Home

Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

This is a discussion on Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
Rookie
 
SethMurphy's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Waterford, PA
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

You know I had never considered that but you make a really good point. We can reduce scouting or whatever ahead of time, but the moment you make the 20th overall pick you know if he is a superstar development or slow, 82 ovr or 71 ovr. You can build your drafts one pick at a time based on that, but in real life you have no idea how good a guy is going to be. You don't know if you drafted Kuechly or Barkevious Mingo until they play
SethMurphy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
Rookie
 
BB_Dynasty's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2014
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

For scouting I don't use draft stories.
XP I only upgrade rookies throughout the season. Everyone else I wait until the end of the season.
I only do trades in the offseason and just try in general to keep them realistic.
BB_Dynasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #19
Rookie
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

I don't know how this is going to turn out, but during my season, my house rule is not to scout until the off-season.

I don't like the fact that I am able to scout pretty much everyone in the draft pool, and I feel like I have a severe advantage over the CPU in choosing players.

So I feel that taking some randoms in positions that I need with only the combine numbers may help balance things out, as well as strategically choosing who I scout through the off-season.
Nickda55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,293
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickda55
I don't know how this is going to turn out, but during my season, my house rule is not to scout until the off-season.

I don't like the fact that I am able to scout pretty much everyone in the draft pool, and I feel like I have a severe advantage over the CPU in choosing players.

So I feel that taking some randoms in positions that I need with only the combine numbers may help balance things out, as well as strategically choosing who I scout through the off-season.
This is a great concept. You lose 50% of your points every week, but you get far too many points as it is. Do you have any idea how many points you have/ how much of the class you can scout if you do this? I may sim and see how this shakes out.

* Edit: I just simmed a season and ended the season with 399 scouting points. You get additional points in three disbursements in the off season, so I had about 1,000 to spend. I estimated that I could scout 10 1st rounders fully and could scout 25 other players to 2 attributes.

This would obviously be challenging, but I think it sounds viable. You would have to prioritize certain positions and scout mostly within scheme. You’d also likely have to make a pick or 2 on combine scores, but I think that sounds better and more challenging than the current scenario, which is far too easy.

Last edited by RogueHominid; 01-05-2018 at 01:41 PM.
RogueHominid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #21
Pro
 
kwpit79's Arena
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Some good ideas! I like the closing-your-eyes after-each-pick one especially.

I basically only have a handful of scouting/drafting house rules. Two that immediately come to mind:

1.) No more than two picks in any one round, and no more than ten picks altogether.
2.) No looking at the draft stories (I've done enough of these drafts during testing to figure out who's going to be a star, so now I just don't look at them).
kwpit79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #22
MVP
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I stopped allowing myself to sign undrafted offensive linemen because they're too easy to develop. I don't look at the draft stories. I don't have any trade rules, but if any offer sounds too good to be true I reduce what the cpu is offering to make it something I would feel is more realistic
a long time ago, i stopped doing this with LB. it was too easy to sign the fast LB and turn him into a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickda55
I don't know how this is going to turn out, but during my season, my house rule is not to scout until the off-season.

I don't like the fact that I am able to scout pretty much everyone in the draft pool, and I feel like I have a severe advantage over the CPU in choosing players.

So I feel that taking some randoms in positions that I need with only the combine numbers may help balance things out, as well as strategically choosing who I scout through the off-season.
i've been considering doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
Some good ideas! I like the closing-your-eyes after-each-pick one especially.

I basically only have a handful of scouting/drafting house rules. Two that immediately come to mind:

1.) No more than two picks in any one round, and no more than ten picks altogether.
2.) No looking at the draft stories (I've done enough of these drafts during testing to figure out who's going to be a star, so now I just don't look at them).
the best one i've done is using a dice to draft. before the draft starts, i roll a dice twice. whatever two numbers are rolled, i must draft a player i know sucks.

the other thing i must do is only draft players who fit the scheme fit i have set. not allowed to draft a stud LT if he's a ZB when my scheme is for PB.
ajra21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #23
MVP
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
So this seems so silly, but it really does have an impact:

When you are drafting and have decided who to pick, close your eyes when the pick report card with the players ovr and attributes comes up. Coaches donít know if their pick was a stud or a bust the moment they pick them, so why should you?

What impact this has is when you are drafting if you really badly need to fill a hole (linebacker, for instance) maybe there is a linebacker you like in the late first round and one you also like in the late 3rd round. If you get to see the ovr of the first guy and he has great skills, then you know you donít have to pick the other guy and can use that 3rd round pick for other positions/needs/depth. However, if you close your eyes when the pick details come up, you wonít know for sure what you should do with that later pick. Will you gamble that the 1st round pick was a good one and pick a depth lineman or a wr or something? Or will you pick the 3rd round linebacker too to help make sure you fill that linebacker need?

Silly and simple, but it really does have an impact on your draft.
that is superb! so simple.

i firmly believe madden should remove all OVR ratings. one of the best sim games ever was championship manager. every player had more than 30 individual attributes but no OVR. that allowed you to look at attributes that you considered to be useful. it would make the all aspects of madden immediately more realistic.

also, i'd have the following:
- immediately following the draft, no ratings for any rookie.
- every pre-season game they play, a few attribute ratings are revealed.
- this continues through the first season until all are revealed.
- during their sophomore season, randomly, some attributes get worse which would allow for players to be exposed as "more teams get film on them".
ajra21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #24
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2013
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
So this seems so silly, but it really does have an impact:

When you are drafting and have decided who to pick, close your eyes when the pick report card with the players ovr and attributes comes up. Coaches donít know if their pick was a stud or a bust the moment they pick them, so why should you?

What impact this has is when you are drafting if you really badly need to fill a hole (linebacker, for instance) maybe there is a linebacker you like in the late first round and one you also like in the late 3rd round. If you get to see the ovr of the first guy and he has great skills, then you know you donít have to pick the other guy and can use that 3rd round pick for other positions/needs/depth. However, if you close your eyes when the pick details come up, you wonít know for sure what you should do with that later pick. Will you gamble that the 1st round pick was a good one and pick a depth lineman or a wr or something? Or will you pick the 3rd round linebacker too to help make sure you fill that linebacker need?

Silly and simple, but it really does have an impact on your draft.


This is absolutely beautiful. It is a simple, but elegant way of responding to rebuild and reloading situations. I will definitely be adopting this moving forward.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
the other thing i must do is only draft players who fit the scheme fit i have set. not allowed to draft a stud LT if he's a ZB when my scheme is for PB.


I do this to a point. I will draft outside of scheme if I think a player may be worth it, but I won't scout out of 'scheme.' I keep a range of scheme's available for my playstyle. Once I have that range set, and scouting becomes available, I set my watch list immediately based on those schemes. It's less limiting than sticking 100% to scheme, but limiting enough that I won't scout that 'stud' strong arm qb that's listed as the #1 prospect. I'll then only scout within that watch list. Once the combine becomes available, I'll add unscouted players to my watch list based on their results (say if the fastest running back was balanced and wasn't on my scout/watch list previously). He still won't get scouted.

I only draft from my watch list. If my watch list gets depleted, I'll look to trade out, or I sim my remaining picks.

When it comes to trading, I set my trade block during the preseason based on position battles and contracts (I want to give someone the opportunity to start if they won't be starting for me). I'll typically trade out of conference, and take between the middle of the road and the worst offer. I'll always take the worst offer if its for someone in their contract year.

The last big house rule I use comes with my roster breakdown. 25 offense (2 qb, 5 hb/fb, 7wr/te, 11 ol), 25 defense (7 dl, 9 lb, 9 db), 3 special teams (1K/1P/1KR). Even if my best KR is within those 50, I'll get another KR outside of that to be my primary. My practice squad will consist of 5 offense (1 qb, 1 hb, 1 wr/te, 2 ol) and 5 defense ( 1 dt, 1 de/lb, 1 lb, 2 db). If I get an injury that requires IR, I will only draw from my practice squad.
Rollo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Top -