Home

Pay to Play in Madden

This is a discussion on Pay to Play in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Pay to Play in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
If EA learned their lesson from Battlefront 2 you'd think that they would change it instead of continually finding more ways to make it pay to win. Ideally it would be great if they changed based on the backlash to BF2, but it doesn't seem to be deterring them from trying to squeeze any penny they can out of their customers.

I don't see them prioritizing the gamer over their potential profit in that situation at all and that's a bit worrisome since they own the rights to the only football game and they make the best soccer game each year.
It is very hard to pivot a AAA game quickly. Battlefront II is a massive game, and asking for a massive change in the game's economic model in mere weeks is not realistic. If they do change the game - I doubt they do, it's Star Wars, it's going to make money hand-over fist - it's going to take a title update, and it won't come out until like March or April at the earliest.

Realistically, I can't imagine we'll see a pronounced shift in how the game industry by-and-large is doing things until the middle of next year, but I think we will see one. We've been seeing pretty significant and more organized media and community pushback against exploitative micro-transactions and in-game economies this fall - there's been significant and growing negative feedback on how Shadow of War, Forza Motorsport 7, Battlefront II, and Call Of Duty: WWII have built microtransactions into their games. Games which are close to finished or just gone gold don't have time to react to that pushback. Projects which still have a ways to go to the finish line still have time to pivot. Things like loot boxes aren't going to just up and go away, though - they make too much money - but they will be changed to be more palatable, less exploitative, and less compromising of games' design.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1

Itís off the topic of madden, but I have no problem with how Forza and COD WWII handle micro transactions/loot boxes. In COD itís all cosmetic and you unlock things relatively quick.

Forza I especially donít know what the fuss is about, because you can drive any car in the game (besides some DLC ones which are one of the times Iím ok with DLC because the cost offsets the developmental/licensing costs) in free mode, and the rewards in career mode are good enough to keep you going without ever spending a dime. The main problem for Forza is that people donít up the race length to long which is where the game feels balanced both for gameplay and rewards.

Battlefront has a bigger problem because they are locking iconic characters behind ~40 hours of playtime each. Thatís unreasonable and I wouldnít assume the Starwars name is going to get them off the hook. Now if ďDarth Vadar but in gold!Ē took 40 hours they wouldnít be hearing any of this.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Forza I especially don’t know what the fuss is about, because you can drive any car in the game (besides some DLC ones which are one of the times I’m ok with DLC because the cost offsets the developmental/licensing costs) in free mode, and the rewards in career mode are good enough to keep you going without ever spending a dime. The main problem for Forza is that people don’t up the race length to long which is where the game feels balanced both for gameplay and rewards.
Specific to Forza (because I was a big fan of the series at one point) - Turn 10 compromised the game design to get loot boxes in.

One of the best-designed features from previous Forza games IMO was how the game handled driving assists. As a new player, you started with all the driving assists enabled - anti-lock brakes, automatic shifting with clutch assist, optimal driving line, etc. etc. As you improved your driving skills, you could turn these assists off one-by-one, and as you did so the game increased your credit rewards for racing on a higher difficulty. It's a simple but effective way to handle ramping up player skill.

That's gone now. The bonuses for turning off the assists are gone. Instead Turn 10 replaced those with credit modifiers found in crates - night racing mode, rain racing mode, etc. You get bonus credits for using these modifiers during races, which let you buy more loot boxes. It doesn't really make much sense, it doesn't help or incentivize new players get better at the game to become great players in online races, which is the direction that game is trending in given the existence of official FM racing ladders now.

This is the sort of stuff we're seeing the strongest push-back against with respect to loot boxes / micro-transactions in 2017: stuff that undermines the actual meat-and-potatoes of playing and mastering the game. This is the sort of stuff I don't want to see - and I doubt we will see - in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Did they not do this with the final version of NCAA?

IIRC you could buy tools to get better scouting, better player development, etc. and if you did not pay it wasn't like you could unlock it.

I may be wrong here. I honestly do not remember.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Did they not do this with the final version of NCAA?

IIRC you could buy tools to get better scouting, better player development, etc. and if you did not pay it wasn't like you could unlock it.

I may be wrong here. I honestly do not remember.
You couldn't buy the coach boosts in NCAA with real money, no.

A few older versions of Madden did have pay-to-win mechanics, cheats you could by with real money, and those were in Franchise mode. You could buy max player progression boosts and block retirement cheats in Madden NFL 10. Those went away when Connected Franchise was introduced in M13, though.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #14
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

I hope you're right and we do see a change because microtransactions have not only hampered gameplay but are also extremely exploitative. 2K was terrible with this at the beginning of 2k18 and is still bad but they got a lot of deserved backlash. Star Wars went from a definite buy to a non buy for me once I saw the issues. It really is frustrating that these suits are getting in the way of developers putting out quality games and us gamers enjoying them

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

If it was called SW Battlefront 18, they wouldn't need to put a structure in place to incentivize purchases for people wanting to get caught up when they make their initial purchase this time next year. Every iteration of madden is replaced annually.

As we can see from today's pr reaction, EA is going to take as much as the consumers will give them and compromise when the market tells them what is unreasonable. I don't think they'll make us pay for things that are already part of the game, but I could see them adding scouting report packages for the draft or time saving things.

And even though a digital subscription model implies more development time because of digital distribution, I don't think their intentions are strictly to deliver a better product. I think it will allow them to cleverly earn more money in some form also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You couldn't buy the coach boosts in NCAA with real money, no.

A few older versions of Madden did have pay-to-win mechanics, cheats you could by with real money, and those were in Franchise mode. You could buy max player progression boosts and block retirement cheats in Madden NFL 10. Those went away when Connected Franchise was introduced in M13, though.
You definitely could buy the dynasty cheats for real money in some versions of NCAA. You could do stuff like pay cash for an extra pipeline state or boost your RtG player. I think some of it was still around in 14 but I'm not 100% on that, but I am 100% sure in earlier versions they had pay to win features that would cause a riot now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »