Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, with your philosophy, I should wait a month, buy it used or buy on ebay vs paying less for the game at launch.

Sorry, that math and budget doesn't agree with me. Plus, there are consistently 5 to 6 million customers that purchase the game per year. It's a difficult task to even reach 5% of that audience.
Are you sure Madden 18 is going to sell 5 million units this year? I would love to see proof that this game is selling well.

Last edited by MelR2000; 11-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
Just started!

OVR: 0

The thing that most of you will be missing if the Belgium suit goes thru, it allows the whole of the EU to get in the suit and can lead to the EU government itself suing EA for damages.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #43
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adin
The thing that most of you will be missing if the Belgium suit goes thru, it allows the whole of the EU to get in the suit and can lead to the EU government itself suing EA for damages.
Which can then lead to many other scenarios. Some which could benefit the consumers.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
One realistic change I could reasonably see happening is some new warning label applied to games by the ESRB in response to public pressure - "contains loot boxes" or something like that on the back of the game's physical box. That's as far as I see this going in the US anytime soon.

I suppose there is some extremely-unlikely outcome where the ESRB could immediately classify any game with loot boxes as a minimum T rating. This would very immediately and very obviously affect all sports games, which have historically always earned E ratings from the ESRB and I have to imagine that rating is mandated by the respective leagues. However, I suspect video game publishers would strongly fight back against that reclassification.
I think this is the best way to get something changed. The best route to go would be to contact prominent child psychologists and get their opinion on loot boxes and similar video game tactics and their effect/manipulation on children. If they agree its a deceptive or manipulative practice then you could go to ESRB with that information.

I don't think arguing loot boxes or card games like MUT/FUT are gambling will get you very far. As CM Hooe has mentioned, it really doesn't fall under the legal definition of gambling. ESRB has already come out and stated as much. That doesn't mean that these practices aren't deceptive and deserving of regulation though.

Here's a good article with some quotes from the Director at the Center for Gambling Research at UBC.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #45
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Like I said...
Belgium found it to be gambling.
Now it has caught some attention in the US.

http://www.pcgamer.com/us-legislator...battlefront-2/

Last edited by Toupal; 11-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #46
Banned

Hawaii is on board, EA is in serious trouble
Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #47
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Like I said...
Belgium found it to be gambling.
Now it has caught some attention in the US.

http://www.pcgamer.com/us-legislator...battlefront-2/
No, Belgium did not rule loot boxes were gambling.

Further, Belgium's gambling commission isn't a legislative body, so while it can offer an opinion that it considers loot box mechanics as gambling, that doesn't make loot boxes illegal in Belgium unless and until laws are enacted.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #48
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
No, Belgium did not rule loot boxes were gambling.

Further, Belgium's gambling commission isn't a legislative body, so while it can offer an opinion that it considers loot box mechanics as gambling, that doesn't make loot boxes illegal in Belgium unless and until laws are enacted.
The ball is rolling. EA reached too far with Battlefront, and it has caught the attention of people that can make a change.

As stated above, EA is in trouble.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »