Home

Madden May Be A Roster Update After all

This is a discussion on Madden May Be A Roster Update After all within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #25
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden May Be A Roster Update After all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
I would expect both EA and 2K Sports embrace the model at the same time - call it collusion if you will - as it would make sense for them in so many ways...

1. They will not need to support older versions (say Madden 25, 16 and 17) along with the current version (18) and associated cost related to servers and other infrastructure.

2. It will align with their MUT/virtual cards concept as once the users are hooked, they will continue with the subscription else they risk losing their virtual teams/cards/coins etc. they had collected over the years.

3. Lot of people would subscribe to the service and continue doing so similar to gym memberships even though they don't use it much coz a $5 charge per month is unlikely to trigger too many folks to cancel the subscription.

4. No pressure on the developers/publishers to meet certain deadlines as there wouldn't be a need for the same. As long as they have the updated roster/kits in time for the season opener everything would be fine and they can add features at their convenience.

5. Publishers/Devs take out the game resale/second-hand/rental market (Gamestop, Gamefly, Redbox, Best Buy etc.) out of the picture resulting in more revenue for them. Now you won't be able to pick up a Madden 20 from the bin for $20 or trade in your last year's title.

6. Game Publishers/Developers will be in a much better position to find additional revenue streams (targeted ads etc.) as they will have a far more comprehensive picture of the consumers and consumer base in general. They would be able to figure out when certain users are more likely to cancel the "service" and target them and thus more likely to retain a higher subscriber base. They will find a way to monetise this subscriber/consumer info they will have on their tips.

This model simply makes way too much sense for them not to opt for. Another few years and I expect them to give it a shot.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #26

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr

Yep. That's spot on. I'd welcome this model if it's done right. Imagine getting updates to the rosters of new rookies in April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #27
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
My major concerns would be:

(1) Inability to play the game offline at all if the internet connection is down or seriously degraded. For various reasons, this has been an issue for me at times.

(2) Increase in the overall cost for the basic game/service beyond the $60 a year we pay now.

(3) Degradation of offline, head to head multiplayer (the only way I ever really play multiplayer).

I suspect one or more of those will be an issue, which would make me much less likely to subscribe to such a service, and more likely to just stick with whatever the last release of the previous type of Madden ends up being.
Add this to the list....

If they remove or limit the roster editing/sharing features already in the game.....Its a non starter for me...I'm going to want no part of that model....

EAs vanilla roster updates have not been good enough....and its the community and the ability to share rosters that help make it bearable .

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #28
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

If they released a game every other year, we'd get twice as many new features that would be twice as bad as what they are now.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris
Yep. That's spot on. I'd welcome this model if it's done right. Imagine getting updates to the rosters of new rookies in April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If it's done right"...
Every time Madden does something new to "set Madden up for the future", it usually means one more step backwards.

This company has given me not a single reason to trust them or be optimistic about anything like this.

We are still recovering from the disaster known as CCM from Madden 13.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
My major concerns would be:

(1) Inability to play the game offline at all if the internet connection is down or seriously degraded. For various reasons, this has been an issue for me at times.

(2) Increase in the overall cost for the basic game/service beyond the $60 a year we pay now.

(3) Degradation of offline, head to head multiplayer (the only way I ever really play multiplayer).

I suspect one or more of those will be an issue, which would make me much less likely to subscribe to such a service, and more likely to just stick with whatever the last release of the previous type of Madden ends up being.
Software as a Service (SaaS) doesn't always mean online only and I'd be extremely disappointed if that was the route that went down. Sim City and Diablo III are cautionary tales (as is the original plan for the Xbox One) - why go for that type of headache when you can just operate in the same manner as Office 365?

...though this is EA we're talking about of course!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #31
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
I don't know why, but I just see this being one more nail in the coffin for offline franchise.

Every Time they release something "new and exciting", it usually means bad news for the offline crowd
Worth noting that CFM isn’t just for the offline crowd, there are plenty of online CFM gamers out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #32
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
Worth noting that CFM isn’t just for the offline crowd, there are plenty of online CFM gamers out there.
The reason I specify offline is because Madden is gearing everything towards online play.

If the game is going to depend on continuous updates, there will be no reason to ever start an offline CFM.

Personally, I think the concept of one Madden that continuously updates is a great idea. But with you and I both being CFM fans, I can not help but be skeptical of this idea, especially for franchise and what we have seen so far.

Madden has to prove a lot to me in order for me to trust this kind of idea going forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »