Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #65
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

I agree with the Senator from France, no legislation is necessary, just protection from the public.

Reading between the lines is put pay to win in a mature audience capacity and I think this is where it's headed.

EA and Disney became too greedy, but this isn't an EA only situation, the whole gaming industry is guilty.

I really don't care how people spend their money above the age of 21, especially people I don't know. Heck, this is just like alcohol, folks, you can have older friends, relatives, sisters/brothers or even mom/dad(not alcohol, though) buy the game for you.

If they slap a Mature rating on pay to win games, would everyone be satisfied with that and then "business as usual?

Last edited by roadman; 11-24-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #66
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with the Senator from France, no legislation is necessary, just protection from the public.

Reading between the lines is put pay to win in a mature audience capacity and I think this is where it's headed.

EA and Disney became too greedy, but this isn't an EA only situation, the whole gaming industry is guilty.

I really don't care how people spend their money above the age of 21, especially people I don't know. Heck, this is just like alcohol, folks, you can have older friends, relatives, sisters/brothers or even mom/dad(not alcohol, though) buy the game for you.

If they slap a Mature rating on pay to win games, would everyone be satisfied with that and then "business as usual?
Mature rating would mean 17+....
Gambling in the US is 21+. SO I don't know what that rating would be.

But the question is, would the NFL want to be tied to a game that only 21+ year olds can play? Especially with their big push towards kids and NFL Play 60 etc etc...
Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Mature rating would mean 17+....
Gambling in the US is 21+. SO I don't know what that rating would be.

But the question is, would the NFL want to be tied to a game that only 21+ year olds can play? Especially with their big push towards kids and NFL Play 60 etc etc...
God no, which is the reason any of this would ever end up actually mattering. But I kind of doubt systems like MUT are going to get caught up in all of this.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #68
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
God no, which is the reason any of this would ever end up actually mattering. But I kind of doubt systems like MUT are going to get caught up in all of this.
I can almost promise you MUT will get caught up in this. Especially since it is tied to the company that lit the fuse to this keg of gunpowder (EA).

Star Wars is what grabbed the attention of everyone since it is arguably the highest profile game of the year, and the light that was shed on it through reddit.

As stated before, this is going to affect more than just Battlefront. This is could potentially change the gaming industry entirely.

This has gained way too much attention to "just blow over", and the only people who are going to fight the microtransactions are the people whose wallets are about to get lighter.

This has already lead to Battlefront removing in game purchases, and I can promises you that we have not seen the end of this.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #69
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
There was a group of people trying to organize a boycott of FUT transactions for Black Friday. No idea how that turned out, but Ultimate Team modes aren't going to be immune from this public pressure. They will probably see less public pressure though, as sports games generally don't get as much attention from the mainstream gaming media and audience. So in essence I think you're half-right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
This has already lead to Battlefront removing in game purchases, and I can promises you that we have not seen the end of this.
Worth noting that the removal was very clearly announced as temporary move, and I would hazard to guess that in-game purchase will get turned back on in time for The Last Jedi hitting theaters.

Agreed that this discussion isn't going to just fade away, industry-wide.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #70
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't think that will happen. The industry will push incredibly hard back against that, especially the publishers of major sports games with E ratings (EA, 2K, Konami), and I believe the industry has some level of control over the ESRB anyway.

I also don't think that's a satisfactory outcome. Kids end up buying M-rated games all the game. An M rating didn't stop Grand Theft Auto V from selling like hot cakes and it doesn't stop Call Of Duty from breaking sales records every year. I'd prefer to see a warning label from the ESRB in the game's description text, some sort of in-app purchase opt-in function (as opposed to opt-out), and disclosure of loot box item drop rates.

I also don't want to see legislation around loot boxes. The ESRB was created as a response to public and political pressure about violence in video games following the releases of Mortal Kombat and DOOM in the early 1990s. If Jack Thompson got his way, those games and many others like them which followed would have been legally banned from existing and being sold. A ban is a not good solution for loot boxes either.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #71
Rookie

tshokunbi's Arena

OVR: 4

How about adding an in-game microtransaction history page, or an option to add the total real money spent to the UI?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #72
MVP

"some sort of in-app purchase opt-in function (as opposed to opt-out), and disclosure of loot box item drop rates."

I really like this. If not opted into there should be no option to make purchases nor any advertisements in game to do so. Maybe, even that option within game system settings under parental controls for younger children.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »