Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #25
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
A lot of if's being thrown about.

Madden keeps the status quo with MUT, there will be no issues going forward.
IF* Madden keeps the status quo.

and IF* Madden keeps microtransactions just to MUT.

I am still bracing for the day they add Microtransactions to CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #26
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
IF* Madden keeps the status quo.

and IF* Madden keeps microtransactions just to MUT.

I am still bracing for the day they add Microtransactions to CFM.
Ok, you added it, not me. lol

I just don't feel there will be any changes in the MUT area of Madden.

If* and when* they add microtransactions to CFM, I'll hold steady as I have for MUT, not one penny more for the game.

I know others would pay for those microtransactions to CFM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #27
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I can't see that lawsuit getting anywhere, it's no different than all the packs of baseball cards I bought as a kid hoping for a Ken Griffey Jr rookie card and ending up with a bunch of bums
Old 11-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #28
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I can't see that lawsuit getting anywhere, it's no different than all the packs of baseball cards I bought as a kid hoping for a Ken Griffey Jr rookie card and ending up with a bunch of bums
It is extremely different.

You bought cards as a kid to get that legendary 1989 Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck so you could own, collect and appreciate it.

People buy packs of cards for MUT and Madden for a competitive edge. Madden has put a huge focus and emphasis on tournament play this year, with cash rewards. So if you are buying packs of cards in hopes of getting a 99 overall Bo Jackson to gain a competitive edge over someone for a tournament with a cash prize that EA hosts, that by definition is gambling.

Using money to take a chance at gaining something to enhance your chance at making more money.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #29
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

MUT / FUT / MyTeam / all other sports game equivalents aren't going anywhere.

It makes too much money, the players who do complain about it weren't spending money in MUT anyway (typically it's something like 10% of a game's player base accounts for 90% of said game's microtransaction revenue), the NFL cares about making money foremost, and there is no government regulation of video game loot crates / equivalents inbound anytime soon (notably in the United States, which is the overwhelmingly dominant territory in the composition of Madden's worldwide audience).

If the NFL wanted EA to turn off MUT, they'd have already done so since the NFL must approve everything that gets into Madden anyway, and that's been the case for many many years.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 11-19-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #30
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
MUT / FUT / MyTeam / all other sports game equivalents aren't going anywhere.

It makes too much money, the players who do complain about it weren't spending money in MUT anyway (typically it's something like 10% of a game's player base accounts for 90% of said game's microtransaction revenue), the NFL cares about making money foremost, and there is no government regulation of video game loot crates / equivalents inbound anytime soon (notably in the United States, which is the overwhelmingly dominant territory in the composition of Madden's worldwide audience).

If the NFL wanted EA to turn off MUT, they'd have already done so since the NFL must approve everything that gets into Madden anyway, and that's been the case for many many years.
The NFL views MUT the same way they view Fantasy Football, DraftKings, and any other game that is derived from the NFL. They view it as a way for people to gain interest and be invested in the game. The NFL will never shut down MUT.

What would shut down MUT is a lawsuit. And before people dismiss that idea, just remember, the death of NCAA football only took one person to be upset to end that entire franchise. All it takes is one person to take EA to court, someone like:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/17-y...0-playing-fifa

or any other person who becomes addicted to their microtransactions.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #31
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
The NFL views MUT the same way they view Fantasy Football, DraftKings, and any other game that is derived from the NFL. They view it as a way for people to gain interest and be invested in the game. The NFL will never shut down MUT.

What would shut down MUT is a lawsuit. And before people dismiss that idea, just remember, the death of NCAA football only took one person to be upset to end that entire franchise. All it takes is one person to take EA to court, someone like:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/17-y...0-playing-fifa

or any other person who becomes addicted to their microtransactions.
The legal barriers to keep NCAA going is what killed that franchise, not so much the lawsuits to get money for using past player likenessess. The NCAA is run by imbeciles, and so is EA. Therefore, the issues that could allow EA to continue the NCAA franchise will likely never be resolved.

Like I said before though, EA leans on microtransactions anymore...for all of their games. Its exploitative, but its likely only going to get worse, especially for Madden since so many people throw money at them every year, regardless of the quality of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #32
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Make it sound so simple that is so easy to tell the NFL that EA is doing an injustice to it's customers when the sales don't confirm that, the NFL and EA have a pretty solid agreement and the NFLPA and EA are strong, too.

You make a pretty good point. The agreements between EA and the NFLPA are mutually exclusive.

We may not be able to get EAs attention or the NFL but a few thousand tweets to players or NFLPA executives could get the attention OP is looking for. Their followers pale in comparison to the number of Reddit and OS posters. Since EA is a large source of their revenue (and jersey sales etc http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...ts/NFLPA.aspx?. Boycotting jersey purchases, madden etc could stir up enough news for 2020/21 renegotiations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »