Home

Pay to Play in Madden

This is a discussion on Pay to Play in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Pay to Play in Madden

I thought about not responding to this thread because that 2nd paragraph in the OP is just bait (and has been called out as such), but I do want to comment on one thing. If you put the ideas of subscription service and charging for modes together it becomes a little more realistic and believable. For instance, if I wanted to play only franchise/offline stuff (not MUT, in other words) I could pay only for the that component of the game. That's not realistic for a year-to-year purchase like Madden currently is, but if it's a consistent subscription service that changes things.

It goes without saying that I would expect to pay less than the full price of a subscription by doing this. And I'm not at all convinced I'd even want this approach because, as I said in another thread, I play sports games year-round and would almost certainly end up having the subscription cost end up being higher than the current price of the yearly game. Most people would just drop their sub in the offseason, but I wouldn't because I know I'd still be playing the game.

Just trying to think outside the box a little with EA floating those subscription ideas around.

Last edited by bcruise; 11-14-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #18
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
You definitely could buy the dynasty cheats for real money in some versions of NCAA. You could do stuff like pay cash for an extra pipeline state or boost your RtG player. I think some of it was still around in 14 but I'm not 100% on that, but I am 100% sure in earlier versions they had pay to win features that would cause a riot now.
Now that you mention it, I do remember some of those things in older NCAA games. Probably around the same time period (10 / 11 iterations). So I stand corrected in that regard. I don't remember them being in 14, though. EA Sports by-and-large moved away from paid cheats as they became more focused on online competitive.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
It would be extremely difficult to make a Pay to Play component of CFM, short of locking the whole thing behind a pay wall which I have complete confidence would tank sales irretrievably and be the literal End of Madden.

You could put in pay to win features and they have before. NCAA had them with advanced recruiting and progression and a few other things.

I donít know how that would go over now. Battle lines have been drawn between the CFM and online/MUT crowds that would make there be far more noise if that were tried again. Imagine madden launching next year and for $10 you get more XP points per player and you can see who other teams are scouting. I donít see that going over well and more importantly I donít see them selling a lot of those, which is probably why it didnít move over from NCAA in the first place.
First off, they would have to make creating a super bowl team much harder to build before they could introduce ways to pay to make it easier. For many of us that would be a welcome benefit as long as the paid elements were nonessential.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It is very hard to pivot a AAA game quickly. Battlefront II is a massive game, and asking for a massive change in the game's economic model in mere weeks is not realistic. If they do change the game - I doubt they do, it's Star Wars, it's going to make money hand-over fist - it's going to take a title update, and it won't come out until like March or April at the earliest.
For what itís worth they lowered the hero cost by 75% (and no they didnít lower rewards by the same amount, only the reward for completing campaign) in about a day, so when thereís a lot of heat they actually can make massive changes quickly.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
First off, they would have to make creating a super bowl team much harder to build before they could introduce ways to pay to make it easier. For many of us that would be a welcome benefit as long as the paid elements were nonessential.
Yeah,

In addition to this, 2K has proven how efficiently you can nickel and dime impatient users in their MyCareer mode which is essentially a "Player" CFM. I've wanted something similar for football since I started playing 2K at the end of 2014, after I finally gave up on Madden.

Unfortunately Madden lacks so many fundamental football concepts when it comes to their product that I don't think they could pull that off like 2K does for a number of years, at least.

So it can be done. Whether or not it's in the best economic interest of EA is another question entirely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Haha, then accidentally making the game more sim to try and work in PTW features would be amazing.

Edit: to me the scariest thing about PTW making it in to CFM would be that we would certainly lose editing.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
For what it’s worth they lowered the hero cost by 75% (and no they didn’t lower rewards by the same amount, only the reward for completing campaign) in about a day, so when there’s a lot of heat they actually can make massive changes quickly.
Yeah, they can absolutely rebalance the existing economy quickly, and I'm not surprised they did that. They had to do something in the face of all the backlash. Rebuilding how heroes are earned is more along the lines as to what I was referring to.

To give a couple recent examples which got built into MUT: Tiburon can change the prices of card packs, elite card drop rates, coins awarded for completing solo challenges, and so on very quickly. That's all just messing with tuning values, not unlike the tuners they drop periodically for gameplay. Creating a new MUT gameplay restriction - Salary Cap mode - or creating different metagames to award powerful cards - turning in sets of item and player cards for better player cards, making player cards have increased ratings within certain date ranges, making player cards automagically transform into different player cards when certain conditions are met - takes more time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »