Home

Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

This is a discussion on Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #65
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex on Franchise Mode (10/26)

What I should say is that they are moving away from franchise in the traditional sense that many people here would like to see. In this video, Rex makes it pretty clear that franchise mode needs the MUT-like gimmicks to be worthy of EA's investment.

There will alway be a way to play a season, or even multiple seasons, in Madden going forward. That doesn't mean it has to limit itself to what the more sim players view this mode should be. But not also doesn't mean they can't find a more fun way to play out a season.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #66
MVP

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

look, lets all be honest for a minute. they know EXACTLY what we want from a franchise mode.

we want Madden 05 franchise mode with relocation and the ability to make our own uniforms via a team builder. bring back create A stadium whith changes made that actually show!!!

bring back position battles, hold outs, coordinators.

add most elements of head coach 09.

GET RID OF AN XP BASED PROGRESSION SYSTEM!!!

bring back mini camps, the mini drills in practice, create A Play.

let formation subs work for custom playbooks.

add to the immersion, we need sideline reporters again.

we need a half time show with realistic highlights and angles...not this half a** joke that it is now.

if they dony want to give us a weekly highlight show...fine, but give us a radio show again.

make trading more challenging, interactive, and rewarding.

scouting needs to become challenging, with editable draft classes.

look...im on the train with the gameplay...its poor...i stopped playing madden when 2k came out...

but 100% if Madden had a franchise mode with these RPG elements that let you feel immersed in the game...id be able to overlook the gameplay short comings for pure enjoyment of feeling like a GM and a coach and an owner.

here is the kicker that hits you where it hurts the most...

90% of things we are asking for in franchise mode are things that where in past madden games/nfl head coach and were implemented well. they dont have to spend all this time on it...they have everything already....just stick it in the flipping game for us!!!

they choose not too, they want ppl to turn to MUT an draft champions....

thats what EA has chose to do with the exclusive license. we as the consumer have been hosed with the lose of features that we are begging to return....and all are pleas are met with are excuses.

Sent from my VS987 using Operation Sports mobile app

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Old 10-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #67
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

For me, game play is king.

I'm on board with a deeper immersed CFM for everyone's enjoyment, but as I've mentioned before, I would button through some if not all of it because I have so much more fun on the field vs off the field and the length of time it takes to play a game.

I know I've said this before, but my games take a hour and 15 minutes to play as it is.

No Tony Bruno, though, that voice became like nails on a chalkboard after awhile.

Sounds like the voices are being heard with the ticking of more discussion towards CFM and hiring in CFM.

Gotta keep the fires burning and the CFM flags need to be kept raised!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #68
Rookie

I think that there should be an extremely rare 90 overall in the draft, I want them to be really good at the things that matter most at their position relating to there playstyle. I want to have once in a lifetime type players like lawrence taylor and players that you would consider amazing and the best at there position. The 2 other things that I would absolutely love in madden are custom draft classes and create-a-team. I would like the create-a-team to be something like the one they used to have, but more in-depth with the rosters. For example, you could make the whole team the way you wanted the team to be like as you used to be able to (in madden 12 I think), like custom, smash mouth, cupcake, or air-it-out) and you could select a position group, for example: d-line, then select if you want the d-line to be horrible, poor, decent, good, great, amazing, or custom, and custom would be you make or generate the player models for the d-line and how much people to be on the d-line, then you can select the players and give them a skill set like horrible, poor, decent, good, great, amazing, or custom. And you should be able to select 3-4 or 4-3 type linemen

Sent from my N9136 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #69
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I don't understand why there has to be a CFM "ranking system". I don't play CFM to be ranked, I don't want a half of game score tracker. I want to be a GM/Owner/Player and worry about 1)Building a team 2)winning games and 3) winning Super Bowls.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #70
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
All of this is why EA is moving away from focusing on CFM. It's artificial and pointless. If this is what you need to to enjoy franchise mode, I'm going say that you don't actually like franchise modes. You wasted three of your suggestions on glitz that helps you forget how bored you were getting through the season.

And for me, that's the real problem. While many of us have been playing franchise and sim sports games since you needed cards and dice, and then text sims, the market is different today. That's not a good or bad thing, it's just reality.

My personal belief is that once sliders became an essential part of sports games, franchise play became boring and stale. It's paint-by-numbers. For many, that game, adjusting sliders until you get the pre-approved results you were looking for is fun in itself. But what is impressive about winning a Super Bowl in a league you adjusted everything?

Throw in how ridiculously poor the AI manages rosters in all sports games, text and otherwise, it's not even impressive to build a cellar dweller into a champion. Honestly, this is why I mostly played in online leagues, as there was some sense of actual achievement.

But EA even ruined that by ditching custom leagues for this Connected crap. So if I play in a league with five other friends, I'm still stuck with crappy CPU AI for most of my games. All I want is a simple option to play in a custom league with say 6 teams, allowing for us to play 10 game seasons, and compete against each other.

As CM Hooe pointed out, this is part of why MUT's Salary Cap mode is a million times more interesting to me than a CFM league. We are playing with fairly equal teams, have an interesting process to building our team so that it matches how we want to play, and the continual content drops matches what is going on in the real NFL.

If you think a time consuming and grinding franchise mode is what helps sell the NFL, then you have completely dropped out of the loop. EA is selling video games, not simulation models for predicting real world results. They can sell hundreds of thousands (but probably less than 500K) copies of a true franchise sim. But they can hellions of Madden if it focuses on gameplay and superstars.

So if you can only play a sports game if you are a sim head, then it is back to the PC and text sims. But if you can play million other video game genres that bend reality to make things more fun, then maybe you could find the fun that many people are having with Madden right now.
If you've read some of my other posts in other threads i do have other gripes about the game besides presentation. I've mentioned how easy it is to scout and build an all pro roster in Madden which sucks the fun right out of their CFM mode. I never feel any urgency to retain a player or overpay for a free agent cause i know how easy it will be to find a cheaper replacement in the draft. Gameplay has its issues, but Im not a big complainer of gameplay cause i usually know exactly what to do to the sliders in order to give me good competition from the computer. I probably average winning the super bowl in my CFM's maybe once or twice if i go 10 -12 seasons deep. However their are work arounds for all these CFM type issues. You can adjust the xp sliders and make it really hard to build players out of the draft, which can force you into overpaying for free agents which could make or break your team if you get too greedy. Gameplay sliders can be fixed to my liking to get good gameplay for MY play style.

However what I CANT CONTROL is the awful boring presentation... I can not adjust sliders to give me a weekly rundown of whats going on in my league. I can not adjust a slider that gives more random stat pop ups, or replay camera angles. Theres no slider that will make the fans more intense during a playoff game. This is all up to Madden and the dev team to deliver that atmosphere to us. If you think its nothing but just "glitz" to blindfold us from the real problems then why does other sports franchises invest so much time into it and why do you think games like NBA 2k and The show are actually considered light years ahead of Madden? Those games have their gameplay flaws as well and roster building issues too, but usually you can control those things to a degree to satisfy your need of a challenge.

Companies like 2K invest a lot of time into giving us a true authentic experience through very detailed presentation and its for a reason. Its called Passion when creating an experience in a game that people will grow to love and be impressed with. It keeps the visuals from going stale and if done correctly it should bring more info to the player that helps connect you to the league your investing time into so you dont have to search around a bunch of boring menus just to find out whats happening in your league. If you stripped NBA 2k of its presentation elements it would not feel like you were playing the same experience. The game would not be where it is today. I think its a little more important than you think....and theres other games out there right now that prove why its important.

Last edited by Cato06; 11-01-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #71
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Throw in how ridiculously poor the AI manages rosters in all sports games, text and otherwise, it's not even impressive to build a cellar dweller into a champion. Honestly, this is why I mostly played in online leagues, as there was some sense of actual achievement.

As CM Hooe pointed out, this is part of why MUT's Salary Cap mode is a million times more interesting to me than a CFM league. We are playing with fairly equal teams, have an interesting process to building our team so that it matches how we want to play, and the continual content drops matches what is going on in the real NFL.
Your also suggesting that we need to bend for reality and forget single player mode and just play online for a real sense of achievement.... Dont assume we havnt tried that. Alot of Madden fans have been playing since the early 90's like myself and are now older, fathers with kids, wife, house , jobs, and other responsibilities. Our time with video games can be limited.

I played in an online league for NCAA football with 5 of my close family and friends before the lawsuit, and we tried the Madden online CFM experience for about 3 years straight. I gotta say it was fun the first time we did it, but it quickly became THE ABSOLUTE WORST NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE i have ever had with a video game when we had to actually schedule head to head matches while trying to balance everyones personal life. People get sick, people have different work schedules, people go on vacation. This created a nightmare situation for advancing the league at a reasonable pace. Not to mention the people it would effect around you. There would be some games that i had to schedule "TV time" in my living room because that was the only time the other guy could play. Meanwhile my wife and kids are sitting their watching me play madden at dinner time. Pretty pathetic when you think about it. Online will never be for everyone and we are NOT a minorty audience for Madden. Madden has been around a long time and there are plenty of old school ballers like myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #72
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato06
Your also suggesting that we need to bend for reality and forget single player mode and just play online for a real sense of achievement.... Dont assume we havnt tried that. Alot of Madden fans have been playing since the early 90's like myself and are now older, fathers with kids, wife, house , jobs, and other responsibilities. Our time with video games can be limited.

I played in an online league for NCAA football with 5 of my close family and friends before the lawsuit, and we tried the Madden online CFM experience for about 3 years straight. I gotta say it was fun the first time we did it, but it quickly became THE ABSOLUTE WORST NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE i have ever had with a video game when we had to actually schedule head to head matches while trying to balance everyones personal life. People get sick, people have different work schedules, people go on vacation. This created a nightmare situation for advancing the league at a reasonable pace. Not to mention the people it would effect around you. There would be some games that i had to schedule "TV time" in my living room because that was the only time the other guy could play. Meanwhile my wife and kids are sitting their watching me play madden at dinner time. Pretty pathetic when you think about it. Online will never be for everyone and we are NOT a minorty audience for Madden. Madden has been around a long time and there are plenty of old school ballers like myself.
For real a 32 man online is such a hassle. It is a pain in the *** to schedule a game every X days with all these different people, even if you have a good league. Offline is just convenient for so many people.

Football is so much about management and tactics, but Madden does not trend that way with how everything is set up. They keep saying CFM is the most played mode so why wouldn't they try to improve it and make it intellectually challenging? Sure, it would be fun to add a tournament mode where you can play against X amount of friends over the course of a season, but that doesn't mean you need to nix franchise mode to do so. Ultimate Team is there already for people into more "competitiveness" and gimmicks, franchise is there for the people who enjoy the meat and potatoes of football, so they should work on that imo. Plus, franchise has been so poor lately, but if they improved it to "more sim" I think casuals would appreciate it also. Plenty of people play 2K franchise and it is more in depth, and basketball is far less popular than football.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »