Home

Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

This is a discussion on Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #33
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Do we expect too much from video games today? I do believe a lot of the problems many of us have had with, specifically, sports games, is tied to there's no competition in the industry anymore. We have one football game, one hockey game, one baseball game, two basketball games (but let's be real, NBA 2K is the only game in town) and two soccer games. Publishers now have to try and appeal to everyone, and doing that is going to leave certain gamers frustrated and/or disappointed with aspects of the game.

The PS2/Xbox/GC-era was the golden age of sports video games. We had so many options for each sport, ranging from arcade to sim to those that were somewhere between the two. I don't see something like that coming back, so we're going to have to try our best to enjoy today's games for what they are, or move onto something else to play.
This a pretty spot on post. It was great growing up and playing video games during the golden age (PS1-PS2 where the growth of franchise modes took off and the choices were many for each sport).

I am good with Madden 16-18. I do have a lot of fun with those titles. But they have hit a wall in terms of AI and AI development. Seems now the wall was hit on madden 16. Because 17 and 18 did nothing to improve upon the strides made on M25, M15 and M16. For me it feels like development for better CPU AI was left on the shelf while MUT and Draft Champions etc and now we also know Longshot took center stage on "resources".

Cool. No problem. I will focus my sports gaming energies on games I find deeper and much better in terms of CPU AI (2K and The Show) and I will still have fun with Madden 16-18.

Sometimes you just have to know when to say goodbye or sever a relationship. That time has come for me with Madden football. It was a hell of a run. But I don't play MUT nor desire to. I have tried it.....meh. Just a grind and cash grab and I don't find any fun in it nor the gameplay.

Play Now Live while a very nice addition.....again. No interest for me. I like franchise mode. And CFM does enough things to keep me having fun, just so long as I can tolerate the shoddy CPU QB AI rearing it's ugly head in games.

It's a shame that simply was never fixed on 17 nor 18. It really is the only thing for me personally holding the game back from offline greatness. I can make a great franchise world with the tools I have. But I need a game that has competent AI on the field/court. Even if I have to manage it off the field/court (which I do on those other excellent titles) the on the field gameplay is critical and this is where Madden has been lapped over and over since the move to PS3. It's ridiculous actually. And it is a clear message we (offline solitaire players) are not worth the time to the company. When the stupid CPU punt glitch is still in a game two straight years.....the message is clear.

No prob. Has-ta La Vista Baby.
Madden 22
NBA 2K22
No Mans Sky

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #34
MVP

Not a fan of the idea of the "CFM Level". The reward, or payoff, comes from the progression of a team over multiple seasons. You keep coming back to keep improving your team. If they want to keep it "interesting" they can add random events with things like guys holding out, demanding more play time, asking to be traded, etc. . Those types of things can make a relatively linear mode into something more organic. Throwing in coordinators would allow for other teams to hire your coordinators out from under you creating additional uncertainty. There are better ways to keep people coming back than levels and cosmetic rewards.

This idea kind of surprised me but I'm not going to get too worried about it. The push for CFM over the next year or two seems to be real, so I'll cross the "level" bridge when it gets closer (probably 3 years out at the earliest).
Old 10-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #35
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

They are just looking at it the wrong way. I feel the majority of the people who would play franchise for these features are those who are currently playing MUT. The people who want franchise to be improved improved upon would probably not enjoy this for the most part. Just fix the damn mode and get rid of XP. I hate to hear Rex thinking XP is a good idea, it is one of the major foundational flaws of CFM.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #36
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
This a pretty spot on post. It was great growing up and playing video games during the golden age (PS1-PS2 where the growth of franchise modes took off and the choices were many for each sport).

I am good with Madden 16-18. I do have a lot of fun with those titles. But they have hit a wall in terms of AI and AI development. Seems now the wall was hit on madden 16. Because 17 and 18 did nothing to improve upon the strides made on M25, M15 and M16. For me it feels like development for better CPU AI was left on the shelf while MUT and Draft Champions etc and now we also know Longshot took center stage on "resources".

Cool. No problem. I will focus my sports gaming energies on games I find deeper and much better in terms of CPU AI (2K and The Show) and I will still have fun with Madden 16-18.

Sometimes you just have to know when to say goodbye or sever a relationship. That time has come for me with Madden football. It was a hell of a run. But I don't play MUT nor desire to. I have tried it.....meh. Just a grind and cash grab and I don't find any fun in it nor the gameplay.

Play Now Live while a very nice addition.....again. No interest for me. I like franchise mode. And CFM does enough things to keep me having fun, just so long as I can tolerate the shoddy CPU QB AI rearing it's ugly head in games.

It's a shame that simply was never fixed on 17 nor 18. It really is the only thing for me personally holding the game back from offline greatness. I can make a great franchise world with the tools I have. But I need a game that has competent AI on the field/court. Even if I have to manage it off the field/court (which I do on those other excellent titles) the on the field gameplay is critical and this is where Madden has been lapped over and over since the move to PS3. It's ridiculous actually. And it is a clear message we (offline solitaire players) are not worth the time to the company. When the stupid CPU punt glitch is still in a game two straight years.....the message is clear.

No prob. Has-ta La Vista Baby.
Yeah man no matter how deep franchise becomes if the CPU plays like a PS1 style CPU then it doesn't matter. The AI in and out of the game needs to be improved as well. I feel like outside of game (trades, FA, etc.) logic is much easier to improve but it hasn't been improved either so who knows. I wish they could use one of the self learning AIs and just see how that goes lol I almost have more confidence in that than in them putting the time and resources into improving offline gaming

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #37
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Want to know what would increase CFM popularity and longevity like crazy?

Coaching carousel.

It's ridiculous that we don't have any type of mode that allows you to be an O or D coordinator for a lower tier team like Cleveland, New York, or Jacksonville, and work your way up to more prestigious jobs like New England, Dallas, etc. eventually getting that big time HC offer with a lower tier or struggling team.

NCAA 14 perfected this & "coaching legacy" threads pop up daily.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #38
Banned

Brightline's Arena

Sobering to hear. Just crystallizes that this is just not headed in a direction that we want.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #39
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Long term, agree, it's not what I want and I'm sure many OSer's agree on that.

This is news to investors ears, though.

Ca-Ching.$

Last edited by roadman; 10-30-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #40
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Examples of how Madden needs to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoTy39c6i8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0OwsBui8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYv5wEg84Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5-eKcTO1XY

However will we ever get the gameplay right? I doubt it, but I do know they are trying to figure out how to get transactions into CFM. Its terrible, people say Rex is a "gameplay" Guy, then why do we still have suction tackles, QB AI statues, Tackle lock glitches (finally fixed) and the list goes on. Grant it, Madden does have some good in it, but enough's enough with the excuses. Madden 18 still can't out perform two games on old generation hardware. I want madden to be fun again and this is the first year i actually traded it in after a few months. Been playing since 92' and disappointed with the CFM untouched and gameplay issues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »