Home

Defensive Holding, PI or N/A?

This is a discussion on Defensive Holding, PI or N/A? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Defensive Holding, PI or N/A?

Iíve got a question out there for you all.

Say a receiver in the game is running an in route across the middle third of the game. The route is ten yards deep, but halfway across the field, he is grabbed and shoved egregiously by a roaming LB or safety. Is that defensive holding, PI, or a no-call? Sick of seeing routes being interrupted and having no call, unless my football IQ isnít what I thought it was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Re: Defensive Holding, PI or N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Iíve got a question out there for you all.

Say a receiver in the game is running an in route across the middle third of the game. The route is ten yards deep, but halfway across the field, he is grabbed and shoved egregiously by a roaming LB or safety. Is that defensive holding, PI, or a no-call? Sick of seeing routes being interrupted and having no call, unless my football IQ isnít what I thought it was.
The distinction is whether the contact is before or after the ball is thrown. If it's before it's defensive holding, 5 yards and an automatic 1st down. If it's while the ball is in the air toward the receiver it's pass interference, 15 yards and an automatic 1st or a spot foul whichever is yields more yards.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
The distinction is whether the contact is before or after the ball is thrown. If it's before it's defensive holding, 5 yards and an automatic 1st down. If it's while the ball is in the air toward the receiver it's pass interference, 15 yards and an automatic 1st or a spot foul whichever is yields more yards.

Itís before the pass is in the air but the animation prolongs into the ball being thrown. Either way, it doesnít get called.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:16 AM   #4
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Defensive holding was taken out of the game and I've only ever seen pass interference from the canned animations. It's quite unfortunate but it is what we have to deal with currently.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #5
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Pretty sure the 15 yard thing is college only.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

That description says it is only a spot foul, except when in the end zone, in which the ball is placed at the one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Defensive holding was taken out of the game and I've only ever seen pass interference from the canned animations. It's quite unfortunate but it is what we have to deal with currently.
Correct. If you turn the DPI slider up to 60-65 you will see DPI called at a semi-realistic rate. DH is not called at all, unfortunately (even though the AI will still commit the holding animation), as the penalty was removed due to complaints about it being call realistically by the "competitive" players.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
Rookie

Big Bankhead's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
Correct. If you turn the DPI slider up to 60-65 you will see DPI called at a semi-realistic rate. DH is not called at all, unfortunately (even though the AI will still commit the holding animation), as the penalty was removed due to complaints about it being call realistically by the "competitive" players.
What I will never understand is why remove it from the simulation game mode? It doesnít make sense to me. Whatís the purpose of having three distinct modes if those ďcompetitiveĒ guys dictate how the game plays, smh.
"If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good." - Deion Sanders #21

Cowboys!
Ravens!

Lakers!
Rockets!
Yankees!
Astros!

PSN: Spartan387
XBGT: KobraTheKing
Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bankhead
What I will never understand is why remove it from the simulation game mode? It doesnít make sense to me. Whatís the purpose of having three distinct modes if those ďcompetitiveĒ guys dictate how the game plays, smh.
I think there are still MANY MANY things tied to every mode...to the point where the different modes really vary a small amount. Almost bull**** to call them modes in many ways.
It's more of a way to appease the 3 different types of players to keep everyone buying. But it certainly is not sim in sim mode. We knew this going in though, since sim mode was set up to play 6 or 9 minute quarters, (I don't remember which) which is the opposite of sim right off the bat. Lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »