Home

Concrete Strategy for Mitigating Sacks Issue

This is a discussion on Concrete Strategy for Mitigating Sacks Issue within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Concrete Strategy for Mitigating Sacks Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
Stick with zone concepts if you aren't great at following a receiver in man coverage. Unfortunately zone defense in the game isn't great.Too often defenders end up manning the wrong zone or not covering receivers entering their zones.

You can also mix in some zone coverage with cover-1 and cover-2 concepts by manning the LB/S in hook/deep coverage.
If you have specific techniques that you use to play man effectively, please share them. I'd be interested in learning. As it stands, I feel like I don't have an "approach" when playing man, so I run toward the receiver from the S position, say, and then try to break with him, but it often feels like a guessing game and like I'm doing it wrong.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
If you have specific techniques that you use to play man effectively, please share them. I'd be interested in learning. As it stands, I feel like I don't have an "approach" when playing man, so I run toward the receiver from the S position, say, and then try to break with him, but it often feels like a guessing game and like I'm doing it wrong.
Part of the enjoyment in playing man coverage is if you guess wrong it can be a normal completion or a huge play. Eventually you will see the CPU QB use the same play or formation though. Can be hints to what they plan on running.

You don't want to break on the receiver at the start though. Play it lazily and look to break on the ball when they make a cut. Can easily get a user lurk if you are quick enough to get back underneath the receiver. All it takes is a split second move in the wrong direction for the CPU to lock in to one receiver. Then it is all about getting back in time. That is for user interceptions though. You want to bait the QB into throwing where they shouldn't. Otherwise play lock down coverage to allow your pass rush to get there.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
It takes practice, but you should really trying sticking with a LB or Safety.
Yeah, but then, if the LB or DB you are using happens to be covering the primary route(s), the CPU AI will still shut down.

Ultimately, the root cause is whatever EA has coded the QB AI to do (or not do).
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
Yeah, but then, if the LB or DB you are using happens to be covering the primary route(s), the CPU AI will still shut down.

Ultimately, the root cause is whatever EA has coded the QB AI to do (or not do).
Not true at all. I've seen QBs scramble plenty of times. I've seen them throw the ball away.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

I had a 16 sack game a couple weeks ago. I control the MLB and don't blitz. I believe most sacks came from Nickel 2 man under. Cam Wake had 10 sacks for me in that game... Not all games are as bad but sometimes the stars align I guess...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan

I actually agree with this from anecdotal experience. I have played S and LB some, and when I happen to take the primary away effectively, the CPU QB seems not to deal with that well and sacks occur.

It's part of the reason I do user the DL in the specific ways I outlined. It seems to allow the CPU QB AI to function at maximum capacity, whereas being overly aggressive in the rush or overly good at user coverage seems to compromise the CPU QB's AI and lead to sacks.

Should it be this way? No. Does it seem to be? Yes. The question, then, is what to do in response. I've decided to play defense in a way that still gives me a role but does not diminish the CPU's admittedly meager ability to cope with aggressive user play.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Too lazy to read through the whole forum, but I ask this:

Will this work offline? I canít tell you how many times Tyron Smith has gotten manhandled by 70 DEs. This is with Pass Blocking Sliders at 100, fatigue off, and on All-Pro sim. Dak was sacked ten times and seven of them came from Smithís side.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Too lazy to read through the whole forum, but I ask this:

Will this work offline? I canít tell you how many times Tyron Smith has gotten manhandled by 70 DEs. This is with Pass Blocking Sliders at 100, fatigue off, and on All-Pro sim. Dak was sacked ten times and seven of them came from Smithís side.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
All I play is solo offline CFM, so, yes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »