could play a skills trainer drill or practice with players from your draft board. As a simulation player I would like a test run with them. Even if I do not know their stats, seeing how they perform against a generic offense or defense of 70-75 overalls would help me craft my draft board.

Front office Dynamic goals - currently all goals are linked to gameplay performance, but if owners created goals for coaches or GMs mid season this would make the game more engaging between super bowls (resign a veteran player, trade up to the top 10) these are goals that are counterintuitive for perennial super bowl winners offline and also online CFMs. But they add a layer of depth, realism and a Super Bowl run more difficult.

Iím not sure if there could be live updates to playbooks but this would be pretty amazing. EA could roll out a handful of offensive and defensive plays from the prior week or two of actual nfl games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #210
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

So, I was watching a video about Madden 07...yes...Madden 07, and I came across something that really depressed me....

People can defend EA all they want about the lack of progress in some areas and cite short development cycles all they want (which is never a good excuse when they are charging a full $60 every single year), but even if you choose to defend how little franchise mode has improved, there is absolutely zero defense for all of the ways in which it has gone BACKWARDS. There are way way WAY too many things in earlier Madden's that never ever shouldve been removed, but rather improved upon over the years. Its sad and rather pathetic that the game was much deeper 10 years ago on a far less powerful console. Players had motivations and felt somewhat unique coupled with player roles (which I think need to be brought back in some form).

People always talk about NFL 2K5 and how Madden still falls short of even that bar in many ways....which is true, but hell, there is no need to even go outside the series! Just go back to mid 2000s Maddens and its easy that how many ways in which Madden has actually DEVOLVED! I dont know about you guys, but this is honestly sickening to me.....just to imagine what the game couldve been if things were actually improved up instead of removed and replaced with inferior features and microtransactions.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #211
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreatOne21
So, I was watching a video about Madden 07...yes...Madden 07 and I came across something that really depressed me....

Spoiler
Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

Showing an overwhelming amount of data on the screen is not gameplay depth, and meaningful gameplay decisions don't magically fall out from just throwing a bunch of meaningless numbers on the screen. These player motivation numbers from M07 didn't materially impact how users played the game at all. Any team could still sign any free agent they wanted by tossing enough money at them, and managing the salary cap in those old games was never particularly challenging.

I'll welcome player motivations (and stuff similar to it which is no longer in franchise) back into the game with open arms when they actually impact how I play the mode. Until then, we're better off that stuff like this was cut because - let's be honest - a lot of those old franchise mode features were meaningless window dressing. At least in the current state we're not making bad gameplay decisions based on misleading and meaningless data.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #212
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Showing an overwhelming amount of data on the screen is not gameplay depth, and meaningful gameplay decisions don't magically fall out from just throwing a bunch of meaningless numbers on the screen. These player motivation numbers from M07 didn't materially impact how users played the game at all. Any team could still sign any free agent they wanted by tossing enough money at them, and managing the salary cap in those old games was never particularly challenging.

I'll welcome player motivations (and stuff similar to it which is no longer in franchise) back into the game with open arms when they actually impact how I play the mode. Until then, we're better off that stuff like this was cut because - let's be honest - a lot of those old franchise mode features were meaningless window dressing. At least in the current state we're not making bad gameplay decisions based on misleading and meaningless data.
Mehhh I'd rather they build on basic features rather than cut them out. Although in this particular instance, there probably are too many factors, but this should be in the game with 4 or 5 categories by now. I think there are a lot of other examples of features being cut out that are still not back now anyway.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #213
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:

Iíve got to ask, really because Iíve struggled with it, what do you think materially impacts how you, or others play the mode?

Do you think there should be a difference between gameplay decisions and team management decisions? I ask because the chart seems to me more of a roster management than a game management chart. Are they two in the same, or should they be?

The effect of those (then meaningless) charts would be some of the player personality information from HC09. Which kind of means youíre managing the happiness of 52 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #214
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:

Worse, this is the stuff that pretty much ended my interesting franchise modes. I could handle that more when I was on a PC and reading data and messing with excel docs was easy. I never ever want to see a screen like that on a console game. Seriously. Never.

Plus, it was made up bull**** that pretended to be impactful. Worse, it meant that I was now going to automate this part of the game, yet too was still going to ruin the overall experience. What it did do was allow create a perfect storm of forum snobbery that runs off new players to a game.

Want to complain about your franchise? Then don't automate everything and wonder why your team sucks! Just another variation of "git good."

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 12-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #215
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

Quote:

Showing an overwhelming amount of data on the screen is not gameplay depth, and meaningful gameplay decisions don't magically fall out from just throwing a bunch of meaningless numbers on the screen.
If the numbers dont mean anything, then yes, the info on the screen is worthless.

If they are meaningfully affecting how players make decisions about whether they are willing to sign or resign with a team or maybe asking for a trade within franchise mode and youre saying that wouldnt be a very beneficial aspect to the mode, then your vision of franchise mode and mine are completely different, because thats exactly the type of attention to detail I want to see to make the game more engrossing and strategic.

Quote:
These player motivation numbers from M07 didn't materially impact how users played the game at all. Any team could still sign any free agent they wanted by tossing enough money at them, and managing the salary cap in those old games was never particularly challenging.
Okay, well, my point is, it should be more than just window dressing.

Stuff like that should actually hold weight when a player is determining what they want to do.

Quote:
I wish you wouldve started off with this, because then we couldve just agreed.

Yes, if its just window dressing to make the game seem deeper than it is (which EA and Madden do ALOT of), then I agree, its pointless to include it. Im just saying that I wish they would implement THAT system back into the game....but actually do it well.

Not just for players....but for coaches, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #216
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

And just for the record, Im not saying it has to be exactly like that. We see it KIND OF in Madden 18 where it shows contract length, team prestige, coach, etc.....when youre trying to sign players, but again, it means very little.

In the end, I just want players to feel different, both in gameplay and within franchise mode.

When it comes to gameplay....if I draft or sign an elite talent, I want to feel like I have a dominating player. I want to be able, game in and game out, to be able to tell the difference between a great player and a mediocre one, and despite what some say, you cant always tell that.

In franchise, I want there to be strategy to retaining players, that maybe involves coaches. Like, say a player hates the cold and plays for a cold weather team and is leaning towards signing in FA with a warm weather team. Maybe have different avenues a coach can take to maybe talk him into staying....like if they ever put in a team chemistry rating or maybe if the coach is just liked by the player, the coach could tout that and make it easier to sign said player.

In the end, money will always be a huge factor in where a player signs, but the other factors could determine whether he asks for well above market value to play for a certain team. If a WRs main motivation is team success and a good QB, maybe it would cost the Patriots $25m guaranteed to sign said player, while it might take a team like the Browns $40m guaranteed.

Again, in the end, I just want players to feel unique. Im sick of every player in Madden feeling the exact same. Absolutely kills immersion....although alot of things do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »