Home

Playoff tiebreakers screwed up in Madden 18

This is a discussion on Playoff tiebreakers screwed up in Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Playoff tiebreakers screwed up in Madden 18

With the playoffs upon us I decided to sim through a season, while fixing the results to get the exact same records as in real life.

I finally get through the sim and bring up the playoff matchups and low and behold they have the Ravens in the final AFC wildcard spot instead of the Bills.

Both same records at 9-7, so it’s obvious that Madden doesn’t recognize the real life tiebreakers of the NFL. It’s really irritating when EA can’t get the simplest things right in this game. Anyone else try this and run into this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Favorite Teams:
NFL: Detroit Lions
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
MLB: Detroit Tigers
NBA: Detroit Pistons
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Playoff tiebreakers screwed up in Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBeard52
With the playoffs upon us I decided to sim through a season, while fixing the results to get the exact same records as in real life.

I finally get through the sim and bring up the playoff matchups and low and behold they have the Ravens in the final AFC wildcard spot instead of the Bills.

Both same records at 9-7, so it’s obvious that Madden doesn’t recognize the real life tiebreakers of the NFL. It’s really irritating when EA can’t get the simplest things right in this game. Anyone else try this and run into this issue?

When you say fixed the results you mean that you had the correct winner and loser or did you take it a step further and simulate until you got the correct final score as well?

Scoring and touchdowns are part of the tiebreakers for separating wildcard spots. In real life, scoring and consequently, combined scoring rank among common opponents would be different- thus rendering your result different.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Rookie

IlliniOne82's Arena

OVR: 1

In real life it came down to a strength of victory tiebreaker after conference record and record vs. common opponents was the same. I’m not completely surprised that the game doesn’t have the strength of victory tiebreaker programmed in. I would guess that takes a lot more coding than just head to head or conference record. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done but I’m not that upset they didn’t spend the time on something that hasn’t come into play in real life since 2010. I am curious what tiebreaker it used to put Baltimore in over Buffalo though.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniOne82
In real life it came down to a strength of victory tiebreaker after conference record and record vs. common opponents was the same. I’m not completely surprised that the game doesn’t have the strength of victory tiebreaker programmed in. I would guess that takes a lot more coding than just head to head or conference record. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done but I’m not that upset they didn’t spend the time on something that hasn’t come into play in real life since 2010. I am curious what tiebreaker it used to put Baltimore in over Buffalo though.

Strength of victory is based on opponent’s win/loss percentage to my knowledge. I would think that it would be correct in Madden as well. Unless I’m mistaken on that last point.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

They haven’t had the right tie-breakers for years.

Each year around this time there is always a post or two when people discover this for the first time.

I don’t think it’s possible to get the seeding right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
Strength of victory is based on opponent’s win/loss percentage to my knowledge. I would think that it would be correct in Madden as well. Unless I’m mistaken on that last point.

Just the correct wins and losses. So the scores weren’t the same as real life. I did read somewhere else that Madden uses points allowed as a tiebreaker. If that’s the case, that’s extremely lazy for a game that claims it’s supposed to be a representation of what we see on Sunday.

Favorite Teams:
NFL: Detroit Lions
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
MLB: Detroit Tigers
NBA: Detroit Pistons
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

its simple maths as with nearly anything non field related, in the past ties were worse than losing for example. they do not take care in what they do and its obvious
Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBeard52
Just the correct wins and losses. So the scores weren’t the same as real life. I did read somewhere else that Madden uses points allowed as a tiebreaker. If that’s the case, that’s extremely lazy for a game that claims it’s supposed to be a representation of what we see on Sunday.

I truly believe Sim A Win needs to be more advanced in what we can determine other than who takes the W and who takes the L. Being allowed to set our own scores before simulating would be the next step to make Sim A Win better. That also would allow us to better deal with ties as we could set the score to finish in a tie. Then once we choose the score, the game would simulate stats based on the score we put in.

I think that would deal with the issue of the amount of points scored being taken into account as a tiebreaker into Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »