Home

Redesigning QB Play - Fan Concept

This is a discussion on Redesigning QB Play - Fan Concept within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Redesigning QB Play - Fan Concept

Hello OS community. I've been lurking and using the wonderful ideas shared here for over a decade. I've had this idea for sometime, but have finally decided to flesh it out and present it to the community.

The idea is to redesign QB play with several goals in mind:
- give players more control of the QB
- create another way for competitive players to prove their skills.
- imitate the difficulties of playing NFL QB
- differentiate between QBs
- allow less skilled players to use the current system in place without penalty

Pre-Snap

- ID the Mike is an amazing tool for identifying blitzes, but it's really a misnomer. IDing the Mike is rarely about blitz pickup. I'd like to see a better tool for blocking assignments and blitz pickups.

- This is also where you'll need to establish you're first read, maybe a second, and potentially a checkdown/blitz beater.

Navigating the Pocket

This is an area of Madden that really is beginning to stick out as line play and pocket formation improve. QBs are constantly stumbling around and often look stuck in mud. As an Eagles fan, the elusiveness Wentz shows week in and week out is nonexistent in this game.

The concept here is to borrow from other sports games, using modifiers to change the types of animations that play out, giving you a sense of control, much like a PG in 2K.

- If nothing is pressed, QB will automatically drop back (as is already the case).

- The left stick will give you pocket control. The QBs lead shoulder will face the LOS. This gives you the chance to drop back, step up, fade back, or side step whenever you choose.

- The R2/RT button would give your QB all the control of a normal runner. You're eyes would still be downfield, but the movement speed would be increased and accuracy would be decreased.

- The L2/LT button would need to be reassigned as a scramble modifier, opening a new set of QB specific moves that allow evasion in the pocket (duck, juke, dip, spin, etc.)

- Ideally, the effectiveness of all this would be effected by a pocket presence rating on simulation.

Going Through Progressions

The vision cone obviously didn't work, and I wasn't a fan myself. The main issue was the sensitivity. It was difficult to put the cone exactly where you wanted it as you were avoiding a rush and reading a defense.

- The right stick would be used to quickly cycle through recievers, representing the head and eyes. This allows you to make reads and also use your eyes to manipulate a defense. Ideally, the speed of this would depend on a a "Read the Defense" rating on Simulation.

- You'd start on the first read (assigned pre snap) then flick the right stick in whichever direction your intended receiver is.

- Double tap will take you to the outermost reciever

- Button layouts would remain the same. Passing to your current read will offer zero accuracy penalty. The further you are from your current read, the more of an accuracy penalty you'll see. This would also be ratings based.

- You'll also have a checkdown you can throw to with no read-based penalty.

- Pump fakes would be based on the current read

- Most importantly, you'll have the option to turn this off if it's too complex, just like the new juke system.

Miscellaneous

- New animations that allow contextual throws when being hit or going down.

- Everything else remains the same (pressure modifiers, on the move modifiers, etc)

- A set of tendencylies, new ratings, and "badges" would go a long way in differentiating QBs (and players in general). The traits are a bit stale and are often buggy.

Conclusion

Honestly, as an enormous football geek, I've conjured up more complex, true to life concepts, but this one would overlap perfectly with the system and controls in place. All you would need is a few extra ratings and to abandon the underwhelming total control passing.

This system would change competitive play, offering a level of control that appeals to high end gamers, while also creating a more realistic environment for simulation players.

I may change or add to this, but wanted to get it out there! Ideally, this concept goes hand in hand with a more submersive franchise and more complex gameplanning, but other posters have already done a phenomenal job covering those ideas.

Lmk what you think!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by kennypowers88; 03-27-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
F17
Rookie

Re: Madden 19 - Redesigning QB Play

Nice post. Was having this exact discussion earlier about the same things. For me I’d love to see some tendencies. Not the traits like tight spiral and sense pressure. But more so In how a qb approaches. Like if they try and throw out of a sack or eat it. If they try and traverse the pocket or roll out into space. If AI will change play at the line. If he is an aggressive downfield thrower and reads a deep pass first and his willingness to check down.
Also the types of throws he can make. I pretended to play quarterback for a while and there were throws I excelled at and throws I was woefully inconsistent with. I threw further and more accurately one side than my other. My release was like Byron leftwich. That’s all things that would be amazing if they were replicated in game imo. Extra layers of realism and strategy. If a pass comes out slower to the right. BRing pressure from his left. Force his eyes that side. Things like that
Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks! I completely agree regarding tendencies. The traits system just isn't nuanced enough to capture how these guys really play. I'd really love in depth, opponent specific gameplanning some day.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
F17
Rookie

Also love the idea of a progression accuracy penalty. If I’m staring down a 10 yard out on the right hand side. I’m not gonna be able to throw a dart at a 15 yard comeback on the left sideline. Your tom brady you’d expect to be able to snap through reads easily. Whereas a rookie coming into the league wouldn’t have that speed until perhaps year 2/3
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
MVP

it would be nice to designate your 1st read and checkdown pre snap. Their icons would pop up immediately. The other players icons would pop up at a speed determined by the qb awareness. QB awareness should be much harder to upgrade as that controls all the unknown about a drafted QB. Most wash out of the nfl due to never having or developing the things awareness controls in this game. Unfortunately, it is the cheapest thing to improve guaranteeing any QB with physical tools can be made into a hall of famer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F17
Also love the idea of a progression accuracy penalty. If I’m staring down a 10 yard out on the right hand side. I’m not gonna be able to throw a dart at a 15 yard comeback on the left sideline. Your tom brady you’d expect to be able to snap through reads easily. Whereas a rookie coming into the league wouldn’t have that speed until perhaps year 2/3
Thanks, that's exactly the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
it would be nice to designate your 1st read and checkdown pre snap. Their icons would pop up immediately. The other players icons would pop up at a speed determined by the qb awareness. QB awareness should be much harder to upgrade as that controls all the unknown about a drafted QB. Most wash out of the nfl due to never having or developing the things awareness controls in this game. Unfortunately, it is the cheapest thing to improve guaranteeing any QB with physical tools can be made into a hall of famer.
I appreciate the input. I'd actually thought of a timing based system, but that would create issues if your "next read" weren't available to throw to. I figure the penalty based system still captures the idea that you can "decide" to throw to a receiver on the opposite side of the field as you see fit. It just won't be as easy for less experienced or savvy QBs.

In the true spirit of QB play, I don't want to hinder improvisation. No QB goes through his reads "as planned" play in and play out.

I'd really like to see at least 1 new QB rating that captures the mental aspect of the game. Even defenders have play recognition.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

This is very similar to what I'd like to see. And what's more, they could trigger the QB's shoulder angle to match the read, like in real life (and like what they do with the current mechanic, except they use the left stick instead of the right).
Old 03-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Rookie

Since its the down time of the year, figured I'd shamelessly bump this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »