Home

Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

This is a discussion on Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 AM   #9
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
On the topic of scouting, what do the red and green diamonds mean? I assumed it meant green means he is a better prospect that his original projection showed and red means worse, but I see guys projected to go undrafted get the green diamonds. I might need to cut back on my scouting to stop revealing them
Green means his "talent" level ranking is the same or above his projected ranking based on "skills." Red the opposite. Guys with red diamonds can still be good draft picks if the difference isn't too big, they have a good combine, and most importantly you have reason to believe, from their draft story, they may have Quick or Superstar development.

Last edited by mlb61; 12-19-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

My only house rule for progression:

Don't upgrade any physical or on-field attributes (i.e. Block Shedding, Catch in Traffic, BC vision etc) until the player has at least an 80 OVR awareness rating.

The CPU upgrades Awareness and Play Recognition a lot, so this helps even the playing field a bit.

Love the scouting house rules everyone posted, I might start using those!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Rookie

My league has eliminated trading for cpu draft picks unless it’s through a player you have on trade block. Otherwise you have to wait until the draft so it’s not as easy to acquire them.

We also made it so you can trade for 85+ ovr players and 75+ ovr rookies. Otherwise we would always stockpile all the talent and draft picks.

We’re also looking into making it so you can trade for players past their prime years or not being able to trade away your old guys no matter ovr for youngins but we haven’t sorted out all the details

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Rookie

I think I picked this up from Tdawg but all starters have to have atleast 80 awr before I can upgrade anything else with backups having to have atleast 70 awr. Also Starting QB I try to get their awr up to 90 before upgrading anything else and I dont upgrade the development. So if they are a 1 star then they stay a 1 star regardless of how good of a season they have.

I have to let at least one person over 80 ovr to go to free agency and if a player is asking for what seems like low money to resign I'll over pay just to make the cap more challenging.

Im going to add the draft rules some of yall listed because that will help a lot keeping my team from being OP.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
I think I picked this up from Tdawg but all starters have to have atleast 80 awr before I can upgrade anything else with backups having to have atleast 70 awr. Also Starting QB I try to get their awr up to 90 before upgrading anything else and I dont upgrade the development. So if they are a 1 star then they stay a 1 star regardless of how good of a season they have.

I have to let at least one person over 80 ovr to go to free agency and if a player is asking for what seems like low money to resign I'll over pay just to make the cap more challenging.

Im going to add the draft rules some of yall listed because that will help a lot keeping my team from being OP.
The one time I used the method of only scouting all three attributes for 1st rounders, I missed on a couple/few picks, including one day-one pick. That basically never happens to the HUM if you scout all three attributes, but it does happen to the CPU, so it seems to make drafting more realistic and balanced.

I mean, it sucks when you draft a guy and get hit with a player who will be lucky to ever crack the starting lineup, much less make it off the practice squad, but 1st round busts are pretty common, and busts are all the more common in later rounds.

I think if they made it as hard as it is IRL to land good talent in the draft, people wouldn't think the game fun. I mean, how fun would it be to have the Raiders' drafts for the era between their last 2 playoff appearances? I think it would be great, personally, but I think most Madden players would not.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

i chose the first round pick but then i roll a two dice. which ever numbers come up are the only rounds i'm allowed to make the picks (one stands for the seventh round).

this dramatically reduces the ease to load your roster.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #15
Rookie

So this seems so silly, but it really does have an impact:

When you are drafting and have decided who to pick, close your eyes when the pick report card with the players ovr and attributes comes up. Coaches don’t know if their pick was a stud or a bust the moment they pick them, so why should you?

What impact this has is when you are drafting if you really badly need to fill a hole (linebacker, for instance) maybe there is a linebacker you like in the late first round and one you also like in the late 3rd round. If you get to see the ovr of the first guy and he has great skills, then you know you don’t have to pick the other guy and can use that 3rd round pick for other positions/needs/depth. However, if you close your eyes when the pick details come up, you won’t know for sure what you should do with that later pick. Will you gamble that the 1st round pick was a good one and pick a depth lineman or a wr or something? Or will you pick the 3rd round linebacker too to help make sure you fill that linebacker need?

Silly and simple, but it really does have an impact on your draft.

Last edited by Jimbo12308; 01-04-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
So this seems so silly, but it really does have an impact:

When you are drafting and have decided who to pick, close your eyes when the pick report card with the players ovr and attributes comes up. Coaches don’t know if their pick was a stud or a bust the moment they pick them, so why should you?

What impact this has is when you are drafting if you really badly need to fill a hole (linebacker, for instance) maybe there is a linebacker you like in the late first round and one you also like in the late 3rd round. If you get to see the ovr of the first guy and he has great skills, then you know you don’t have to pick the other guy and can use that 3rd round pick for other positions/needs/depth. However, if you close your eyes when the pick details come up, you won’t know for sure what you should do with that later pick. Will you gamble that the 1st round pick was a good one and pick a depth lineman or a wr or something? Or will you pick the 3rd round linebacker too to help make sure you fill that linebacker need?

Silly and simple, but it really does have an impact on your draft.
I love this. It's not silly at all, it's fantastic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »