Home

New Madden NFL 18 Update Available, Audibles on the Fly -Patch Notes Here

This is a discussion on New Madden NFL 18 Update Available, Audibles on the Fly -Patch Notes Here within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #193
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: New Madden NFL 18 Update Available, Audibles on the Fly -Patch Notes Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Was finally happy with QB play and enjoying my Franchise for the first time since 16, and then this. I know they do their best, but something has to happen to better prevent stuff like this. It's too frequent. I don't know if that's doing a beta release of a patch to a select group, or even allow a rollback.

I have some time off now and want to get after my CFM, and I know a lot of others here feel the same way. I think a lot of us even understand the constraints of the dev cycle, and are sympathetic in giving constructive feedback, and understanding we'll probably be waiting until November to get the game up to par. We just can't have this happen in no time after a big positive leap though. Tiburon deserved the praise for what they put out with 1.08, and they deserve some harsh criticism for letting this slip through. It is imo a single player gamebreaking bug, and it shouldn't happen half-way through the release cycle. Hopefully it's one-off and an anomaly of what we can expect going forward with Madden
Bingo!!! Excellent post my man..I was actually having a blast and accidently downloaded the patch..kicking myself...ugghhh
Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #194
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Purely speculation on my part, but it almost feels like they have a real source control problem. It's like the modules they incorporate into updates are back leveled in some instances. That could be why we see old issues popping up again after updates and patches.

I can only imagine the amount of modules they have to "recompile" when they produce an patch or update. Partner this with the team admittedly not knowing what ramifications certain types of changes can have and you can wind up with a hot mess.

I have seen continued lack of sideline awareness recently for receivers and backs. I see receivers continuing to run patterns 5-15 yards out of bounds. I see ball carriers not making sharp enough turns to avoid going out of bounds. I thought this stuff was addressed last year? It's back. Just an example, but you see what I mean...

C
Great post. AI fix/updates regression has been a thing with EA football games for so long.

I remember when cpu RB's in NCAA basically had no spatial awareness for multiple releases.

How many times have we been told sideline awareness has been fixed or tuned? Once again I'm seeing RBs take the ball straight out of bounds when thrown to in the flats.

Between tuning core AI and trying to add further depth to gameplay with traits, things have gotten pretty fussy for the devs.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #195
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
At the absolute minimum, MUT daily / weekly challenges and Play Now Live games are single player affairs, and those get tested before they are made live in the game as to ensure the rewards are delivered to users who win those challenges.

More likely it's because that bug in particular didn't cause a crash or any in-game instability, so it was flagged as a non-blocking and low-priority bug (i.e. it isn't a showstopper which should halt the release of the update), therefore it was reasonable to schedule work to fix that bug for later.

There are always perfectly reasonable explanations which are more likely than "EA is lazy" once you understand and appreciate the process of making a video game. There is a method to the madness, as it were.

I've been over this before but I'll say it again: y'all seriously don't give the people working QA departments enough credit. QA people are some of the hardest-working and most dedicated people in the industry, despite having some of the most brutal and thankless work thrust upon them.

EA and other AAAs are all serious about their QA process. That said, QA doesn't magically fix everything, particularly in a live service product with routine releases with hard deadlines which can't move. Stuff breaks. It sucks, but it's a fact of life. Humans aren't perfect. Let's be understanding here.
I think you're misunderstanding where my frustration is directed. Also, I don't think going back and forth is going to help much, but I just wanted to close my thoughts and say the following...

I don't blame the QA employees themselves, I blame the process.

My frustration with the poor results of the QA process at EA is not directed at the employees themselves. I am sure they are awesome, hard-working, dedicated men and women who want Madden to be an awesome football video game. No doubt in my mind about that.

My frustration is not with the employees, it is with the PROCESS. I stand by my belief that EA's QA process for Madden is, and has been, a consistent failure. I am willing to bet that QA employees work hard and identify things, but what good is cataloguing glitches if the resources are not dedicated to fix what is discovered? What good is identifying a glitch if it will be left glitched?

To put it more succinctly... I don't blame QA employees, I believe the QA process at EA has been a failure due to lack resources. This year MAJOR bugs were introduced via patches, just like last year, and certainly in years before that as well. I don't know the protocol of EA's QA process... but I do know for years it has produced lousy results. To me this means likely more resources are needed, things like more employees, beta group testers for patches, more dev time to fix identified issues.

But additional employees, developers, and beta testers take resources(Money).

I stand by my belief that EA's QA process is a failure. But I don't want that be confused to mean I think every man and woman that does QA work for EA must be lazy or something, because I most definitely do not think that.

It's possible for a company to have good employees and bad operating procedures.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #196
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Purely speculation on my part, but it almost feels like they have a real source control problem. It's like the modules they incorporate into updates are back leveled in some instances. That could be why we see old issues popping up again after updates and patches.

I can only imagine the amount of modules they have to "recompile" when they produce an patch or update. Partner this with the team admittedly not knowing what ramifications certain types of changes can have and you can wind up with a hot mess.

I have seen continued lack of sideline awareness recently for receivers and backs. I see receivers continuing to run patterns 5-15 yards out of bounds. I see ball carriers not making sharp enough turns to avoid going out of bounds. I thought this stuff was addressed last year? It's back. Just an example, but you see what I mean...

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Great post. AI fix/updates regression has been a thing with EA football games for so long.

I remember when cpu RB's in NCAA basically had no spatial awareness for multiple releases.

How many times have we been told sideline awareness has been fixed or tuned? Once again I'm seeing RBs take the ball straight out of bounds when thrown to in the flats.

Between tuning core AI and trying to add further depth to gameplay with traits, things have gotten pretty fussy for the devs.
Yes, legacy issues returning the next year or even in the same year after a future update probably bothers me more than anything.

I agree with Coffee's post as well in that from the outside looking in, their testing methodology/protocol seems particularly vulnerable to significant(from a User POV not a developer one) gameplay bugs popping in what seems to be every other update. This is especially true when it comes to the play of the CPU.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #197
Rookie

the absolute worst part of this was the game was playing the best it had all year. it was really fun finally. i'm so bummed out right now.

they need to be able to roll back patches or let you choose the past couple. arrghh.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #198
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I usually try to stay positive, but the game hasn’t been the same since 1.07. I know the vitriol is on 1.08 but 1.07 was a horrible patch too aside from the qb fix. All pro is a mess right now with weak coverage and so on. The ‘slowdown ‘ glitch is just icing on the cake, rendering user vs cpu play untenable.

I would almost rather go back to 1.06 and the qb ai issues than deal with the current mess.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #199
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I usually try to stay positive, but the game hasn’t been the same since 1.07. I know the vitriol is on 1.08 but 1.07 was a horrible patch too aside from the qb fix. All pro is a mess right now with weak coverage and so on. The ‘slowdown ‘ glitch is just icing on the cake, rendering user vs cpu play untenable.

I would almost rather go back to 1.06 and the qb ai issues than deal with the current mess.
Man, I'm on 1.07 and as much as I gripe about things like playbooks and EA's generally unsatisfying approach to offline franchise mode, I have 1.07 humming and get great defense.

I think 1.04 may have been better because of the pancake glitch that came in with 1.05 (I think), but there's defense for days in 1.07. I think that, minus the pancakes, and minus the basic CFM complaints, the game play on 1.07 is as good as I've ever seen it.

I've been meaning to state this somewhere for the sake of balance, as much of my posting of late has been sharply critical.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #200
Rookie

cuoreceltico's Arena

I was thinking of a simple but simple equation, if you're not able to program a patch, you're probably not be able to program a videogame, and if you're not be able to program a videogame, maybe you're not be able to program a patch. bingo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »