Home

Madden May Be A Roster Update After all

This is a discussion on Madden May Be A Roster Update After all within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden May Be A Roster Update After all

I'm curious how this would be priced out. Would you just pay a lump sum and get access for the year? The game just isn't good enough for it to be any other way. Otherwise, I would have paid for one month and realized it's not worth paying every month.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #18
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
Many people have said it over the years “there are no changes in the game. It’s just an over priced roster update”

Well that may be the future, or a version of it

We as a community ought to give some real thought as to what we can reasonably expect/demand/request from a live update service. As other threads have illustrated, for CFM (especially online players) it’s not as simple to execute as MUT or Longshot live updates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...ew-madden-game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I support this. And I support it for NBA 2K, MLB and so on...

This would be a wonderful thing for the industry. All sports games should do this. WE would finally have finished and completed product that works out of the box and the glitches and patches would not be needed. Least on paper it wouldn't. I'm all for this? What you say? I would pay like 10-15 bucks for a few updates and a roster update. Then wait for the next awesome release 2 years later.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
Here's the problem with the subscription model, at least the way it works with software i have at work.

You pay a monthly fee and all is well, you get fixes and generally 2 big updates a year. But if you want to stop paying you don't just lose access to updates you lose total access to the software.

So you spent your $60 on Madden. At the end of the year you decide I don't want to keep paying this. Well now you can't play Madden anymore at all.

Right now you can get 17 and get the patches and updates until that ends. Sure they don't update it anymore but you can still play it. You will always have this version you can play.

Subscription model well now you spent $60 for the year but you can't trade it in. You can't play the old version.

This may not bother some people but for some of us it will. I played NBA 2k16 for 2 years. I didn't upgrade the Show this year because I wasn't impressed enough with the updates and I kept 16 for that as well. You can't do that anymore.

On their end I am sure it makes sense or they wouldn't go down that road but I have never liked the subscription model

Just something to think about...
These are very good thoughts.

Madden is not worth $60 over a year, $5 a month for me.

I play Madden 17 offline when I need a football fix. I bought 17 for $20 at the end of the cycle last year and can still play that because Madden 18 is not worth $60 to me. EA probably understands this, because the model being proposed here would force me to commit $5 a month to the months I felt like getting a football fix, and EA would always be able to charge me full price for it.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
Xbox Series X

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

quite frankly they can update mut or whatever competitive mode is all year round as much as they want, but for the Football Season, there has to be a major update year to year, along with at least they support they are currently offering.

i have to think, al lot of what goes into the game of football, actually on the field action, is universal to all modes.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

As a customer who pays $60 for the privilege of playing a sports game year-round and sometimes beyond, this deeply concerns me. If a subscription-based model made it where I'd be paying more for that same privilege, I'd probably be done with that company's sports games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #22
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

So what about Art and Graphical updates?

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
As a customer who pays $60 for the privilege of playing a sports game year-round and sometimes beyond, this deeply concerns me. If a subscription-based model made it where I'd be paying more for that same privilege, I'd probably be done with that company's sports games.
I would expect both EA and 2K Sports embrace the model at the same time - call it collusion if you will - as it would make sense for them in so many ways...

1. They will not need to support older versions (say Madden 25, 16 and 17) along with the current version (18) and associated cost related to servers and other infrastructure.

2. It will align with their MUT/virtual cards concept as once the users are hooked, they will continue with the subscription else they risk losing their virtual teams/cards/coins etc. they had collected over the years.

3. Lot of people would subscribe to the service and continue doing so similar to gym memberships even though they don't use it much coz a $5 charge per month is unlikely to trigger too many folks to cancel the subscription.

4. No pressure on the developers/publishers to meet certain deadlines as there wouldn't be a need for the same. As long as they have the updated roster/kits in time for the season opener everything would be fine and they can add features at their convenience.

5. Publishers/Devs take out the game resale/second-hand/rental market (Gamestop, Gamefly, Redbox, Best Buy etc.) out of the picture resulting in more revenue for them. Now you won't be able to pick up a Madden 20 from the bin for $20 or trade in your last year's title.

6. Game Publishers/Developers will be in a much better position to find additional revenue streams (targeted ads etc.) as they will have a far more comprehensive picture of the consumers and consumer base in general. They would be able to figure out when certain users are more likely to cancel the "service" and target them and thus more likely to retain a higher subscriber base. They will find a way to monetise this subscriber/consumer info they will have on their tips.

This model simply makes way too much sense for them not to opt for. Another few years and I expect them to give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

My major concerns would be:

(1) Inability to play the game offline at all if the internet connection is down or seriously degraded. For various reasons, this has been an issue for me at times.

(2) Increase in the overall cost for the basic game/service beyond the $60 a year we pay now.

(3) Degradation of offline, head to head multiplayer (the only way I ever really play multiplayer).

I suspect one or more of those will be an issue, which would make me much less likely to subscribe to such a service, and more likely to just stick with whatever the last release of the previous type of Madden ends up being.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »