Home

What would prevent you from buying Madden 19?

This is a discussion on What would prevent you from buying Madden 19? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What would prevent you from buying Madden 19?

Something to consider:

VentureBeat: November 2017 NPD

Quote:
Overall
1. Call of Duty: WWII
2. Star Wars: Battlefront II
3. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
4. NBA 2K18
5. Madden NFL 18
6. Super Mario Odyssey*
7. FIFA 18
8. Need for Speed: Payback
9. Destiny 2**
10. Pokémon: Ultra Sun*
11. Pokémon: Ultra Moon*
12. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
13. Grand Theft Auto V
14. The Sims 4
15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
16. Mario Kart 8*
17. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus*
18. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
19. WWE 2K18
20. Just Dance 2018
* No digital sales
** No Battle.net sales

The best-selling games of 2017 so far
2. Destiny 2**
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
5. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
7. Grand Theft Auto V
8. For Honor
9. Injustice 2
10. Horizon Zero Dawn

The best-selling games over the last 12 months
2. Destiny 2**
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
5. Grand Theft Auto V
6. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
7. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
9. NBA 2K17
10. Final Fantasy XV
You are asking them to alter the direction of the franchise when it is selling phenomenally well. It doesn't matter if you think they deserve the sales. EA is in business to make money, not make sure a bunch of old farts on a sports forum can have the simulation game of their dreams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Something to consider:

You are asking them to alter the direction of the franchise when it is selling phenomenally well. It doesn't matter if you think they deserve the sales. EA is in business to make money, not make sure a bunch of old farts on a sports forum can have the simulation game of their dreams.
I take the larger point, but I love that a game that cares more about its franchise mode, its customization, and its realism is beating Madden in sports-games sales.

I'd hope there's enough pride on the development team to want to go outperform NBA 2K by producing a similarly robust title. I don't think that's likely, but one can hope.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I take the larger point, but I love that a game that cares more about its franchise mode, its customization, and its realism is beating Madden in sports-games sales.

I'd hope there's enough pride on the development team to want to go outperform NBA 2K by producing a similarly robust title. I don't think that's likely, but one can hope.
But what if the people that actually play that game think that the franchise mode is lacking, but play it for the MyCareer and Playground modes? And 2K is battling its own issues with VC and pay to win.

Just take one look at the 2K forum and try to convince me that franchise has anything to do with the success of that game. Over and over you see people claiming other games have it better, but reading their forums does not support the claims.

And there are as many complaints about unrealistic play in 2K as we see here in the Madden threads.

The disconnect is between people that expect console sports games to be sims versus the vast majority of people that just want them to be fun. 2K basketball works because 3 vs 3 and 5 vs 5 basketball online is fantastic.

Maybe Madden needs a 7 on 7.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #44
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

I am not much of a basketball fan, so I cannot comment on the on court play. Assuming the franchise mode in NB2K18 has not seriously degraded from NB2K16 (which is the only edition of the game I have ever tried), yes the NBA2K franchise mode is much better (and, in fact, the ONLY reason I even bothered to give NBA2K a try).

If the 2K folks could make a football, or probably even a baseball game, with the same level of franchise detail, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Conversely, if Madden ever dumps its offline Franchise mode, I will be done with Madden.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
But what if the people that actually play that game think that the franchise mode is lacking, but play it for the MyCareer and Playground modes? And 2K is battling its own issues with VC and pay to win.

Just take one look at the 2K forum and try to convince me that franchise has anything to do with the success of that game. Over and over you see people claiming other games have it better, but reading their forums does not support the claims.

And there are as many complaints about unrealistic play in 2K as we see here in the Madden threads.

The disconnect is between people that expect console sports games to be sims versus the vast majority of people that just want them to be fun. 2K basketball works because 3 vs 3 and 5 vs 5 basketball online is fantastic.

Maybe Madden needs a 7 on 7.
Word. I'm grasping at straws wanting things to be different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man

This is especially awesome because the NBA's annual revenue from 30 teams still pales in comparison to the NFL's 32.

Not only is Basketball less consumed by the general public, their game sells better than the NFL's.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #47
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Something to consider:

Your absolutely right. I don’t expect much of a change that addresses the way I like to play. I just won’t buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #48
MVP

Toupal's Arena

The fact that an NBA game with competition (NBA Live) can outsell only football/ NFL game on the market is perplexing.

You think EA would look at that and have i think "Why?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »