Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #73
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

the whole gambling thing is going to get awfully law ridden. for example the lucky dip in the lottery is advertised as random, which is incorrect as it is pseudo-pseudo random at best, not truly random according to probability. companies that loot box are going to have to prove payout percentages etc and thats when it becomes fun when those are published.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #74
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

https://powerup-gaming.com/2017/11/2...y-ea-freemium/

If this story is true, that would explain a lot about Madden's finished project compared to the intensity and passion that a lot of these devs "White, Dickson, Oldenburg, etc" have.

You could have the greatest blue print (DeuceDouglass), and it will get nowhere as long as EA can't monetize the mode.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M

I thought this video was a pretty good summary of EA's history and the challenges they'll face going forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great

I thought this video was a pretty good summary of EA's history and the challenges they'll face going forward.
That was eye opening. And I feel the same as the guy in the video.
EA has stopped innovating, and relying on loot boxes to cover lost sales of games...they no longer care about quality. It's a shame.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #77
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:

Thanks for the post, Alex!

Great Stuff in this video!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #78
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Thumbs up Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Quote:

The thing that stuck out the most is that EA's revenue has gone up, and even with inflation they are paying less for development than they were in 2009.

This just adds validity to the argument that microtransactions and MUT have made Madden worse.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #79
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
The thing that stuck out the most is that EA's revenue has gone up, and even with inflation they are paying less for development than they were in 2009.

This just adds validity to the argument that microtransactions and MUT have made Madden worse.
There is a much more reasonable and far less cynical explanation than "EA is intentionally gimping and half-assing our favorite games to make more money".

EA has been pushing hard to use Frostbite for everything across the whole company - not just sports, everything - which would very immediately and obviously lower costs across the board after the initial investment. Further, the entire AAA game sector, EA obviously included, has reduced cost in the general case by consolidating and closing studios, taking fewer risks with respect to the games they design and develop, and focusing on games which include more user engagement / retention features with frequent post-launch content refreshes and in-game purchases. AAA studios have also cut costs by putting money in overseas tax shelters. Super Bunnyhop put out a well-researched video on this, focusing on Activision-Blizzard, but EA is a big enough company that they'd also benefit from doing this.

To that end, I'm not sure how "MUT makes Madden a worse game" logically flows out from "EA has increased revenue and reduced costs since 2009". EA has very obviously worked to improve process and streamline their portfolio across all studios under the EA flag, and they have possibly taken advantage of loopholes in various corporate tax laws as well. Beyond that, I know plenty of hard-working guys who work and/or worked at Tiburon, and they aren't just bean counters.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #80
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelR2000
Are you sure Madden 18 is going to sell 5 million units this year? I would love to see proof that this game is selling well.

I saw somewhere that initial sales of M18 were down 2 million than when M17 sold ($3 down to $1 mil). Even with post-patch purchases and Christmas coming, I donít think 18 can eclipse 3 million units, much less 5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »