Home

Opening kickoff

This is a discussion on Opening kickoff within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Opening kickoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Madden has it wrong then but I've never tried that option so I'll take your word for it.

A team would be stupid to lose the toss but still receive because the coin toss winner chose the wind instead of deferring and then not choose to receive with the first choice in the second half.

It's pretty disappointing that Madden has it wrong.
It used to be random for the CPU in M15 (last Madden I played). I'm confidant the settings for the CPU are 1st choice: Against Wind 2nd choice: Receive. And those settings are never randomized.

Because with my settings I occasionally kick off with the wind, which means the CPU must have won and chosen Against Wind.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Nemo
Why would a team kick both halves? Madden doesnt have it wrong because that doesnt exist.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
It does exist, it's just rare.

The only time I remember a team choosing to kick in the second half with the choice is Bill Belickek and I believe it was a snow game with extreme conditions.

Not sure of your understanding of how the coin toss works but the team that wins the coin toss in the first half can take first choice and can either kick, receive, take the wind in either direction, OR defer their first choice to the second half.

If they defer, the team that loses the toss is pretty much forced to receive because if they choose to kick, the team that won the opening toss gets to pick first in the second half would must likely choose to receive thus forcing the team that lost the opening coin toss to kick in both the first half and the second half.

When you hear a team has chosen to defer after winning the opening coin toss, it literally means they are deferring their first choice to the second half rather than taking it in the first half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
It used to be random for the CPU in M15 (last Madden I played). I'm confidant the settings for the CPU are 1st choice: Against Wind 2nd choice: Receive. And those settings are never randomized.

Because with my settings I occasionally kick off with the wind, which means the CPU must have won and chosen Against Wind.
I believe you with regards to Madden, I've never tried any other setting other than defer or receive mainly because I just hoped Madden had it right.

Last edited by kehlis; 12-14-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Pro

Devaster's Arena

There is no defer option in CFM. Not sure about other modes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #12
Rookie

Definitely learned something nee today. I guess since i always see them kick i just assumed deferred meant receivr in the 2nd half.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Nemo
Definitely learned something nee today. I guess since i always see them kick i just assumed deferred meant receivr in the 2nd half.

That is the danger of learning football from Madden, I guess.

Once had an intramural flag football game where the other team's captain thought the same thing. Our captain was on the ball . . . and we would have got the ball for both halves, except the ref took pity on the other team and basically arbitrarily awarded them possession for the 2nd half. We won handily anyway.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #14
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
If your setting is set to defer if you win the toss the CPU almost always chooses to receive so you're almost guaranteed to kickoff. Seems like I kickoff every game.

If you want a bit of a variety switch your primary choice to receive.

(At least that's the way I see, I don't have nearly the sample size of games most do though)
This is correct. I do this and it varies quite well.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
It does exist, it's just rare.

The only time I remember a team choosing to kick in the second half with the choice is Bill Belickek and I believe it was a snow game with extreme conditions.

Not sure of your understanding of how the coin toss works but the team that wins the coin toss in the first half can take first choice and can either kick, receive, take the wind in either direction, OR defer their first choice to the second half.

If they defer, the team that loses the toss is pretty much forced to receive because if they choose to kick, the team that won the opening toss gets to pick first in the second half would must likely choose to receive thus forcing the team that lost the opening coin toss to kick in both the first half and the second half.

When you hear a team has chosen to defer after winning the opening coin toss, it literally means they are deferring their first choice to the second half rather than taking it in the first half.

I believe you with regards to Madden, I've never tried any other setting other than defer or receive mainly because I just hoped Madden had it right.
I think that was actually in overtime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 AM   #16
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

I don’t understand why a properly animated pre-game coin toss hasn’t been added yet. Especially given that if your game goes to OT, the players meet at the 50 yd line and there’s a coin toss!!! Seems daft that I have to select this stuff before the game starts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »