Home

Do you want Longshot to return?

This is a discussion on Do you want Longshot to return? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Longshot Return
Yes 17 15.04%
No 76 67.26%
No opinion/don't care 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #41
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Do you want Longshot to return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Yeah I don't get the comparison being made. So it takes 4 hours to complete this Longshot mode, most people completed 66% of the mode equating out to an approx investment of time in the neighborhood of 2.5 hours. Meanwhile it's being compared to games that take MUCH longer then that to complete and somehow those numbers are equal?

I still haven't touched Longshot myself and think it was a gigantic waste of time, resources and energy but that's just me. Comparing the usage rates for this mini movie to full length AAA titles though doesn't really prove anything in the end other then people apparently didn't feel compelled to finish a mode that they had already invested very little time into as it was.
The point is gamers don't finish single-player modes, regardless of length. Portal was one of the games listed in one of the links I posted and a very large chunk of that game's player base didn't finish it. That game was wildly popular and can be completed in a little under two hours if you know what you are doing. The average new player who does finish it does so in four hours. It's not a big game, and yet people aren't completing it.

The criticism that many of the games I typed up in my above posts are longer single-player experiences than Longshot is valid, sure, but my point extends beyond long games. Players don't finish short games either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #42

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The point is gamers don't finish single-player modes, regardless of length. Portal was one of the games listed in one of the links I posted and a very large chunk of that game's player base didn't finish it. That game was wildly popular and can be completed in a little under two hours if you know what you are doing. The average new player who does finish it does so in four hours. It's not a big game, and yet people aren't completing it.

The criticism that many of the games I typed up in my above posts are longer single-player experiences than Longshot is valid, sure, but my point extends beyond long games. Players don't finish short games either.
Thing is a majority didn't finish it this year, which was the first year it existed so there was plenty of reason for people to try it. Those same people that tried it and didn't finish it may not even touch the mode at all next year now that they know what to expect. IMO seeing so few actually complete all 3 acts in a mode that didn't exist prior to this year would be a little concerning at the very least.

In the end if the mode was compelling enough to be finished then more would have. This doesn't even take into account the whole giving away MUT items for completing the mode that someone else mentioned I believe. If they were giving away MUT items to entice people to complete the mode then the 33% that did finish it is heavily skewed as the mode itself didn't generate those figures on their own merits and instead relied on the addictive nature of MUT and those that play it to artificially boost the overall numbers and paint an inaccurate picture.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm sure that it will return for next year at least. However for me it doesn't belong in this game. If they want to make an rpg, then go make an rpg. The longshot mode itself is not needed or really all the wanted. If it were an extension of another mode, or implemented into cfm then yes it has a place. For me I would look at making it part of the coaching mode. Work up from high school and make it to the pros. Have your story then integrate it right into the head coach of a cfm team.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #44

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

You're trying to compare games that are made and bought for one reason, a story mode. That doesn't work or make sense.

This continues to remain a weird decision by EA. You can be sim/not sim, mut/not mut, online/offline. Those debates will go on forever but story mode is not a mode anyone went out and bought Madden for.

If they are pointing out that people finished 2/3 parts of a story mode, this was a failure. Madden is not a story mode game. People buy it to play some form a football in whatever way they want.

It's easy to assume that if this feature had actually gone well with the audience EA would have proudly posted number of the percentage of people who actually completed the story mode which has no bearing on any other part of the game.

It was a waste of four years to develop. Whether or not it returns doesn't matter to me. I don't know if it actually took away time from the modes I personally care about and that's largely irrelevant. If he keeps wanting to spend money producing something that literally has zero implications on sales numbers that's on them.

Anyone out there that bought the game simply because of a four hour storymode, raise your hand.

Most people buy story based games for the story. People buy Madden to play football.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #45
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I enjoyed it, keep 'em coming. I don't know why people always act like one mode necessarily impacts another's development. The same people responsible for Longshot like won't have anything to do with CFM, etc.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

It's not for me, but it's in now, and they will obviously create more content for it, I just hope that it(along with NBA Live of course) doesn't impact CFM as much as it did this year.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #47
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

No.

I didn't mind it, but I don't care too much to see the story progress. It would have been a great idea for a Player CFM intro, something that would change each year, new guess stars, new challenges. But as a story mode with a very linear narrative that is only updated yearly? No thanks. Plus the cut scene animations were far from polished and really reflect the lack of polish/attention to detail in Madden games in general.

Rather play a Telltale football game then EA's attempt, graphics aren't as good but at least you get story updates more frequently.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
The issue with Longshot has less to do with Longshot itself, as it has to do with the resources they took from CFM.
That is the most selfish and pathetic way to view Longshot. It doesn't matter if other people enjoy it, your special agenda requires that you attack it.

Personally, I found Longshot to be pretty horrible. I din't finish it, and I doubt I ever crack it open again. It felt like they didn't understand what made Telltale games popular, and how to integrate actual Madden gameplay into the story.

I don't mind if they bring it back, but I'm certainly not craving it. If they do, I hope they leaned a lot of lessons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »