Home

Poll question: Should defensive holding be in the game?

This is a discussion on Poll question: Should defensive holding be in the game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Should defensive holding be in the game?
Yes. 67 97.10%
No. 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Poll question: Should defensive holding be in the game?

Yep, I agree it shouldn't have been taken out, I did read a tweet from a month ago in the tweet thread that Clint feels DH will return.

It should be in the game when it's called between 2 to 13 times per season per team and taking the average at 6.5 times per season, DH is called less than .5 per team per game.

Last edited by roadman; 12-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Thats cool but shouldn't the sliders and the mode determine how many DH calls should be made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Things like this just show that the differentiation between game styles was mostly marketing BS. No reason to tune Holding completely out of simulation.
If I recall correctly, Clint has addressed this on Twitter as well and said that the current issues are:

1 - defensive holding more-or-less fell out of the game due to extensive changes in how WRs and DBs interacted this year, along with adding the new WR - DB user controls, and that building defensive holding back into that new system wasn't priority due to widespread player complaints

2 - the current game styles settings don't support locking / unlocking specific animations and behaviors, only changing tuning values with existing behaviors which are always on

It's not "marketing BS". There are actual technical and project management reasons why things do and don't happen. The sooner we all understand that and show some patience and appreciation for how open Madden is with their development process - especially relative to other AAA video games - the happier we will all be.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Should be in the game as well as PI in all modes (on users and CPU) - personell has to matter. Just b/c your LB has great speed doenst mean he has ball skills or downfield coverage skills. Gotta make personnel decisions matter.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #20
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
If I recall correctly, Clint has addressed this on Twitter as well and said that the current issues are:

1 - defensive holding more-or-less fell out of the game due to extensive changes in how WRs and DBs interacted this year, along with adding the new WR - DB user controls, and that building defensive holding back into that new system wasn't priority due to widespread player complaints

2 - the current game styles settings don't support locking / unlocking specific animations and behaviors, only changing tuning values with existing behaviors which are always on

It's not "marketing BS". There are actual technical and project management reasons why things do and don't happen. The sooner we all understand that and show some patience and appreciation for how open Madden is with their development process - especially relative to other AAA video games - the happier we will all be.
Again if thats the case why is the slider in the game and why were penalties based on real life data not implemented in at least sim mode put in...It went from people complained to much to the technology and animations wont allow it..yet the same PI animations have been playing and kept in the game since 16..cmon man I respect the developers but it is clear the tourney crowd didnt want it..technology and the fact that DH would be taken out was never relayed up front so when you see it in sim mode I expect it to be implemented as advertised..once again relaying this when the cycle is over is fishy at best..And patience? Really? I think the majority have shown patience through good and bad with the developers but if you pay 60 for a game it should work as advertised..WE pay for the product man somehow your patience comment makes it seem as we should just fall in line with whatever is put out..when in reality we have but if sim mode was created for sim players it should be implemented correctly if not leave it out until it is..

Last edited by edaddy; 12-11-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
Should be in the game as well as PI in all modes (on users and CPU) - personell has to matter. Just b/c your LB has great speed doenst mean he has ball skills or downfield coverage skills. Gotta make personnel decisions matter.
That is sim at its finest my man good points
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #22
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

Patience lol. EA has been asking for patience for 12 years now. We are still talking about real life football elements not being represented in the only NFL game available, from a major developer. I'm over it. You can look through my posting history. I have defended EA year in and year out. But they have proven they are simply incapable of producing a quality yearly release. Every year more things are removed or broken out of the box. I am sick of half assed features that half work, with promises to improve upon things later.

This is the equivalent of NBA 2k putting out NBA 2k19 without reaching fouls. You know that would never happen, right?

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
This is the equivalent of NBA 2k putting out NBA 2k19 without reaching fouls. You know that would never happen, right?
They know but they'll never admit it.

Madden is the only sport game I have ever seen that consistently has an excuse.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #24
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Per Clint on Twitter, Tiburon listened to overwhelming player feedback about defensive holding and players' frustrations with that in tuning its frequency way down.

We can't simultaneously call EA morons for listening to their consumers and also complain that EA doesn't listen to their consumers. Those two things are directly in opposition to one another.

To the topic - obviously defensive holding should be in the game, especially on simulation game style, and also as a consequence for what personnel users deploy and how users call their defense.
We can, however, call them out on having three modes and not leaving defensive holding alone in Simulation mode.

As far as "as a consequence" of what users do, I think 95% of the calls should be, and 5% random, to better reflect reality. What users doing to affect should be, IMHO: choosing to have the dbs play aggressively in coach adjustments, playing press man or press zone, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »