Home

Do you want Longshot to return?

This is a discussion on Do you want Longshot to return? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Longshot Return
Yes 17 15.04%
No 76 67.26%
No opinion/don't care 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #25
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Do you want Longshot to return?

Longshot just did not do it for me....mediocre/trite story, shallow/cliche characters, horrible game mechanics (aside from the more typical madden gameplay), mediocre graphics. I couldn't finish it, there was just no emotional resonance to the story for me; I just flat out didn't care about what happened to Devin (I just kept thinking of him as a whiny quitter and Colt as an annoying wannabe).

I probably fell in that group of people that made it through the first couple of acts...but it was almost more of a, "waiting for this to get better" attitude more than anything. I finally got to a point where I realized that it just wasn't.

Do I want more....uh, no....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 1

Actually I do hope it returns and that it's just a whole 4 years of highschool games with the same commentators and no off field anything.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #27
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Do you want Longshot to return?

Devin Wade was just an unlikeable character for me. Every time adversity came, he tried to run away from it (granted, my dad hasn’t died yet, so I don’t know how I’d react).

But yeah, every great football player has had to overcome adversity at some point. Jerry Rice with poverty, Steve Smith and his height, etc. The way Devin crumbled under pressure already told me he wasn’t going to the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I haven't touched longshot, but as long as it doesn't take away from franchise mode being improved, I don't care if it's there or if they get rid of it.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #29
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Is that really a ‘positive’ number for the mode? Half the player base completed 2 of 3 acts? U can also read this as ‘half the player base chose NOT to finish it’. That makes it a bust, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isherdish
Another way of saying it is over half the player base didn't finish the mode. Considering story mode is supposed to hook you with its narrative and wasn't difficult to complete, I am not sure how much of a success that is. Having said that, I assume it will be back for another year.
Those numbers are pretty much in line with how many people complete single-player games in other genres, actually. An Activision executive estimated to CNN in 2015 that 90% of gamers don't finish games, the now-defunct game tracking website Raptr reported that only 10% of players completed the final main story mission Red Dead Redemption, and a GDC talk by two industry veterans detailed low game completion percentages across many great games. The Guardian also reported very low game completion numbers.

If half of all players who touched the mode got through the first two acts, Tiburon actually did pretty well, and they are about on-par with how the rest of the industry is doing with respect to how well they engage players in story-driven single player modes.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #30
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Those numbers are pretty much in line with how many people complete single-player games in other genres, actually. An Activision executive estimated to CNN in 2015 that 90% of gamers don't finish games, the now-defunct game tracking website Raptr reported that only 10% of players completed the final main story mission Red Dead Redemption, and a GDC talk by two industry veterans detailed low game completion percentages across many great games. The Guardian also reported very low game completion numbers.

If half of all players who touched the mode got through the first two acts, Tiburon actually did pretty well, and they are about on-par with how the rest of the industry is doing with respect to how well they engage players in story-driven single player modes.
Like we saw in Longshot, with MUT player cards being rewarded, more and more game producers are adding rewards for finishing single player campaigns. Call of Duty released its WW2 shooter recently, for example, and each player who completes the campaign gets a helmet which their multiplayer can wear.

If Longshot continues, as apparently it will in M19, I wonder if more rewards will be added to get people to finish the mode, and will they include Franchise rewards?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

But you're comparing these numbers to long rpg games. Longshot can be finished in under 4 hours..so these numbers mean most people only played for 2. I wouldn't call that a positive, especially since they spent FOUR YEARS developing this short story.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #32
Rookie

cuoreceltico's Arena

Never played, really hope no!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »