Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Ok, I see and understand where you are going with it, just don't agree that not much come of it.

A few new laws and business as usual, if it ever goes that far.

And as CM said, it's not a just an EA thing, it's industry wide.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #58
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ok, I see and understand where you are going with it, just don't agree that not much come of it.

A few new laws and business as usual, if it ever goes that far.

And as CM said, it's not a just an EA thing, it's industry wide.
Oh absolutely. Like I stated earlier, this could potentially be the biggest change in modern gaming history.
PS4, XBOX 1, PC, and even phone games would be effected.

Game forums everywhere could have this same discussion, but the reason it is important to Madden (especially these forums) is because of a few things:

1. There has always been a sense of negativity surrounding all of EAs resources going MUT and the online community because of microtransactions

2. How would the MUTheads handle this ?.

3. This opens up a lot of discussion and conversation amongst Madden players
Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #59
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Oh absolutely. Like I stated earlier, this could potentially be the biggest change in modern gaming history.

Game forums everywhere could have this same discussion, but the reason it is important to Madden (especially these forums) is because of a few things:

1. There has always been a sense of negativity surrounding all of EAs resources going MUT and the online community because of microtransactions

2. How would the MUTheads handle this ?.

3. This opens up a lot of discussion and conversation amongst Madden players
I do respect your enthusiasm and your opinion, but there are ramifications if it goes any further than changing a few laws. You need to consider the whole picture.

1. If anything does happen, there will be no MUT revenue for the entire game. Less revenue=less features=jobs could be eliminated. And maybe not just in the area of MUT. And industry wide, jobs will be at stake.

2. If anything does happen, there could be disappointment from their end, but I just don't see how it goes that far with a few law changes.

3. If it goes that far, it could perhaps open dialogue, but it's way too early in the process to get excited about anything one way or the other.

It's a wait and see game from here and it might be awhile before a few laws are changed.

Last edited by roadman; 11-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 1

MUT could still be monetized, depending on how the law is written. The main problem seems to be the random nature of the microtransactions. If you were paying $5 for that Randy Moss card I doubt there’s any noise. If you’re pumping $5 in over and over to try and get one there is.

And I won’t shed a tear for EA when it comes to this. They made the decision to push development toward exploitive modes like MUT when they could have been developing other feature sets. I feel bad for the progreammers if they get laid off but that may be a necessary correction once the industry stops farming money from addicts and starts selling games to people who want to play them again.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #61
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
I mean, sure, it could be. However, to position that chance as anything more than an extremely unlikely and remote possibility which in the United States is years if not decades away at best - the United States being the only region which affects Madden NFL to any significant degree - is a disingenuous argument.

This isn't the NCAA video games player likeness story where there were existing laws and court precedent on the book for other courts to follow. US gambling laws very clearly spell out what is and is not gambling. Video game loot boxes very obviously fail to meet that legal definition. Any change to reclassify loot boxes to fall under the gambling umbrella will require legislation, which will open that up to the national political process and all that entails - debates, lobbyists, all the other rigamarole that comes along drawn-out political process, etc. etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #62
Rookie

This very topic is gaining steam in several countries now.....including the US. It appears EA may have cut their own throat this time with what can only be called outright greed.
I hope so! The whole lootbox idea is only a giant cash grab and adds nothing to the games that use it. It needs to go away....I know, I know CM...you disagree and will find a way to justify it, we'll just agree to disagree.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #63
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Australia- https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/vi...tute-gambling/

France(French Senator)- http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/...ut-loot-boxes/

It is looking like more people and more people are viewing this system as gambling.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #64
Rookie

Quote:
Australia- https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/vi...tute-gambling/

France(French Senator)- http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/...ut-loot-boxes/

It is looking like more people and more people are viewing this system as gambling.
Yes, so at LEAST this will put more eyes paying attention to this travesty. Developers will have to think before deciding if they want to risk all the negative publicity and lost sales due to their greedy practices.
I think EA tested wether fans were willing to go this route with loot crates, and judged incorrectly in thinking "awwww, they'll buy whatever we want to sell". They've (and others) misjudged where the line was, and let their greed get in the way of just focusing on making games that are so great that they'll sell by the millions.
I think many people can agree many developers have gotten lazy, stopped innovating, and used dlc to make up for lost sales revenue. Putting out poorly made, glitchy, half-baked games...keeping their costs down by cutting Dev resources (thereby lowering the quality/quantity of games and innovations) while increasing profits.
I think EA is definitely the most guilty of this, which explains WHY they put out Madden in such bad shape, and very minor upgrades over Madden 17. They felt "WTF, we'll make it up in MUT microtransactions".
Now they'll be under a microscope...and held to a higher standard. MAY be a good thing for gamers!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »