Home

Do you want Longshot to return?

This is a discussion on Do you want Longshot to return? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Longshot Return
Yes 17 15.04%
No 76 67.26%
No opinion/don't care 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you want Longshot to return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
That is the most selfish and pathetic way to view Longshot. It doesn't matter if other people enjoy it, your special agenda requires that you attack it.

Personally, I found Longshot to be pretty horrible. I din't finish it, and I doubt I ever crack it open again. It felt like they didn't understand what made Telltale games popular, and how to integrate actual Madden gameplay into the story.

I don't mind if they bring it back, but I'm certainly not craving it. If they do, I hope they leaned a lot of lessons.
Then explain to me why 2/3rds of the people answered that they don't want it back as opposed to"they don't care".

With how little EA spends on development, you either have to choose between modes. So you can't fault anyone for wanting resources to go towards other areas as opposed a mode that only 1/6th of the community wants to return.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #50
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
Then explain to me why 2/3rds of the people answered that they don't want it back as opposed to"they don't care".

With how little EA spends on development, you either have to choose between modes. So you can't fault anyone for wanting resources to go towards other areas as opposed a mode that only 1/6th of the community wants to return.
What type of resources are you referring to, time or money? There is one person working for it at that is time. The only thing left is money and they already laid the foundation for that over the past four years.. Let's not forget there is a separat e Long shot team,(one person), MUT team, gameplay team, art team. CFM team etc....... I think that seems to be overlooked.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't play around with MUT or Long shot, but for those that do, I don't want to rip it away from them , either.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #51
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
What type of resources are you referring to, time or money? There is one person working for it at that is time. The only thing left is money and they already laid the foundation for that over the past four years.. Let's not forget there is a separat e Long shot team,(one person), MUT team, gameplay team, art team. CFM team etc....... I think that seems to be overlooked.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't play around with MUT or Long shot, but for those that do, I don't want to rip it away from them , either.
Money

With money you can buy man-power. But we have not seen that.

EA makes over a Billion dollars a year just on in game purchases.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/...-extra-content

Where does that money go into? Nobody really knows.

When EA comes out and with little done to CFM, they state:

1. We had to pull people from CFM for Longshot. If Longshot was not a thing, or EA took it serious enough to hire new people specifically for this mode, CFM would not be in its' current state

2. They pulled John White from CFM to work on NBA Live as opposed to hiring people dedicated to NBA Live.

With the extra $1.3 billion off of in game purchases, you think EA could hire more people to work on these projects, but they don't.

They have made it clear that they are going to take short-cuts to save money, and with those short cuts, it appears that each game mode has to share turns every other Madden to get updates.
This year they chose Longshot (apparently next year it is supposed to be CFM).

So until we see more resources (money and personnel), we are only going to see a few additions here and there to certain game modes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #52
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You're trying to compare games that are made and bought for one reason, a story mode. That doesn't work or make sense.
Let's keep moving the goal posts then.

Per TrueAchievements.com, only 20% of total players have earned the "The End" achievement on Minecraft: XBOX One Edition. This is the achievement earned after defeating the Ender Dragon, ostensibly the game's final boss. That is what would count as completing that game, a game which isn't story driven whatsoever. Only 9% of the open-ended no-narrative sandbox game Cities: Skylines players on XBOX One have unlocked the "SIMulated City" achievement, earned when the player unlocks nine map tiles and reaches that open-ended game's "late game" state.

A better frame of reference: single-player sports game modes don't do well speaking to "completion" in the general case, either. 12% of players have completed the "Man Of The People" achievement in NBA 2K17, earned when one reaches 5,000,000 fans. 2% of players earned the "How Much Ya Got?" achievement, earned upon signing a max deal in MyCareer. Only 34% of players have earned the "Show me the money!" trophy in MLB The Show 17, unlocked when a player signs his first MLB contract in Road To The Show mode.

Most tellingly, speaking to other sports games with focused story modes, let's look at FIFA: only 32% of players achieved "The best is yet to come" in FIFA 17, unlocked when completing the story of The Journey. 16% of FIFA 18 players have earned "What a comeback", unlocked when completing The Journey's story in that game. A less relevant data point, but another sports game with a story: only 16% of players unlocked "The End" in Blitz: The League, earned when completing that game's campaign.

In comparison to all of the above, 44% of players have earned the "Complete Act 3" achievement in Madden 18, unlocked when the Longshot story is completed. By that measure, Madden is doing incredibly well for a single-player game. People who play Longshot engage with it, as EA has publicly boasted, and more importantly finish it, as proven by the number of people earning this achievement. For the record, I fully anticipate that this number goes down next year in M19 when Longshot is less of a novelty, but for now it's doing very well.

Sure, there's validity to the point that a story mode isn't exactly expected in a sports game and that would decrease the completion rate. That's obvious based on FIFA / NBA 2K / MLB's numbers. However, there are countless examples of people not finishing story modes in single-player games, whether narrative driven or not, enough that it's an industry-wide trend and plenty of people in the industry talk about how to increase that number because it's stupid low. There's also the fact that Longshot in M18 is doing alright in the first place.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #53
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Do you want Longshot to return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The point is gamers don't finish single-player modes, regardless of length. Portal was one of the games listed in one of the links I posted and a very large chunk of that game's player base didn't finish it. That game was wildly popular and can be completed in a little under two hours if you know what you are doing. The average new player who does finish it does so in four hours. It's not a big game, and yet people aren't completing it.

The criticism that many of the games I typed up in my above posts are longer single-player experiences than Longshot is valid, sure, but my point extends beyond long games. Players don't finish short games either.

Highly disagree with the initial paragraph, mainly because I’ve completed Red Dead Redemption 3x, all of the GTAs, the Mass Effect series, Skyrim (whew, I had about 100+ hours over two years), Sleeping Dogs...the list goes on. And I believe each one offers at least 5-8 hours of content minimum. My point is this: it doesn’t matter about the game length. A good story keeps the player hooked and makes the 5 hours seem like 5 minutes. I just felt that Longshot had a lackluster story and dragged on and on longer than it needed to.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #54
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Highly disagree with the initial paragraph, mainly because I’ve completed Red Dead Redemption 3x, all of the GTAs, the Mass Effect series, Skyrim (whew, I had about 100+ hours over two years), Sleeping Dogs...the list goes on. And I believe each one offers at least 5-8 hours of content minimum. My point is this: it doesn’t matter about the game length. A good story keeps the player hooked and makes the 5 hours seem like 5 minutes. I just felt that Longshot had a lackluster story and dragged on and on longer than it needed to.
To add to this:
Star Wars Battlefront II only took me 6 hours, but it was a great story, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Would I like it to be longer? Absolutely.

But I was happy with the Story and it left me wanting more.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #55
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
To add to this:

Star Wars Battlefront II only took me 6 hours, but it was a great story, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Would I like it to be longer? Absolutely.

But I was happy with the Story and it left me wanting more.

For $14.99, you can purchase an extra 30 minutes of the Campaign with two blasters for MP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #56

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Let's keep moving the goal posts then.

Per TrueAchievements.com, only 20% of total players have earned the "The End" achievement on Minecraft: XBOX One Edition. This is the achievement earned after defeating the Ender Dragon, ostensibly the game's final boss. That is what would count as completing that game, a game which isn't story driven whatsoever. Only 9% of the open-ended no-narrative sandbox game Cities: Skylines players on XBOX One have unlocked the "SIMulated City" achievement, earned when the player unlocks nine map tiles and reaches that open-ended game's "late game" state.

A better frame of reference: single-player sports game modes don't do well speaking to "completion" in the general case, either. 12% of players have completed the "Man Of The People" achievement in NBA 2K17, earned when one reaches 5,000,000 fans. 2% of players earned the "How Much Ya Got?" achievement, earned upon signing a max deal in MyCareer. Only 34% of players have earned the "Show me the money!" trophy in MLB The Show 17, unlocked when a player signs his first MLB contract in Road To The Show mode.

Most tellingly, speaking to other sports games with focused story modes, let's look at FIFA: only 32% of players achieved "The best is yet to come" in FIFA 17, unlocked when completing the story of The Journey. 16% of FIFA 18 players have earned "What a comeback", unlocked when completing The Journey's story in that game. A less relevant data point, but another sports game with a story: only 16% of players unlocked "The End" in Blitz: The League, earned when completing that game's campaign.

In comparison to all of the above, 44% of players have earned the "Complete Act 3" achievement in Madden 18, unlocked when the Longshot story is completed. By that measure, Madden is doing incredibly well for a single-player game. People who play Longshot engage with it, as EA has publicly boasted, and more importantly finish it, as proven by the number of people earning this achievement. For the record, I fully anticipate that this number goes down next year in M19 when Longshot is less of a novelty, but for now it's doing very well.

Sure, there's validity to the point that a story mode isn't exactly expected in a sports game and that would decrease the completion rate. That's obvious based on FIFA / NBA 2K / MLB's numbers. However, there are countless examples of people not finishing story modes in single-player games, whether narrative driven or not, enough that it's an industry-wide trend and plenty of people in the industry talk about how to increase that number because it's stupid low. There's also the fact that Longshot in M18 is doing alright in the first place.
"Move the goal posts?" Call it what you want. It's an unnecessary mode. I admitted they can do what they want but it's a waste whether or not it takes away resources from other areas.

No one bought the game because of a story mode but the counter to my argument is no one didn't by it because the mode was there. It's nothing but adding a mode to add a mode.

The numbers you shared with comparable games are pretty telling of how many people care about the mode at all.

I'm just saying that if I were EA, and I had dedicated four years of production to this mode, I would rather be bragging about the number of people who completed it rather than the number of people who started it and didn't finish.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »